Guns International

To trim or not to trim... (38 Spl brass)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GP40X

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    League City, TX
    If you want pretty 38 where the cannelure shows the same amiunt of "daylight" across the batch of mixed headstamp, you have to trim AND throw away Hornady cases. There is no way around that if that is your goal. I trim 38 but I can't sell a box where it looks like the cannelure wanders, even though it doesn't.

If you just want functional ammo and dont care if the cannelure looks like it is wandering then a big middle finger to trimming and move on to other things.
    I could give a flip about pretty cases as long as they are clean. But why toss Hornady cases? I bought 2 packages of 200 count Hornady 38 Special brass and now you have me worried.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Occasionally I'll trim and weigh some cases to make the closest thing I can to "match grade" ammo. I don't anneal or turn case necks though. Usually the differences are negligible.

Adept

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2020
    Northfield, TX
    I could give a flip about pretty cases as long as they are clean. But why toss Hornady cases? I bought 2 packages of 200 count Hornady 38 Special brass and now you have me worried.
    Measure the brass. Hornady uses shorter cases for the LeveRevolution loads due to the longer tip needing to stay under max OAL. I first found this on the .45-70 loads. If your packages are standard .38Sp then no worries.
    I have loaded .38's more times than I can count, plinking loads don't stretch the brass. Use as little flare/crimp as possible and watch for splits in the neck.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I don't get a lot of splits at the case mouth. Even though I tend to give a pretty good flair because I only load lead bullets. Most of my case loss is due to longitudinal splits in the body. I don't notice anything when fired.
    20210310_181745.jpg

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin

Their more recent cases are shorter to accommodate their flex tip bullets. You'll notice it as soon as you see one, they are super obvious when you see them on the machine. If you look in their manual they list shorter trim to lengths when using the flex tip bullets. If you bought brass for reloading from them, they should be fine. I'm pretty sure they don't sell the shorter version commercially but I could be wrong.

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    The only time I have trimmed revolver cases was on some .44 Mag cases. I had Fed, Rem and Win. Major difference in length. One brand was much shorter than the other 2(all new brass). I did have to trim all to the shorter length. What a pain.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Measure the brass. Hornady uses shorter cases for the LeveRevolution loads due to the longer tip needing to stay under max OAL. I first found this on the .45-70 loads. If your packages are standard .38Sp then no worries.
    I have loaded .38's more times than I can count, plinking loads don't stretch the brass. Use as little flare/crimp as possible and watch for splits in the neck.
    I bought some FTX 458 bullets just because some of my 45-70 brass is from hornady. If I recall correctly it is almost a 1/10th of an inch shorter.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    If you want pretty 38 where the cannelure shows the same amiunt of "daylight" across the batch of mixed headstamp, you have to trim AND throw away Hornady cases. There is no way around that if that is your goal. I trim 38 but I can't sell a box where it looks like the cannelure wanders, even though it doesn't.

If you just want functional ammo and dont care if the cannelure looks like it is wandering then a big middle finger to trimming and move on to other things.
    I started to trim 38s to make pretty Ammo but after three rounds I gave up.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso

Run them through your lever gun... You’ll be bringing less of them home.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Run them through your lever gun... You’ll be bringing less of them home.

I have no problem gathering the ones out of my Model 77 Ruger.
    I most often work the action slowly and drop um right in my other hand.

And I dont trim my 38/357 cases for reload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Even though I tend to give a pretty good flair because I only load lead bullets.
    It helps if you use a Lyman M die... you don't have to use quite as much flare, and the bullets seat more easily, and with less deformation/shaving. Those dies are designed for lead or flat based bullets.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    It helps if you use a Lyman M die... you don't have to use quite as much flare, and the bullets seat more easily, and with less deformation/shaving. Those dies are designed for lead or flat based bullets.

I've tried to use a version of those but had some difficulty. I normally load on a Dillon 450 so I need a powder-through-expander die. One of the mold makers has some for the Lee Auto Disk that I tried. I ran into problems getting it where I wanted and gave up. I should try them again.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I currently have 315 pieces of once fired brass from various manufacturers and 100 pieces of virgin Hornady brass waiting to clean and was thinking about going ahead and trimming them to 1.145. My question is how often do you trim your straight walled brass?
    I shoot mostly mid velocity target 38 special. I trim ever other re-load to eliminate micro fractures which would grow into splits.I trim my .357 combat and hunting loads every time for the same reason.

Top Bottom