• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwildcat

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Frisco, TX
    How does the range with towing compare to the Cybertruck theoreticals (although maybe not a real comparison given we are over a year out in seeing those)?

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Definitely gonna watch that later. I saw Doug DeMuro’s video the other week.

I’ve always liked the Rivian, especially their SUV. The President of my company has one order, he’s on his sixth Tesla now. Anyway, I look forward to seeing them in person, I don’t need to tow, just haul four kids.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    How does the range with towing compare to the Cybertruck theoreticals (although maybe not a real comparison given we are over a year out in seeing those)?

I doubt it’ll be much different. The math is the same and the differences between electric motors is negligible.

The amount of work required won’t change, it’s still moving mass against gravity over a known distance. So it comes down to how much energy is in the battery pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    I doubt it’ll be much different. The math is the same and the differences between electric motors is negligible.

The amount of work required won’t change, it’s still moving mass against gravity over a known distance. So it comes down to how much energy is in the battery pack.

I "suppose" that the one promised to deliver an extra 20 miles or so of range per-day with the solar panels might be good IF those solar panels can also provide a tad bit of current while the vehicle is moving.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Battery technology ain’t quite ready to replace gas/diesel if you wanna tow with a consumer pickup.

It might be acceptable for some in local, flat towing…the power is there but the range is atrocious.

Diesel is still king. The range and efficiency was terrible with that ev.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I "suppose" that the one promised to deliver an extra 20 miles or so of range per-day with the solar panels might be good IF those solar panels can also provide a tad bit of current while the vehicle is moving.

Assuming we can keep it perfectly aligned to the sun all day, a 5’ x 2’ solar panel might provide 1.5 kWh from sunup to sundown.

Considering the Rivian has a 144 kwh battery pack, it’s gonna take quite a lot of solar panels to give it 20 miles of range.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Diesel is still king. The range and efficiency was terrible with that ev.

Yeah I don’t think the test is surprising.

But it might be a wake-up call for people thinking there’s some magical technology that will put them on par with ICE.

It comes down to battery capacity, and really nothing more.

If a gallon of diesel has 40 kWh of energy…just how much work can we reasonably expect an EV to tow with the energy equivalent of 4 gallons of diesel?

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yeah I don’t think the test is surprising.

But it might be a wake-up call for people thinking there’s some magical technology that will put them on par with ICE.

It comes down to battery capacity, and really nothing more.

If a gallon of diesel has 40 kWh of energy…just how much work can we reasonably expect an EV to tow with the energy equivalent of 4 gallons of diesel?

I’m not an expert but it’s also about efficiency of that energy and why a Diesel engine can more efficiently release that energy.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Honestly, I think hybrids are superior.

I think every tech has its place

It comes down to what compromises we’re willing to make.

Even this Rivian truck is gonna be superior in some ways, and inferior in others.
    When it comes to power, electrics really can’t be beat.

The Rivian - pulling a trailer uphill - walked from a Ram 1500 that was empty in the vid I posted.
    And heads-up, will walk from a TRX.

That’s pretty impressive.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Honestly, I think hybrids are superior.
    I was thinking about this issue and my spouse's aerodynamic hybrid. FWD with two electric motors in the back so the motors are constantly supplying power to keep the gas engine from turning higher RPMs. When cruising you'll of course hit periods of 100% electric only even at 70mph+ speeds. We recently made a drive when the north wind was constantly over 30mph and it never went total electric at highway speeds. Not one-to-one but the wind was acting similar to added weight thus the resistance was constantly eating the batteries as the motors were slightly helping the gas engine but requiring more juice to do so. EVs might be fast but even throwing 2000lbs in them/behind them will drastically consume the battery. Until they have a battery that will run 1000+ miles on a charge w/o a load then towing will be an obstacle.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    It makes sense. Capture what energy you can with regen braking, wasted energy, boost the ICE engine for spurts so you never work as hard, etc. Even a small ICE generator would help, and give the option to extend range with fuel if you wanted to go a longer stretch without an electric station.
    The 2nd Gen Prius hybrids are pushing impressive numbers... and still going strong.
    Diesel electric trains...

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    It makes sense. Capture what energy you can with regen braking, wasted energy, boost the ICE engine for spurts so you never work as hard, etc. Even a small ICE generator would help, and give the option to extend range with fuel if you wanted to go a longer stretch without an electric station.
    The 2nd Gen Prius hybrids are pushing impressive numbers... and still going strong.

The Ford and Tundra hybrids (paired with a TTV6) are pushing 600 lb-ft of torque.

That’s pretty impressive for a gasser 1500

Sustaining that output over distance, like a constant uphill, is the issue as noted above.
    But for normal driving/towing, especially from a stop, it should be great.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    It does make sense.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    If they towed at a reasonable speed and accelerated accordingly, maybe the range could be more tolerable.
    I don't understand the obsession with going uphill like a maniac.

Top Bottom