• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    No I won't tell you my favorite ones it took me years to find them. Just go around a find the ones you like.

Sorry, Tomcat - but ah'm invoking the TGT Rule #326.32.91.442, subsection (d), paragraph (a) rule!! That rule states that as a member with less than 100 posts, you MUST tell anyone with greater than 1,000 posts who asks the names of any shop you have found good deals at on demand.

I therefore, as per the above rule, ask for the names of those shops........
    Hurley's Gold

tumbleweed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    san antonio
    I found the complete opposite of your review on Nagels. to me it seems like a filthy old house that the owner has a hoarding problem and should be on that reality show.

This I can completely understand - it's one of those places that will have the people who like it and who don't, it's completely a personal preference. I *like* that hoarding problem, I've always been one to enjoy digging through things to find a gem; I once found 2 boxes of Peter's Rustless .38s (box, rounds and all) and got them for $5 - those are collector items right there, buried in a mound of junk. :)

A Place To Shoot - just dropped by there today to brush up with my 642 and some FBI loads (30 rounds and I'm done, ow). The place is fine to shoot ($10 for a handgun) but anemic when it comes to guns. They have the space for a lot more inventory, not sure what's up and why it's so bare. Fellas were nice but the place is so off the beaten path that you wouldn't bother going there to gun shop.

I too now await Tomcat's pawn shop listings. :-)

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Concur, I too found A Place To Shoot wasn't A Place To Shop!

I would take Dury's over Nagel's but The Powderhorn over both. I have bought from Texas Guns and while I admittedly paid more than I should, I did get a nice Mosin M44 that I wasn't finding anywhere else. And the guy who sold it to me (who actually owned the gun) was friendly and helpful. But their prices are way too high, and now that they've greatly reduced their inventory to stock their new place in Kerrville, it's just not worth the effort to check there anymore.

Honestly, since Sportsman's Warehouse closed I haven't been spending too much at shops. I bought my XD and Springfield GI 1911 from them. These days my "local" purchases have been at the gun shows and online. I try to buy from folks in San Antonio or at least Texas, but since my wish list is getting harder to find I am having to go out of state and *gasp* even to such anti-gun locations as New York state!

I wish we had stores like Big 5 here. I think the closest one is in San Angelo, which is a bit too far to just "check out."

sbrenner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    Texas, USA
    bud's guns on the net great servic & prices.

FFL transfers. Bill Hawes 210 684 9376 $20.00 tell him steve sent you.

Best way to get the best deal.

Glocks are a great way to go. My daughters and wife shoot, carry and like Glocks.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    bud's guns on the net great servic & prices.
    FFL transfers. Bill Hawes 210 684 9376 $20.00 tell him steve sent you.
    Best way to get the best deal.
    Glocks are a great way to go. My daughters and wife shoot, carry and like Glocks.

ummmm....the subject was SAN ANTONIO gun shops - not gunstore walmarts!<G> And while Bud's has some interesting pricing, like anywhere else, on any given day SOMEPLACE will have it cheaper - so I go for more than just cheaper.

Glad you like the Glock. Myself, I abhor them and consider 'em an abomination. But - that's just me. :D

wshbrngr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    ummmm....the subject was SAN ANTONIO gun shops - not gunstore walmarts!<G> And while Bud's has some interesting pricing, like anywhere else, on any given day SOMEPLACE will have it cheaper - so I go for more than just cheaper.

Glad you like the Glock. Myself, I abhor them and consider 'em an abomination. But - that's just me. :D

Finally, I am NOT alone.
    I thought I was the only person that did not own a glock.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I have to post that my opinion of the Powderhorn is changing, and for the better!

When I first went by there myself and a friend had a bad experience with an employee who I don't think works there anymore. We each wanted to buy a shotgun, and when we inquired as if there might be any discount for buying two, we received a rather rude response.

Well, they say that it takes a lot of positive experiences to negate one negative one, and I think that epiphany has finally occurred. I have been stopping by there about once every week or so on my way home for the past couple of months, and I am happy to report that all of my subsequent visits have been considerable more enjoyable then the first! The folks that work there have been extremely friendly and patient with my requests to see several of the Mosins that they have behind the counter. I've also noticed their prices are pretty good as well. I still don't think they negotiate on them, but it seems that they've come down to more reasonable levels (at least on their Mosins). Some firearms, such as the used hunting rifles, still seem to be a tad high but since I don't have a lot of knowledge about those guns I can't say for sure; I am just going off of the prices I see at Walmart and Academy for comparison and even then it may not be the same exact model.

Just a lesson for anyone working at a gun shop, my one negative experience kept me out of that store for a long time. The one employee's rude response kept me and my money out of that shop for quite a while, money I gladly spent elsewhere where I felt more appreciated. I am happy that my "relationship" with the Powderhorn has changed for the better, but in today's economy it doesn't take much to drive a customer away for good, especially when there are other alternatives...

Cheers! M2

Texas Bulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    I have to post that my opinion of the Powderhorn is changing, and for the better!

When I first went by there myself and a friend had a bad experience with an employee who I don't think works there anymore. We each wanted to buy a shotgun, and when we inquired as if there might be any discount for buying two, we received a rather rude response.

Well, they say that it takes a lot of positive experiences to negate one negative one, and I think that epiphany has finally occurred. I have been stopping by there about once every week or so on my way home for the past couple of months, and I am happy to report that all of my subsequent visits have been considerable more enjoyable then the first! The folks that work there have been extremely friendly and patient with my requests to see several of the Mosins that they have behind the counter. I've also noticed their prices are pretty good as well. I still don't think they negotiate on them, but it seems that they've come down to more reasonable levels (at least on their Mosins). Some firearms, such as the used hunting rifles, still seem to be a tad high but since I don't have a lot of knowledge about those guns I can't say for sure; I am just going off of the prices I see at Walmart and Academy for comparison and even then it may not be the same exact model.

Just a lesson for anyone working at a gun shop, my one negative experience kept me out of that store for a long time. The one employee's rude response kept me and my money out of that shop for quite a while, money I gladly spent elsewhere where I felt more appreciated. I am happy that my "relationship" with the Powderhorn has changed for the better, but in today's economy it doesn't take much to drive a customer away for good, especially when there are other alternatives...

Cheers! M2

Sounds good!.

I like the PowderHorn. They have been very good to me and since September 09' when i got to TX, i have purchased 7 firearms from them and 2 of them were trade's which they gave me very good trad in prices for them too!

They did cut me a break on a S&W AR i bought from them. well, kinda... they threw in 2 mag's to cement the deal. and i was happy with that.

On another rifle i bought they offered to mount the scope and bore sight it in. They did a fantastic job and it was ALMOST dead perfect when i took it to the ranger later that day.

Out of all the shops in San Antonio, im probably happiest with Powder Horn.

the one shop that has been irritating me little by little is Nagles. Some of their employees are flat out RUDE and the "Advice" they give is flat out stupid and wrong. I heard one of their guys upselling a S&W .38 airweight because a .38 would take the head clean off of a bad guy.

JOe

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    I almost bought a Mosin 91/30 from Powderhorn, for $119 it didn't seem too bad. About the cost of an FFL'd one.

They did, however, have AK magazines for $29.99!!!! Needless to say, they were extremely helpful, so I might go back there one day to pick up a Mosin.

wickedgrin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    san antonio,tx
    Just FYI I was at the academy at 1604 and potranco and they told me about a new gun shop down the street on potranco. Went to go check it out and it is new about 7-8 months old according to the guy I talked to (Mike I think his name was) I ended up buying a mossberg 500 A and putting a Glock On lay away with them...very nice guys and i Hope they do well....

Last edited by a moderator:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Just FYI I was at the academy at 1604 and potranco and they told me about a new gun shop down the street on potranco. Went to go check it out and it is new about 7-8 months old according to the guy I talked to (Mike I think his name was) I ended up buying a mossberg 500 A and putting a Glock On lay away with them...very nice guys and i Hope they do well....
    Lock N Load Guns is the name....website lockloadguns.com

Already been discussed.

Buster Charlie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Karnes county Texas
    TheTomcat:
    Hoguns- Never made a purchase there. The only time I stopped in (about a year ago) I asked advice about a pistol I had recently purchased and even though I was the only customer in the store the guy behind the counter (got the inpression he was the owner) didn't have the time of day for me. Gun prices were outrageous even on used guns. Won't be going back there.
    I keep hearing horror stories about the store, I stopped there once but I thought maybe the place was closed because it had blacked out windows, no open sign, no business hours, no nothing. I didn't even bother getting out of the car. Then again some people love it..

Texas Guns- AVOID AT ALL COSTS. These are the rudest people I have come across. Prices are rediculous and inventory is small.
    I'm feeling a lot of hate for them, but I went there (was in the neighbourhood and stopped on a whim) and it didn't seem that bad, a bit high on the prices I agree but nobody was rude. However I did get a rather good deal on a used Remington Model 8 in very good condition (for a gun made in 1932). So while their new stuff is over priced, they have a pretty good selection, and some of the used guns are pretty good deals IMHO.

Pawnshops- Best places to buy used guns in San Antonio. Very few carry ammo or accessories, but the used gun prices are great and they will haggle. I have 4 that I stop in on a regular basis and even call me if they get something in that they know I am looking for. USUALLY friendly staff, and if they arent I ask for the manager and it's handled. They also have no interest layaway for those large purchases or if you are trying to hide it from the wife.:) No I won't tell you my favorite ones it took me years to find them. Just go around a find the ones you like.

These are all the gun shops I have been to.

If you won't name names, will you at least say if they are independent pawn shops or those big chain ones I see all over the place?

I'm always on the lookout for deals of surplus and used items.

Wild Turkey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Been dropin in on this site for a few days now and just signed up. I am in the market for a M1a, hit up Nagels after work and they have a NM and a scout sittin there all purdy. Kinda pricy though. I bought my HK45 from them and love every round down range. I can see where retailers scoff at "web deals" but sometimes you gotta pinch. Even then you can use them as a transfer FFL and buy all the fixins from them.

On another note, thinking of hitin the Gun show in Austin this weekend, get my feelers out there, might even grab one if it's the right fit.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Not really a shop, but if you want an AR then I recommend talking to Alex at Dreadnaught Industries on 16 south of 1604. He has built guns for several friends of mine and can get you a custom rifle at a great price (sometimes the same as an off-the-shelf one at Academy). Alex is military, very knowledgeable and has a lot of military customers, and he's also an active competitive shooter (and a pretty good one to boot!). Plus, he's just a really great guy!

Cheers! M2
    +1

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I *think* there's a show at the Alzafar Shrine in SA this weekend, isn't there?

ETA - nope - just checked - it's NEXT weekend...

Yep, for some reason I was thinking it was this coming weekend as well...I'm glad I checked!

Speaking of which, I did cave in and go to the TGS show at Live Oak last weekend. What a waste of time and money...they only had half the hall due to a computer show but they still charged full price ($7) for entry (I had a coupon for a buck off, so I only paid $6; but it was still a rip-off!). I was literally in and out in 20 minutes, which included five minutes talking to my buddy Jay.

The al Jazeera (opps, Alzafar ) show is usually pretty good; but basically it is the same vendors as the monthly SAXET show at the SA Event Center. Still, I'll be there as usual...

Cheers! M2

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Speaking of which, I did cave in and go to the TGS show at Live Oak last weekend. What a waste of time and money...they only had half the hall due to a computer show but they still charged full price ($7) for entry (I had a coupon for a buck off, so I only paid $6; but it was still a rip-off!). I was literally in and out in 20 minutes, which included five minutes talking to my buddy Jay.

Yeah - drove by it Saturday on the way back from another stop - looked at it, remembered the last time I went in......an' kept goin'. It is SUCH a freakin' rip!

The al Jazeera (opps, Alzafar ) show is usually pretty good; but basically it is the same vendors as the monthly SAXET show at the SA Event Center.

Good - because it's YOUR turn to buy lunch! Which day ya goin'? Gotta find a few rounds of ammo for the latest addition....

Last edited by a moderator:
    Top Bottom