• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • balloo93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Sunday was actually quite nice here in Austin. So I thought about a tiny state park near me that I have not been to in literally 20yrs. We packed up our stuff and headed out.

The park was nicer than I remembered it being. We made our way to the "Upper Falls" that is fed by the creek which is spring fed. Wasn't much flowing, but as a kid there was plenty of water. I was surprised it still had water in the main pools as we have had next to 0 rainfall this year.

SAM_0083-Copy.jpg

SAM_0085-Copy.jpg

SAM_0081-Copy.jpg

My kids made their way to under where the falls would have been.

SAM_0084-Copy.jpg

SAM_0095-Copy.jpg

We then headed down stream to find a crossing to hit the other side. Whole lot of nothin but lava rock and dying trees. looks like fall colors, but the trees are just so damn dry they are dying. There were some pretty cool holes in the creek bed though. As a kid they would be filled up and you would just chill in those and drink a coke.

IMG_2776-Copy.jpg

SAM_0086-Copy.jpg

SAM_0087-Copy.jpg

SAM_0093-Copy.jpg

SAM_0094-Copy.jpg

There were a few spots that the creek swelled a little as we hiked it.

IMG_2766-Copy.jpg

We then hit a spot to cross where the deeper pools were. Wind blew my kids hat off into the pool and I had to crawl down and fish it out with my walking stick. Also saw a soft shell turtle near the same pool.

SAM_0091-Copy.jpg

SAM_0092-Copy.jpg

SAM_0090-Copy.jpg

Shot of back side of the second pool.

SAM_0089-Copy.jpg

We then made our way up stream on the other side. As a kid I would hike this area a lot and I could see the over hangs of rock but could not remember how I go down there except for climbing a tree down. Kids were not down with this as since it was just me and them i decided to find a spot to access it easier. I did so I would scout ahead a little and they would follow. They listened well and had a good time doing it.

Entrance once they slid down on their buts on the rocks.

SAM_0096-Copy.jpg

We then followed the trails that ran under the rocks we were just above walking on.

IMG_2769-Copy.jpg

IMG_2770-Copy.jpg

IMG_2770-Copy.jpg

IMG_2768-Copy.jpg

IMG_2777-Copy.jpg

SAM_0100-Copy.jpg

SAM_0098-Copy.jpg

IMG_2773-Copy.jpg

SAM_0102-Copy.jpg

IMG_2771-Copy.jpg

We then climbed back up top and hiked over where we were under. The kids "scampered up a tree" like squirels and that became their favorite word the rest of the day "scampered". We walked further then dropped back down the creek side and went down to a set of winding bridges. These were new as I do not remember them as a kid. Flag stones were arranged to make stairs to ease into and off of the bridges.

IMG_2774-Copy.jpg

IMG_2780-Copy.jpg

IMG_2781-Copy.jpg

IMG_2778-Copy.jpg

SAM_0112.jpg

IMG_2777-Copy.jpg

I went over with my family to see my Grandmother and told her about the hike. The kids filled her in on their adventures and she loved it. She told them about how they would take trips down there before it was a park. She knew the original owners and that they had donated it.

Once it cools down I'll be taking them to Enchanted rock and a few other state parks near by (as long as they aren't burnt down by wild fires).
    DK Firearms

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    About once a month, the Austin Cycling Assoc. Scout-a-Route bike ride from Mellow Johnny's goes to McKinney Falls and back(~22 miles). I've done that ride a few times, but have never been past the 'guard' gate. We should add an exploring option to the bike ride. Your pictures make it look very interesting. Thanks!

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    McKinney falls is an awesome park. You guys have to go back after a good rainy month in the Spring. It's amazing how many whirlpools and waterfall areas are even more fun to look at.

Emily and I like to take a lunch out there a couple of times in the Winter.

bullsi1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Austin
    That is one of my favorite parks inside Austin. Almost no one knows it's there, and the creek/ falls are really cool... especially when there is water in them.

Time to get back down there for a walk.,

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    We used to find golf balls on the other side of the upper falls. Spent quite a few nights camping in their wilderness section when you had to hike in, don't think that is there anymore. It was great for skinny dipping in the creek with your girl late at night.

blocked

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Austin
    I've camped there several times with the scouts. It has some electric sites, some more primitive sites, fishing is allowed.

This park is actually the backside of the TPWD headquarters, so it is well maintained.

Top Bottom