• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I got finished with the putting the top on this afternoon.

8zPasptl.jpg

BwXPIBxl.jpg

HgHtTMgl.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    It appears that you repurpose materials as I do. A number of years ago I salvaged a good amount of oak tongue and groove flooring from a home that was going to be demolished. I still have plans to remove the tongue and groove, glue it up and make a really nice workshop table out of it. I know it is a lot of work involved making something like this, but being able to say "I did this", feels pretty damn good. I did use some to make workshop table tops laid as it is over some plywood substrate, it is "rough" but suffices as a work surface, but I want to do a work table that is smooth and true for finer work. Of course, I could just sand down what I have and apply a durable finish to it.

At the moment I have been tinkering with a pyramid type bow build, it is going to fail, one of the limbs has some of the grain "peeling", but this is okay, I am learning something in the process, I may be able to salvage the project with a very thin veneer laminated to the oak I am using. I have some mahogany salvage here that I may cut a few thin strips from and try, while not normally used on a bow's limbs, it may suffice as a "support mechanism" to stop the grain separation, it may not. I built the limbs oversized (wider) and somewhat shorter, making a VERY stiff pull, this is on purpose, so I would have "room" for refinement. I have not tried an arrow, just pull and release, the string really hums when released.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    It appears that you repurpose materials as I do. A number of years ago I salvaged a good amount of oak tongue and groove flooring from a home that was going to be demolished. I still have plans to remove the tongue and groove, glue it up and make a really nice workshop table out of it. I know it is a lot of work involved making something like this, but being able to say "I did this", feels pretty damn good. I did use some to make workshop table tops laid as it is over some plywood substrate, it is "rough" but suffices as a work surface, but I want to do a work table that is smooth and true for finer work. Of course, I could just sand down what I have and apply a durable finish to it.

At the moment I have been tinkering with a pyramid type bow build, it is going to fail, one of the limbs has some of the grain "peeling", but this is okay, I am learning something in the process, I may be able to salvage the project with a very thin veneer laminated to the oak I am using. I have some mahogany salvage here that I may cut a few thin strips from and try, while not normally used on a bow's limbs, it may suffice as a "support mechanism" to stop the grain separation, it may not. I built the limbs oversized (wider) and somewhat shorter, making a VERY stiff pull, this is on purpose, so I would have "room" for refinement. I have not tried an arrow, just pull and release, the string really hums when released.
    The top boards I would have loved to have had a planer to run them then through to thin and smooth out their surface. But I went with what I had.

My brother replaced his back porch deck area this year with new smaller one. That deck was probably over 1200 square feet. And there was a lot of still decent lumber there once the nails were pulled and the bad areas cut off.

There is still enough lumber to salvage so I can replace the floor on my small utility trailer. But I'm not in any hurry to pull any more nails right now!

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    ....I've looked at the Ridgid saws and they seem like they get good really good reviews. Been eyeballing the Dewalt as well, since I have a nice Dewalt compound miter saw too. I'm not brand loyal, but it might be nice to have "matching" tools lol.
    I've had good service from Ridgid and Dewalt tools. Replacement batteries and chargers have been only problems.

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    I've got so many tools left over from the transmission business I don't know what to with all of them so they just sit in the garage. Haven't done a trans in about a year.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I've got so many tools left over from the transmission business I don't know what to with all of them so they just sit in the garage. Haven't done a trans in about a year.
    Sell them and buy ammo. That will be the new currency when our dollars aren't worth the paper their printed on.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Problem I've ran into is most people won't pay what they are worth.
    The problem is that you are trying to sell tools that have a very limited market of people that would buy and use them. Those tools are specialty tools, and many are even job specific. Most people that rebuild transmissions, probably already the tools they need. Most new techs, usually are going to buy them off a tool truck on credit or time payments. Plus factor in that many people are moving towards reman transmissions instead of rebuilding.

And unfortunately, even though specialty tools are sometimes expensive, they aren't worth as much used as you would think they are.

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    The problem is that you are trying to sell tools that have a very limited market of people that would buy and use them. Those tools are specialty tools, and many are even job specific. Most people that rebuild transmissions, probably already the tools they need. Most new techs, usually are going to buy them off a tool truck on credit or time payments. Plus factor in that many people are moving towards reman transmissions instead of rebuilding.

And unfortunately, even though specialty tools are sometimes expensive, they aren't worth as much used as you would think they are.
    Most of the tools are not specialty tools, they are ratchets and sockets and wrenches and hammers and screwdrivers and air tools and pullers and etc etc etc.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Most of the tools are not specialty tools, they are ratchets and sockets and wrenches and hammers and screwdrivers and air tools and pullers and etc etc etc.
    Then you are competing with just about anyone that sells common hand tools.

Simply put, they are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. You can ask any price you think they are worth, but in the end, they are worth what someone will pay for them.

I still have lots of specialty tools from when I worked as a mechanic. I know non one is going to pay what I know they are worth, so I'll just keep them rather than giving them away for cheap. A lot of them I have gifted to my brother so he can use them at his shop, and I have gifted quite a few to my father.

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    Then you are competing with just about anyone that sells common hand tools.

Simply put, they are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. You can ask any price you think they are worth, but in the end, they are worth what someone will pay for them.

I still have lots of specialty tools from when I worked as a mechanic. I know non one is going to pay what I know they are worth, so I'll just keep them rather than giving them away for cheap. A lot of them I have gifted to my brother so he can use them at his shop, and I have gifted quite a few to my father.
    I do have some specialty tools but not as many as people think you would need, so I'll most likely just keep it all. Every once in a while I still work on something. God help me though when my daughter diagnoses her jeep!

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    BillM: ... Haven't done a trans in about a year. Now that is really something for the OOC thread!!! Damn that's funny!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I do have some specialty tools but not as many as people think you would need, so I'll most likely just keep it all. Every once in a while I still work on something. God help me though when my daughter diagnoses her jeep!
    My thoughts? Doubtful you will get anyone to pay what they are worth. I'd just hang on to them, or gift them to friend or family member rather than selling them cheap.

Like I said, I gifted lots of tools to my brother and father, and gave them both rolling toolboxes and top boxes. There were lots of my tools I had two and three sets of of. So I thinned my herd down to get more room in my garage.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    ,,,,,, There were lots of my tools I had two and three sets of. So I thinned my herd down to get more room in my garage.
    My wife thinks a garage is for parking her car. After space for a work bench, tool boxes, reloading bench, scuba tanks, amateur radio equipment and lawn equipment there isn't room for her car.

Top Bottom