To Clean or not to clean?

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by knayewesttx, Jun 2, 2009.

1. knayewesttx

knayewesttx New Member

Dec 15, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Is it best to clean your semi-auto handgun each time after going to the range? or is it best to clean it after 2 or 3 visits to the range?

2. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    can't clean it too much imo. I own a glock, at the very least I'll run a boresnake through the barrel every time I get home from the range. I usually detail strip and clean every third trip. On the other hand I know alot of folks who never clean their firearms (makes me shudder thinking about it) but they never seem to have an issue. Hell, my uncle believes firing a round cleans the barrel.

3. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Depends on the gun.

My Glock doesn't ever need cleaning, but any of my STI's, when I had them, will be cleaned all the time.

4. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    General rule is every time you fire it or twice a year. I do have some guns that do not get fired. The get cleaned{ bore snaked and oiled} every six months.

5. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Yep - old school ways.
    Shoot it clean it - sits in case 6 months wipe it down and swab the barrel with fresh oil.
    On composite frame guns I clean them even more often.
    I do not want to chance that whatever dirt, contaminated oil / slide grease penetrates the composite and causes some form of damage.
    Being a machinist by trade I am anal about clean tools and equipment.
    Ok, ok I know some say I am just anal! LOL!!!!

6. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I clean after each range session, and safe queens twice a year, although there is quite a bit less barrel work needed on Queenie. .22's get three passes with a bore snake and a wipe down, then detailed once a year or 2000 rounds or so. Would your gun still function and not rust out if not cleaned after 200 rounds at the range? Sure, Todays powders and primers are pretty much non corrosive and unless you were shooting in the rain it would no doubt be just fine for awhile. But I rather enjoy cleaning them, as long as I've got a little time to kill.

Slight thread drift:
    And to Texas1911's point, there is something in the construction Glock's that keeps them very clean even after hundreds of rounds. I can put 200+ rounds through my G19, and the action, insides of the slide, down the mag well and even the Mags barely show any fouling. Quick wipe with a little CLP and those parts are good to go. Of course the insides of the barrel needs the normal workout, but polygonal barrels seem easier to clean to me.

7. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I clean my pistol every 2 months if it has not been fired. It is the gun I carry at work so it has to work. I try to clean my rifle and shot gun every 6 months if they have not been fired But they usually don't make that 6 month mark w/out getting shot. :happy0001: other than that every time I shoot I clean.

8. hk boy

hk boy Active Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    mostly it depends on the gun
    but generally semi autos need cleaning moe than revolvers

9. kville79

kville79 Active Member

May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I always wipe down after a range, leave it saturated... and within the next two days do a detailed cleaning. That and I find cleaning my guns relaxing I usually clean 1 or 2 of my guns a month just to do it.

10. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Ha ha hahaha Me to! :happy0001: