• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txtrooper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Brian, I have the mini 14 GB. It is my retired service rifle and it is a great gun. Cleaning it is a little tricky, if you field strip it. Let me know if you have any questions.

ColdDeadHands

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I just bought a Mini 14 Ranch Rifle last sunday used from an individual. It's a 195 Series, anybody know when it was made?
    I like it so far, it's an easy handling Rifle that's easy to shoot at distances from 20 - 75 yards - that's what I bought it for. We have so many woods where I live, 75 - 100 yards is the furthest line of sight there is. I plan on getting the Barrel cut to 16.25" to make it even handier and a little more accurate. I'll also put one of those recoil buffers in so I can find my ejected brass.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I just bought a Mini 14 Ranch Rifle last sunday used from an individual. It's a 195 Series, anybody know when it was made?
    I like it so far, it's an easy handling Rifle that's easy to shoot at distances from 20 - 75 yards - that's what I bought it for. We have so many woods where I live, 75 - 100 yards is the furthest line of sight there is. I plan on getting the Barrel cut to 16.25" to make it even handier and a little more accurate. I'll also put one of those recoil buffers in so I can find my ejected brass.

Appears to be made between 1996-1999.

Here's a link:
    Ruger Rifle Serial Number History

As for accuracy, you might try one of these before you cut the barrel:
    Accu-strut for Mini-14

There are some folks over on rugerforum.com who swear by them.

thehemi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Texas
    I just placed my order for a stainless/synthetic Mini 14.
    I believe Ruger still has the 20-round mag sale going on.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    I just placed my order for a stainless/synthetic Mini 14.
    I believe Ruger still has the 20-round mag sale going on.

As of 1-31, it was still going on.

jimmy-buffett said:
    The factory ones are best, because the quality on the cheaper non-factory mags is hit or miss (you can usually make them work with some sanding or light reshaping).

That depends on which brand you buy. If you're going aftermarket, ProMag makes the best ones for your Mini. They look and function just like the factory Ruger mags with no tweaking at all. Cheaper Than Dirt has them for under $20 each. They even have my review posted!

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG426-36.html

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    I have three of the older Minis. Did you get the new one and did you get the plastic stock/muzzle brake GB version that tempted me recently?

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    Sorry, missed your post that yours is a 181 like two of mine.

May I suggest that you change the recoil spring. It might be about time for that and a Wolff replacement spring is about ten bucks from Midway. I just received one today that will go into my 1984 factory folder. New springs save wear and reduce the already mild recoil.

Top Bottom