• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have major respect for the guys that run the stick burners. My former neighbor was a maestro with his. I just know I don't have the patience for it.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I will eventually end up with one if this hobby sinks its teeth into me.

Trust me, the addiction is almost as bad as getting an addiction to guns!

It's more than just a hobby though, because it's can almost be practical, or at least one can use that as a justification! I have!

ETA: There is a genuine satisfaction in a group of people enjoying food you prepared and cooked. It also makes you want to increase your cooking skills and become a better cook as well.

BBQing, and grilling is much about learning by trial and error as much as anything. I have overcooked my fair share of briskets and steaks over the years! I have learned a lot from much better cooks than myself. I don't consider myself a master of the smoker or grill by any means, but I have come a long ways in over thirty years though. It's been a journey that I have enjoyed every step of the way.

Last edited:

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Trust me, the addiction is almost as bad as getting an addiction to guns!

It's more than just a hobby though, because it's can almost be practical, or at least one can use that as a justification! I have!

ETA: There is a genuine satisfaction in a group of people enjoying food you prepared and cooked. It also makes you want to increase your cooking skills and become a better cook as well.

BBQing, and grilling is much about learning by trial and error as much as anything. I have overcooked my fair share of briskets and steaks over the years! I have learned a lot from much better cooks than myself. I don't consider myself a master of the smoker or grill by any means, but I have come a long ways in over thirty years though. It's been a journey that I have enjoyed every step of the way.
    You speak the truth! Trial and error is right. I ruined a brisket so terribly about 20 years ago that I couldn’t even feed it to my dog. It would have fried out his insides. I don’t know a stick smoke fiend that hasn’t tricked out his pit. I’ve turned an Off the shelf OK Joe highland offset into a modification project. It’s kind of a family joke at this point.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    You speak the truth! Trial and error is right. I ruined a brisket so terribly about 20 years ago that I couldn’t even feed it to my dog. It would have fried out his insides. I don’t know a stick smoke fiend that hasn’t tricked out his pit. I’ve turned an Off the shelf OK Joe highland offset into a modification project. It’s kind of a family joke at this point.

Everyone ruins a couple of briskets learning. As simple as a brisket seems to be to smoke, it's way more difficult than most think when they actually do one.

I built my smoker about fifteen years ago, out of a bunch of scrap metal and various things. The only items I bought were the hinges, and the thermometers for it. Took me about six months in my spare time to build it, and it's not the most elegant looking smokers for sure, but it sure turns out great smoked meats!

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I did Wagyu flats today. Decent effort for sure. 2F8A42C4-0A6A-402D-BE82-5358F5A4CFA7.jpeg

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I did some more yardbirds today. The first ones I ran out of wood & didn't want to add. Today was to much wood & heat. They still turned out decent. I'll make white bbq sauce for the fly over bird.

I need to get some oak & hickory to kick up the smoke. Lump charcoal aint giving me the flavor I want. Anytime you can eat the mistakes works with me. The dog was a happy boy and that's only because I'm generous to him. He needs a bit of weight, the wife cooks him an egg every morning. His coat is already improving.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I did some more yardbirds today. The first ones I ran out of wood & didn't want to add. Today was to much wood & heat. They still turned out decent. I'll make white bbq sauce for the fly over bird.

I need to get some oak & hickory to kick up the smoke. Lump charcoal aint giving me the flavor I want. Anytime you can eat the mistakes works with me. The dog was a happy boy and that's only because I'm generous to him. He needs a bit of weight, the wife cooks him an egg every morning. His coat is already improving.
    Real wood- at least for the first 1/2 of the smoke is my preference as well. I lean on fruit trees. My bride prefers a lighter smoke flavor- and I always do exactly what she wants me to do all the time.

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin

I get my chunks from Fruita Wood Compsny out of Colorado. Lots of wood choices—my family has settled on Peach as our chunk of choice. It’s good with all meats. I use about three chunks per cook in my ceramic egg. I order the free shipping box, and keep my chunks in a 5 gallon bucket with a Gamma lid next to the grill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Pecan wood is excellent for smoking. It has much lighter smoke flavor than hickory of oak. One of my favorites. Fruit woods also have much more delicate smoke flavor and are really good, but for me, in very short supply around here.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Pecan wood is excellent for smoking. It has much lighter smoke flavor than hickory of oak. One of my favorites. Fruit woods also have much more delicate smoke flavor and are really good, but for me, in very short supply around here.
    Yep- I’m a pecan guy. Inexpensive and great. Pretty much all ACE Hardware stores have a great stock of all varieties of smoking wood. That’s where I get my pecan.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I get my chunks from Fruita Wood Compsny out of Colorado. Lots of wood choices—my family has settled on Peach as our chunk of choice. It’s good with all meats. I use about three chunks per cook in my ceramic egg. I order the free shipping box, and keep my chunks in a 5 gallon bucket with a Gamma lid next to the grill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I know people who have plenty of oak & hickory trees. I like pecan wood but he does not have any pecan trees.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I know people who have plenty of oak & hickory trees. I like pecan wood but he does not have any pecan trees.

Oak and hickory are still good woods for smoking, just that they have much stronger smoke flavor than pecan or fruit woods. And it also comes down to personal preference. Some people prefer their BBQ with a much stronger smoke flavoring. Personally, I just happen to prefer a more delicate smoke flavor for my BBQ.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    I'm lazy as in I have 1 of those pelit grills. I've been waiting to try apple wood, pecan and 1 other I don't recall right now? So far on any chicken, beef and fish I've used 2/3 mesquite with 1/3 hickory. My wife likes my calogne (from grilling) as she can smell me all day and night without naggin'. I usually cook from 310°-350° 45 to 75 minutes, because we like the good and dead animals! We don't like the kikkin' and bellerin' on the plate.

Top Bottom