• ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    The brands need to stop with the black wheels and flat surface wheels. Get too close to the curb, and it wrecks the wheel. Thin lip, silver paint or machined surface of 10 years ago wasn‘t so bad because curb rash didn’t stand out too much. Scratch up flat wheel like this or a dark one and it really makes the car look like shit. Apologies for the tangent... Back to our regularly schedule programming :cool:

Attachments

• B98E3ED9-548F-400A-A540-534143353AA6.png
      B98E3ED9-548F-400A-A540-534143353AA6.png
      853.8 KB · Views: 61

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Sorry for dragging this back on topic, but if Ford does even halfway decent on getting their F150 Lightning to market, Rivian and the Tesla Truck are dead.

I got to see it at the launch event here last weekend and almost drove it, but had a margarita at lunch and didn’t want to risk it.

Let’s just say Ford ain’t gonna let the F150 reputation be risked over the e-truck, and it shows in a lot of ways. And you’ll get a pretty capable e-thing for $40K in today’s dollars.
    All reasons why I expect them to screw it up or it have issues just like most fords. Don’t get me wrong, not trying to be funny or make it a ford vs thing. Gm electric rig? Won’t touch that. Hell no. Not with gm’s history of electronics.

My 2016 diesel Colorado will be the last newer truck I own.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    All reasons why I expect them to screw it up or it have issues just like most fords. Don’t get me wrong, not trying to be funny or make it a ford vs thing. Gm electric rig? Won’t touch that. Hell no. Not with gm’s history of electronics.

Bingo. Look no further than the new explorer rollout a few years ago, or to a lesser extent, the new Bronco with the defective hard tops

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

Problem I see is trying to meet an unrealistic timeline to bring these EV's to market, when clearly the technology is not there yet. And not just Ford or GM.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Problem I see is trying to meet an unrealistic timeline to bring these EV's to market, when clearly the technology is not there yet. And not just Ford or GM.
    Yes and more detailed: shame on anyone for believing any politician for why we should do something. I’m actually all about alternative energy but not at the cost of doing more harm on the environment. Also, maintenance needs to be cost effective for low to middle income folks.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Sorry for dragging this back on topic, but if Ford does even halfway decent on getting their F150 Lightning to market, Rivian and the Tesla Truck are dead.

I got to see it at the launch event here last weekend and almost drove it, but had a margarita at lunch and didn’t want to risk it.

Let’s just say Ford ain’t gonna let the F150 reputation be risked over the e-truck, and it shows in a lot of ways. And you’ll get a pretty capable e-thing for $40K in today’s dollars.
    If you want more than the estimated 230 base mileage range the price jumps to 74k for an estimated 320 mile range.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    If you want more than the estimated 230 base mileage range the price jumps to 74k for an estimated 320 mile range.

And that’s the crux. We’re not programmed to think beyond range. When somebody cracks the nut and says “6hrs drive time uninterrupted” and it resonates (which will be hard for truck drivers) then the nut will be cracked.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    And that’s the crux. We’re not programmed to think beyond range. When somebody cracks the nut and says “6hrs drive time uninterrupted” and it resonates (which will be hard for truck drivers) then the nut will be cracked.
    That's our dilemma. On an everyday basis an electric vehicle works. I ride to work everyday. My gf either rides or car pools. I would really like to have one. But we take multiple trips back to LA or Mississippi every year. That's when it doesn't work for us. To make the trip we need the range. Even then we would need to stop and charge up ~30 to an hour to make the trip. That's just to make the trip. Not to fully recharge.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Which is why it doesn’t resonate with the average person. Too many people with too many experiences….Just like “rent for the outlier” doesn’t resonate; unless you grew up in NYC, nobody sees renting a car as a feature.

There's a lot of average folks who the gas gauge doesn't register with either. They think it's on E, but I can make it. That will be a lot of fun to add to the mix when all the dead battery cars are stuck on the side of the road. Hopefully they make it to the side because that battery adds some serious weight.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    My service truck (I own the company, so yeah - it's literally "MY" truck) is a one-ton dually 4x4 w/a utility bed and lift gate. A 250 mile RT isn't all that unusual....with lots of gate up/down operations. And those locations are out in the boonies...forget a EV recharge station. And as others have mentioned - our other car is for long trips - 1-2k miles each way. Now....let's say it's an EV, we live in Houston and a hurricane is coming and the city is told to evacuate. Remember the last time, and all the cars that ran out of gas? How many are going to run out of battery even sooner?
    I have a novel idea - let's let each individual make their OWN damned choice!!

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Personally, I think nuclear energy is the clean answer, but IMO, that is going to be harder an obstacle than ever, especially with the current administration, and the "greenies"
    It would take a major investment in years and capital to get thru the NRC process of approval before construction could begin.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Last time I pulled anything with my truck was in 2005 when I still had my race bike.
    I haven't towed anything since my RV was stolen several years ago. At current gas prices I will never replace the RV. The difference between driving my truck and car is about 5-6 mpg.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    It would take a major investment in years and capital to get thru the NRC process of approval before construction could begin.
    I think last I heard before you can even begin construction on a new plant its something like 12 years of NRC and permit/plans approvals. Then you have the building of the thing over several years then another substantial period of time before it goes online.

Top Bottom