• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I don't even list HoGuns because everytime I have been there they act like they are going out of there ways to help you.

+1. I went in with a Henry .22 rifle to have them install a front globe sight, and they treated me like a red-headed step child because (I suspect) of the small caliber of the weapon. What's worse is that it took them more than a week to do the work.

The Powderhorn is always very helpful

+1 again. I went in there with the same Henry rifle to have them add a tang sight, and not only were they eager to do it, they did it while I waited (!!!). Their ammo prices are quite high though.

and I really like Nagel's do to the selection. Nagels has about 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bag, but is a nice store.

Nagel's does have a good selection of stuff, but the store is pretty close to being a fire hazard because of all the crap they have stuffed in there. The aisles are so narrow that you have to turn sideways and suck your stomach in to pass someone.

Bob's Guns is a little gunshop, but they are very nice people and can help you get anything. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Is that the shop that actually faces 410 at Fredericksburg and is nextdoor to a pawn shop?
    Guns International

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    ...window shop a store, then buy on gunbroker...

I work at a gun store, and I'll try to help people as much as I can. I don't expect them to buy from us all the time, but doing this is kinda lame.

Well, the economy being what it is, it's tough - as a consumer - to feel bad about doing it. I purchased two pistols in August.

I got a NIB XD40 for $430 ($410 was the "buy it now" price, FFL was $20 and shipping was free) off GunBroker. How much does your shop sell them for (including tax)?

I understand that brick/mortar stores have overhead and all, and the econmy must be hitting you guys pretty hard, but the simple fact of the matter is that the price difference is *significant* between local stores and GunBroker.

For example, Nagels wanted $559 ($605 with tax) for the same pistol, and Powderhorn wanted $529 for a used one ($573 with tax). The difference in price allowed me to buy a 300 rounds of ammo and a Don Hume holster.

Another example - I got a NIB Springfield 1911 G.I for $489 on GunBroker (with shipping and FFL, it cost me $524). The same pistol in local stores STARTS at $530 (not including tax, and IF you can find one). On a semi-related note, Academy charges $650 for a Taurus PT1911. That's outrageous money for a Taurus.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I like to save money as much as the next guy, but when buying a new gun I'll do so locally...just me. I appreciate having the local guys here - and besides, folks do business with ME when they could buy on the 'net - because they know I'll be there if there's a problem.....what if folks bought on the net instead of from where YOU work? Brick and mortar will ALWAYS have a higher cost - but if they're also giving you SERVICE, that has a value that HAS to be taken into consideration IMO!!!

D-Day

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    Is that the shop that actually faces 410 at Fredericksburg and is nextdoor to a pawn shop?

Yes it is that little shop that has a sign that reads "Guns". It is not much to look at but it is family run and they are nice people. They are high on some things and good on others. The in store stock can be low at times, but they will help you find whatever you want. It has a very Mom and Pop fell.

Buck Nekkid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    San Antonio
    What's the name of the gun store that's in the little strip center on Bandera Rd. just inside 410? I haven't been by since my return to SA, but I had developed a really good relationship with the owner (?) Hoot Gibson.

He ordered my first Ruger Vaqueros for me, taught my first concealed carry class, and got me a membership in the old gun club that was out at the Aguila location in Helotes.

D-Day

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    Does Bob's Guns have a website? I can't seem to find it.

Probably not. It is just a little Mom and Pop store. I would be surprised if they have a computer. It is a little old couple that own it. I don't even know if it is officially "Bob's Guns" but that is the guys name.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Yeah - an' they ARE nice folks. Went in there a coupla months ago lookin' for a part for an OLD shotgun a buddy owns. Parts no longer available....but be darned iffen he didn't wander out back an' find one for him!

armadillo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    TX
    The name of the shop is Don's - not Bob's. I like to go there too - they try to keep reloading supplies in stock (no primers lately) and are a pleasure to deal with.

Lobo_79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    ...however places with better prices should probably get higher on the list.
    im in new braunfels and dont find myself in san antonio to often, so help me out guys! (and gals)...

Before you go to one of the local gun shops I'd recommend you go by Bass Pro Shop. They have a good selection and their sales staff seems to have a clue as to what their doing.

I've bought from Dury's before. Nice people but I can't handle their gouge factor on guns. They are no bargain. That doesn't make them unique; most of the gun stores are like that. Dury's will tell you they charge a higher price because they offer you a warranty. Most new guns - (read quality) - come with a lifetime warranty anyway.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    That's Right, Don's. Bob, Don its damn near the same.lol

I was a little disappointed in Don's.

It is a small place. Some reloading stuff, a few dozen rifles and shotguns. Maybe a dozen or so handguns.

They have antique fishing reels if you want them.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Before you go to one of the local gun shops I'd recommend you go by Bass Pro Shop. They have a good selection and their sales staff seems to have a clue as to what their doing.

Your experience is far different from mine. While they have a "good selection" new guns at "okay" prices (if I'm going to price shop, then I'm gonna price shop - and I can buy off the net FAR more economically). However, the "customer experience" is a big part of my evaluation - and while they know a lot about current guns, their knowledge of out-of-production models often leaves a lot to be desired. The local shops, in my experience, generally have a wider selection of used guns at better prices than places like Bass Pro.

I've bought from Dury's before. Nice people but I can't handle their gouge factor on guns. They are no bargain. That doesn't make them unique; most of the gun stores are like that. Dury's will tell you they charge a higher price because they offer you a warranty. Most new guns - (read quality) - come with a lifetime warranty anyway.

Again - bear in mind here that I don't generally buy new guns - my judgement is based on used guns inventories, and my experience dealing w/local shops. Bass Pro and the other box stores generally have higher prices on used units, and the price marked is the price. My local shops know me, and know that I'll be back to buy again and again - so they generally cut me slack on a gun I'm interested in - and in the case of Dury's, Hoguns and The Powderhorn - they GUARANTEE that used gun as part of their price. THAT is hard to beat IMO.

Just a different set of opinions from a different perspective....

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I was a little disappointed in Don's.

It is a small place. Some reloading stuff, a few dozen rifles and shotguns. Maybe a dozen or so handguns.

Yep - REAL small place. But some real characters are regulars there - it can be a real hoot to get to know 'em! Had a buddy w/an old 12 gauge he needed a part for - no longer made, and we were striking out trying to find the part. Went by there on a whim....he rummaged around the back and came out with the part, installed it and we were on our way for less than 40 bucks!

johnsonfire

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    new braunfels
    I think its great to try and support your local gunshops.I seems sad they have been around years while the big box stores come in and take away their livelyhood.Kinda like the small book store compared to the large ones that come in.Sometimes bigger isnt always better.My wife still tells me size matters.

cnl390

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    When Dury's was in the little store on Southcross & Mr. Dury was still alive you could not beat them for customer service, A1. Now that they are in the big new store it is hard to get service. However there are a couple of good guys there. There prices aren't that bad and remember they give a lifetime guarantee on every gun they sell, new or used. And as with Nagel's some of their pre-owned guns are on consignment so they might deal on those.

I like Impactguns.com, generally good prices, no tax & free shipping sometimes. That coupled with $20 transfer fee at Wetmore Shooting Sports you can't go wrong.

If in Austin Red's is a great place.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Not really a shop, but if you want an AR then I recommend talking to Alex at Dreadnaught Industries on 16 south of 1604. He has built guns for several friends of mine and can get you a custom rifle at a great price (sometimes the same as an off-the-shelf one at Academy). Alex is military, very knowledgeable and has a lot of military customers, and he's also an active competitive shooter (and a pretty good one to boot!). Plus, he's just a really great guy!

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom