To keep or not to keep, that is the question. Dated/Older Rifles.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    Houston
    Hey guys, good morning! I'm in the process of doing inventory on an inheritance gun collection I just received. Evidently our pastor was quite the collector, even more so than myself. I received 42 freaking arms through his Will. A few of which were older military models. As you guys are most likely more in the "know" than I am, my inquiry to you would be "Should I keep these and let them grow in value? Or should I sell them and make room for actual wanted models I will use/want?"

So...are these type of rifles in demand? Do they keep growing in value over the years? Or are they so common, the return would not be worth it to keep for years in hopes of value increase? I must say the stocks are pretty, a variety of colors.

They are the following:

3x Mosin Nagant M44 7.62x54r
    1x SKS 7.62x39

I sincerely appreciate your input on this subject.

Dave

1660656052151.png
    Texas SOT

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Typical commie guns, Millions out there, but Maybe rare versions and collectors want them. Or just milsurp to Sell and get something newer or that you really like. If you got alot of ammo keep and shoot. Alot of folks brainwashed that think every gun is a keeper. Like having a yard full of old junk cars you never drive. Oh wait, that's the American dream.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    I have an Chinese SKS made in 1955 or 56, I forget which. All numbers match and has the
    knife and not the spike. Mine is number 000,000,000,004 out of
    4,000,000,000. It's in great condition and is only missing the cleaning rod.
    Mine is also set up for the RPG. With your picture, it doesn't look like yours
    is set up for one. Just can't tell for sure. Paid $600.00 for it almost 1 year a go.

If I were you, I would keep it and shoot it as often as I could.

Last edited:

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    2 cents.... us Vietnam era vets are a declining population and are old enough to have acquired all we need.
    I see a decline in those weapon's value much like the downward slope of WW II guns.
    IF you don't love them, sell or trade for what you do love!
    Maybe keep one for a shooter / memory item.

Don't discount the remote possibility of an assault rife ban which the SKS was NOT targeted last time around, in which case they might creep up in value. (unless the USA follows the European tactic of banning military caliber weapons)

Tank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    Houston
    I sincerely appreciate your input on this subject. Some of the responses are exactly what I am pondering.

While they are in good condition and very attractive, one of the problems I am coming across is space to store. I was left so many that I do not have ample gun safe space. Never in my life I thought I would actually say "This is too many guns." but alas...this is the case. I guess like has been mentioned I need more information on them to see if they are rare or not like Seeker asked what country they are from. If not rare and part of the dime a dozen, then sell - if rare then possibly sell or keep. I will look at the markings tonight when I get home from work.

Mills, I didn't get the ammo, evidently our pastor left all of his guns to me, and his ammo to someone else. However for the Mosin Nagant, I can get one of those tin cans from the guy housing 440 rounds of 7.62x54mm for $150. It is my understanding these cans go for $250-300. Another question, buy that and use it or buy it and sell it with the guns to increase the value. Here is the can:
    1660660738046.png

Dan brings up what I was wondering as well, while they have gone up in value, these guns are not going to be something worth $1000's even later down the line. If that is the case, I should get rid of them. But again, Coyote makes a good point, these could be included in a future ban.

Survivor, thank you for that link, that is some great information!

Or may be I am over-thinking this...I'm not terribly interested in the models...and there is a ton more to research on the inventory I am doing with the rest of the collection.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    From what I've seen, both Mosins & SKS's really jumped in price 3-4 years ago, but they haven't moved that much since. Not sure what caused that spike, but without another one (or some event like bans) I'm not sure they'd keep up with inflation. I'd sell them if you aren't interested in shooting them regularly. 7.62x39 is easy to get, not so sure about 7.62x54 R.

Tank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    Houston

1911's 4 Me, I should finish inventory this week and will post them if that is allowed. I am not really looking to these forums as just a sales avenue however. Sold 11 this past weekend, and should have about 7 sold this next weekend of different makes/models. I need to learn everyone's name LOL

Robert, agreed...I saw that spike a few years ago as well, but have not kept up with the trend. I appreciate you guys input and allowing me to think this through via the forums. Sometimes you see things people say and type thoughts out which help you make a more educated decision. I think I will get rid of them, as I don't see myself taking them to the range to shoot.

Top Bottom