• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    We haven't settled on a property yet, but I'm leaning toward a bit more rural, with a chunk of land if we can find the right piece, but we may yet wind up in town in a nice neighborhood.

You don’t have to be rural to experience this kind of nature, you just don’t have to be 100% concrete.

...How often do these damned things make their way indoors? They crawl in at the thresholds or thru the jambs, or up thru the siding?

Like anything, leave the door or window open and they’ll walk right on in, especially if there’s a food source.

...Looks like I'll be doing regular bug spraying in addition to the landscaping.
    Be careful with that, as it may increase the critters’ immunity.
    ARJ Defense ad

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Don't forget coyotes, bobcats, lions and bears. I don't see any lions or bears where I'm at but I've seen them. Bobcats and coyotes are all over where I live. Or the infamous Coral snake...

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Get a black light flashlight. They glow in the dark.
    I recommend this. They light up like a neon sign is what they do. We found two last night in the garden that you would have NEVER found with any flashlight. It really can't be described, or adequately photographed. It's like they're lit from within. It's also pretty amazing what else pops out in the UV. lost chunks of trimmer line are positively nuclear.

Kind of like this, only brighter and more contrast (and ours look more yellow):
    article-0-0F4D475600000578-353_634x795.jpg

Attachments

• article-0-0F4D475600000578-353_634x795.jpg
      article-0-0F4D475600000578-353_634x795.jpg
      83.5 KB · Views: 366
    Last edited:

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Don't forget coyotes, bobcats, lions and bears. I don't see any lions or bears where I'm at but I've seen them. Bobcats and coyotes are all over where I live. Or the infamous Coral snake...

These are all pretty cool animals. We have a pack of coyotes that roam our neighborhood currently. There's a city park 1/4 mile north of us with some thick woods, a pond, and a creek flowing through - besides the resident homeless humans, we've got a herd of deerk, some elk, coyotes, coons and nutria that live there. The coyotes saunter down the middle of the street like they own the place at night. No fear of humans.

Bobcats are cool, I've only seen one in person here despite their abundance. The closest I've ever come to seeing a bear in person in this state outside of a zoo was exploring a new creek drainage in the coast range mountains a few years ago. The state had just opened that particular creek up to year-round fishing, so I made a January 2nd excursion up there. Wound up following a set of bear tracks for over a mile as I picked my way upstream. Never did get to see the bear, but his tracks were fresh and crisp in the soggy spongey soil.

I follow Bob Hansler on YouTube and he has some interesting snake trapping videos and shows how to use a crawfish trap as a snake trap, I'll be picking up a few of those to help relocate any of the venomous varieties we come across. I think he's caught everything but a cottonmouth in his videos on snake trapping. Lots of the "good" non-venomous kinds that get let go on site to help with rodent control.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Don't let him scare you too much. As long as you drink Shiner or Lone Star beer, (a lot of it!) scorpion stings are not worse that mosquito bites.

I'm screwed then, since the only beer I drink is root beer!

View attachment 216478

If my choice was scorpion venom or Shiner, I guess I'll die, too......

....fellow root beer aficionado, here.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Stupid questions - how nasty are their stings, and how prevalent are these damn things?

My son is a burgeoning entomologist, he's studied bugs all year in school as his choice in free learning and he is obsessed with scorpions. He can identify different breeds, and he's excited as all git about actually moving down to a place where we may encounter them. He used to play with garter snakes all the time as a toddler much to the distress and dismay of his mom and grandmothers. I broke him of that habit, as I eventually wanted to take him to the wilder parts of our current home state where rattlers are not uncommon as he got older. Now with us moving down to Texas in a couple months, we're looking at gators, scorpions, and four varieties of venomous snakes snakes on top of all of God's other impractical jokes on humanity...

We haven't settled on a property yet, but I'm leaning toward a bit more rural, with a chunk of land if we can find the right piece, but we may yet wind up in town in a nice neighborhood. How often do these damned things make their way indoors? They crawl in at the thresholds or thru the jambs, or up thru the siding? I'm already planning on some landscaping around the place to deter critters as my mother in law is deathly afraid of snakes, and my wife is not the biggest fan either. Looks like I'll be doing regular bug spraying in addition to the landscaping.

Texas needs to adopt the nickname of "The American Outback" :laughing: not quite everything wants to kill you, but a lot of stuff does.
    Hurting my shoulder getting my shirt off hurt worse than the sting

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    When we first moved onto our home about sixteen years ago, for the first two years, we had a serious scorpion problem during the spring and summer months. We we even kill a few during the fall and winter as well. It was recommended to my by a friend to try out the Hot Shot Home Insect Killer spray in the gallon jug. I put it in my two gallon garden sprayer and spray the foundation about three times a year. It also works well on the ant as well. After using the Hot Shot, our scorpion problem was cut drastically. We still have the occasional one, but nothing like we did have. The Hot Shot spray does seem to work pretty good for us.

Top Bottom