Texas SOT

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    In used to get 500 to 1K rounds of 9mm routinely for practice ammo from my agency, U.S. Customs Office of Investigations. That was about every quarter. I'd also get 12 gauge and 5.56/223 in good amount. I got that much because I was an instructor and had to maintain a 90% proficiency or higher. I got 1K of 9mm more often once I was issued an MP-5 for operational use and then when I also became an MP-5 instructor). That certainly was very nice while it lasted, I never needed to buy practice ammo. I sure do miss the free 9mm, 40 S&W (when ICE went to 40 caliber SIGs - what a mistake), the free 5.56/223 and free 12 gauge practice ammo and free 45 on occassion (which was the exact same ammo as our duty ammo in each caliber or gauge - once upon a time in Customs OI they allowed various guns and calibers as personally owned duty carry weapons).

When I was given ammo for practice, I almost always shot all of it before the next quarter. That though I discovered was not quite always the case and I must admit - I still have one or two 50 rd. boxes of Winchetser 9mm NATO ammo that was issued to me back in the mid to late 1990s and probably a couple or few boxes of issued 12 gauge 00 buckshot and slugs. I found that ammo when I was moving from NY to here. Until I rediscovered it in the bottom of a foot locker, I had forgotten all about it. They are pretty much mementos now. I also have a plastic jar full of ammo recovered from our range in the WTC after 9/11; it reminds me of that day and of better times before it.

As for ever getting 5k rounds for practice - the Ammo Faerie was never quite that generous to me. I cannot imagine the balls and lack of brains this guy had to make off with 5,000 rounds. He is lucky he was not fired and charged criminally and only demoted. While being demoted and probably (but not necessarily) losing pay sucks, it has to be better than free sex everyday for a couple of years in prison.

I do, however, know of a supervisor from the Border Patrol who was supposed to be holding rifle qualifications with my station's supply of 308. Since the range we used did not allow rifle ammo to be shot on it, he arranged for practice shoots and qualifications out in the desert in the middle of nowhere in the Imperial Valley of California. When he retired, I and a few other agents helped him load his flatbed trailer for his move back to the NW (WA or OR or ID, cannot recall which). I am guessing the small trailer he was pulling behind his SUV was at least 8 and maybe up to 12 feet long (as best I can guesstimate after about 38 years or so). We loaded it with many cases of 308 ammo, and I do mean many. The whole floor of his trailer was covered by them and I think some were stacked atop one another as well. Who knows how many he already made off with or had inside the SUV. I finally kind of, sort of, just about figured out why I only got to qualify only once or three time, if that many, in my 4 years in the BP with the 308 Remington pump guns we had at the station :facepalm:.

Of course, mind you, no one ever proved he had not legitimately acquired every last round that ammo. He was probably the best supervisor I had while in the BP and was also my hero but for reasons other than the ammo when he showed me the photos that supported what had been thought of as his tall tales of him being a military advisor to the king in a SE Asian nation (where we were supposed to have zero troops, either Tahiland, Cambodia or laos but I cannot recall which) during the Vietnam war. Those pics showed him on elephant mounted machans, in tree mounted machans, several photos showing him standing with the prince amid a dozen or so dead tigers taken in the hunt (and he went on more than one) and reclining amid numerous scantily clad and even some naked harem girls. Yes, that just in case you were wondering, is why he was my hero:rolleyes:. A true man among men.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom