• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Were there a lot of crimes committed with machine guns back then? Is that why the gov banned them?
    Read up on the Firearms Protection Act of 1986
    Introduced by Republicans and signed by president Reagan
    It was something that was thrown into what was going to be a good bill to help gun owners

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Were there a lot of crimes committed with machine guns back then? Is that why the gov banned them?
    No, crime was not an issue. This law needs to be done away with.

A lot needs to be done away with...even the batf. If people still want a 4473 done they can and a state can still operate point of contact. It's just the batf as an agencie is not only a bad use of funds but their track record of being beneficial to society is kind of made up. For example research the history of 922r and you will see it's just a form of market control. I'm making up the term market control but it's basically what it is. Plus remember the batf is a branch of the treasury really. They are the treasury really. So paying a 200 dollar tax stamp for a crappy sheet of paper that says I can own my suppressor and not be arrested is ridiculous. Especially considering my background checks are fast and I held security clearances at an airport that I had more background checks done to get. That 200 dollar stamp doesn't serve a purpose. Plus we need to deregulate nfa items. Not one nfa owner to my knowledge committed a mass shooting. How many prison cells are we gonna fill up with people who who violate nfa rules? I never have but looking at it from a financial aspect, why is it even funded? Pretty much as with most gun control and especially the 1986 ban, so much of it is useless and doesn't apply to actual problems.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    No, crime was not an issue. This law needs to be done away with.

A lot needs to be done away with...even the batf. If people still want a 4473 done they can and a state can still operate point of contact. It's just the batf as an agencie is not only a bad use of funds but their track record of being beneficial to society is kind of made up. For example research the history of 922r and you will see it's just a form of market control. I'm making up the term market control but it's basically what it is. Plus remember the batf is a branch of the treasury really. They are the treasury really. So paying a 200 dollar tax stamp for a crappy sheet of paper that says I can own my suppressor and not be arrested is ridiculous. Especially considering my background checks are fast and I held security clearances at an airport that I had more background checks done to get. That 200 dollar stamp doesn't serve a purpose. Plus we need to deregulate nfa items. Not one nfa owner to my knowledge committed a mass shooting. How many prison cells are we gonna fill up with people who who violate nfa rules? I never have but looking at it from a financial aspect, why is it even funded? Pretty much as with most gun control and especially the 1986 ban, so much of it is useless and doesn't apply to actual problems.
    And, it sucks.

RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013

They had been registered under NFA for 52 years prior. There is some debate on how many murders were committed with NFA-registered machine guns during that time, with the totals cited as either one or two.

Ironically, this was an amendment to the Firearm Owners Protection Act that was designed to end ATF abuses, which it has for the most part.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Unfortunately I was so busy working and having kids at that time, I missed the boat.......A $800.00 Colt M16 then.... is now 25K........

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Unfortunately I was so busy working and having kids at that time, I missed the boat.......A $800.00 Colt M16 then.... is now 25K........

Between guns and cars, there's a lot of things I wish I would have bought back then for $1500 or less that would be worth a lot more now.

Of course that was a lot of money back then, and if I had it to spare, I probably wouldn't have invested it in anything that would have provided such a good return.

Like they say. Youth is wasted on the young.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ironically, this was an amendment to the Firearm Owners Protection Act that was designed to end ATF abuses, which it has for the most part.
    I wrote this on another forum:
    I watched the live broadcast on CSPAN as FOPA was passed. Clearly, the voice vote on the critical Hughes amendment did not pass. The acting Chair, Charlie Rangel, simply ignored what had happened, declared that it had passed, ignored pleas for a recorded vote, and moved on to other business.

It was an astonishingly brazen abuse of power.

However, that is not a sufficient reason to overturn the entirety of FOPA. Much of the law serves good purposes.

I would, however, like to see SCOTUS throw out certain “poison pill” amendments that were added at the last second, enabled via Rangel’s complete lack of integrity.

Top Bottom