• Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    ok so heres the score.
    i am getting my girl into shooting.

she lives in San Antonio.

This weekend we are going to go look and guns and see what kindof weapon fits ehr hand and blah blah blah ( i told her its like shoe shopping)
    so ive got a week to hammer out an agenda to get around and check out the best shops withthe best selection. not nessecarily the best prices, becasue we will probably wait and check out the next saxet show.
    however places with better prices should probably get higher on the list.
    im in new braunfels and dont find myself in san antonio to often, so help me out guys! (and gals)

thanks!

/...... GO!
    Capitol Armory ad

xJackalx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    San Antonio
    I would go to Dury's Gun shop in San Antonio. They are very knowledgable in regards to what options a gun needs to have for the applications you are looking for. Once you get an idea on what you want, then I would look on [url]www.gunbroker.com[/URL] for the gun and research pricing. I have bought many firearms from this site and never had any issues. Just take in mind that you have to get a FFL transfers ($35) and shipping including in the price. Gun shows are another option as you mentioned, just buy from a repetable seller. My 2 cents...

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    yeah i have used gunbroker as well
    gunsamerica is also pretty fair.
    liek is aid, im jsut looking for the biggest selection :)
    thanks for the tip
    anybody else?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    1. Dury's
    2. The Powderhorn
    3. Hoguns
    4. Nagles

In all honesty, if you can't find what you want at the above shops, you don't need it!<G>

More importantly....stay AWAY from:

1. Texas Guns (on Bandera Rd. in Leon Valley)

Texas Bulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    1. Dury's
    2. The Powderhorn
    3. Hoguns
    4. Nagles

In all honesty, if you can't find what you want at the above shops, you don't need it!<G>

More importantly....stay AWAY from:

1. Texas Guns (on Bandera Rd. in Leon Valley)

Sorda agree... you need to go to Powderhorn HoGuns and Nagles to find everything... nothing all in 1 spot.

And Texas Guns... holy crap can you say expensive!..

I went to buy a Ruger LCP base model and they want 480 for it and XDm 9mm base model for $789

Crazy expensive... and their range is worse

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    thanks for the tips guys.
    somone once told me that dury's was excessively proud of their stuff. any truth to that?
    and i will defintaly stay away from texas guns.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    IMO, Dury's, The Powderhorn an' Hoguns are 3 of the best in the city. Nagles is good, but you gotta work for "deals" harder. Thing is, they'll have things you just won't find anywhere else, so if nothing else it's a cool place to visit!

I've sat in Texas Guns and listened to 'em BS customers so bad I was worried 'bout gettin' hit by the lightning bolt! High prices AND they'll lie to a customer in a heartbeat, IMO.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    yeah ill avoid them like the plague!
    last thing i need is for kim to start getting all kinds of misinformation form 'experts'

Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    I've bought from Durys before. Seem like good folk, but they too have an overhead to meet. Don't overlook Academy either, sometimes you'll be surprised at the prices.

If your looking for a 9mm, LNIB, PM me about my M&P9.

D-Day

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    1. Dury's
    2. Nagels
    3. Powderhorn
    4. Bob's Guns on fredricksburg

I don't even list HoGuns because everytime I have been there they act like they are going out of there ways to help you. I have been in there with money in hand and a pistol in my sights only to walk out do to service. The Powderhorn is always very helpful, and I really like Nagel's do to the selection. Nagels has about 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bag, but is a nice store. Bob's Guns is a little gunshop, but they are very nice people and can help you get anything. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Like I said before - Hoguns is kinda unique, but once they know you, they're out of this world in terms of service. He just seems to attract a lotta oddballs, and as a result he can come across kinda abrupt-like....

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I would go to Dury's Gun shop in San Antonio. They are very knowledgable in regards to what options a gun needs to have for the applications you are looking for. Once you get an idea on what you want, then I would look on http://www.gunbroker.com[url]www.gunbroker.com[/URL] for the gun and research pricing. I have bought many firearms from this site and never had any issues. Just take in mind that you have to get a FFL transfers ($35) and shipping including in the price. Gun shows are another option as you mentioned, just buy from a repetable seller. My 2 cents...

Part of what you are paying for in that extra cost is being able to put the guns in your hand and talk to someone that can fit a gun to your needs.

If everyone did this, window shop a store, then buy on gunbroker, then there would be no gun stores to go look at, or employees to answer questions.

I work at a gun store, and I'll try to help people as much as I can. I don't expect them to buy from us all the time, but doing this is kinda lame.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Agree w/ya, 1911! I try hard to buy locally, whether it's guns or whatever. The few extra bucks I MIGHT pay is well worth it to have someone knowledgeable available to me. Besides which, I know EXACTLY what I'm buying - not what some picture may (or may not) show!

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    IMO, Dury's, The Powderhorn an' Hoguns are 3 of the best in the city. Nagles is good, but you gotta work for "deals" harder. Thing is, they'll have things you just won't find anywhere else, so if nothing else it's a cool place to visit!

I've sat in Texas Guns and listened to 'em BS customers so bad I was worried 'bout gettin' hit by the lightning bolt! High prices AND they'll lie to a customer in a heartbeat, IMO.

Plus they always had primers through this whole thing. . . even if you had to buy them by the box (yep, whole hundred primers/day, but they had them in stock most of the time. )

armadillo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    TX
    What is the story on Hogun's? I had not heard of it until I read about it here. I went by the location today to check it out. It was all locked up at 10:30AM and there is no sign listing business hours - just blacked out windows.

beefsalad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    I picked up a Benelli SuperNova at Sports Authority for cheaper than I could find it elsewhere in town. Granted I didn't check Nagels () Academy only carried the Nova. PowderHorn wanted about $120 more than SA. Durys was about the same. I'll give it to Durys for customer service though.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    He opens later - about noon, IIRC. I seldom get into that side of town until later in the afternoon, so forgot to mention that - my bad!! I think the lack of posting of hours and such is a security measure....but give him a hard time about it AFTER you get to know him. Wayne actually has a pretty wicked sense of humor - it can be dry, and he usually has to get to know you....but once he does, it's Game On!!!

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I would go to Dury's Gun shop in San Antonio. They are very knowledgable in regards to what options a gun needs to have for the applications you are looking for. Once you get an idea on what you want, then I would look on http://www.gunbroker.com[url]www.gunbroker.com[/URL] for the gun and research pricing. I have bought many firearms from this site and never had any issues. Just take in mind that you have to get a FFL transfers ($35) and shipping including in the price. Gun shows are another option as you mentioned, just buy from a repetable seller. My 2 cents...

Wetmore Shooting Sports over by the airport only charges $20 for FFL...

Top Bottom