• mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    You gize ....

I have no expectation that it will be water tight.
    Lots of water gets in right now without ANY cover.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Update:

Bakflip F1 installed.

Took about an hour ... most of the time was spent trying to get it all aligned and square.
    Still not 100% satisfied. The last door doesn't seem to engage the latches smoothly.
    It appears the rear seal is keeping the latches from meeting the striker.
    I have to push down pretty hard to get it to latch ... it won't slam shut.

Everything I've read says the seals will take a shape after a few days.

Then I will realign it.

Chose NOT to install the rain gutter down tubes. I'm not drilling a hole in my truck.
    Farmer's Almanac says we will remain in these drought type conditions till the next El Nino pattern returns in about 2020.
    So I think I'll be OK ... that and I never expected the bed to now be water tight.
    If I expected that, I would have bought a Suburban.

Bakflip_F1_1.jpg

BakBox tool box installed.

Install took about 20 minutes ... longer to unpack and organize all the pieces.

Jury is still out on this thing. Have to open the cover all the way to access the box and if installed per the terrible instructions, 1/2 the box is still covered by the Bakflip. So I moved it out to clear the first panel which means I lost about 6" of the bed with the thing folded up.

Its a neat idea, but seems like an after-thought rather than an integrated option.

AMP research bed step installed.

What can I say ... too everything that goes with being not young to get into the bed of the truck.

I like this gadget. Tucks away nicely, easy to use and simple to install ... only took about 15 minutes.

Pricey, but cheaper than a knee replacement.

BedStep_1.jpg

AMP research bed extender.

I like BEs although not for everyone. Looks nice and works great with the F1 cover.

Took over an hour to put this Jinga puzzle together.
    Instructions are really good ... if one choses to read them.
    Save yourself some time ... THOROUGHLY read the instructions.

Last edited:

Lucas Mccain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Trophy Club Texas
    I just installed mine about an hour ago. Took me about 45 min. I also am not 100% satisifaied with the alignment but mine does shut on its own if I hold it about 4 inches open and just let go, so I probably will not adjust. I also installed the drain tubes. You don't really drill through the truck you just drill through the plastic cover that is covering the hole that was put in the bed by the manufacture. If I ever take the bakflip off for good I just have to get new hole covers which are about $3 a piece from Toyota (I called before I drilled).

Overall I am satisifed and can live with a little of unalignment because this thing is sturdy and is built well.

I do have a question for Mitch.

I did not install the back weather strip because I have a srapy in bed liner but my rail liner is not spray on its the plastic one that sits on top of the rail. Becasue of this the back of the cover sits a tad bit higher than the spray on material. I thought if I did install the weather stripping it would eventually come off becasue it would be sitting on the spray bed liner, although it may not because of the pressure the cover would put on it. Do you think I should install the weather strip or not worry about it?

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    A day in the sun made all the difference ... shuts much better now.

Truck needed a wash, so I went through an automated car wash ... damp spots only under the cover. Whoop!
    I decided to not install the drains and do a wait and to see if it was necessary.

The plastic penetrations are covered in Line-X so it was more of an issue in my case.

The Line-X wraps over the top of the front bed rail so I put the weather strip on. The seal on the cover was at a very skewed angle, possibly catching air and making an opening. So I removed it.

My misalignment really shows on the tail gate ... maybe 1/8".

Top Bottom