• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2008
    Cedar Hill
    ...of Your Application.

I sent the completed packet a couple of weeks ago to the DPS (USPS certified mail)
    So the packet is sitting on someone's desk.
    I can log in with the PIN and it says "Packed shipped to Applicant"

Anyone else here who cannot properly track the status of the renewal application?
    Lynx Defense

Jeff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    I acquired my CHL, along with three others, during the heart of their backlog, before they had hired more people to help them play catch up.

Anyway, I checked it almost daily and if I remember the results were something like "Packet mailed to applicant" all the way up until the very end where it said "Application Processing." I had checked it days before I received my actual license and it still said processing though when I got it in the mail that day I checked it again just out of curiosity and it said completed. So in other words, it's not updated very often at all like already posted. It's understandable IMO, let them use the time to work on your App instead of trying to keep you updated.

Acquiring Social Security Disability is the exact same way. They give you a login number to check the status but basically the status doesn't change until you already receive something in the mail, etc. Then it doesn't matter anyway. It's the case with all licensing and such, being that your info is tossed around so much they probably don't even know the exact status of it.

perchjerk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    mine said "processing application" for nealry 5 months. sometime last week it changed to "application completed...license issued or certificare active. " one week later(yesterday) it was in my hands!

Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    Odd.... the status check seems to be working pretty well for a lot of people. My status too 2 weeks to go from "packet mailed" to "processing". Well...the state technically has 30 days from receipt to start processing... so that seems to be in order. Pretty much everyone who's seen their status go from "processing" to "application completed" has gotten their card in around a week. Seems reasonable. Sure, they could have other steps in the middle but hey...

Jeff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    Odd.... the status check seems to be working pretty well for a lot of people. My status too 2 weeks to go from "packet mailed" to "processing". Well...the state technically has 30 days from receipt to start processing... so that seems to be in order. Pretty much everyone who's seen their status go from "processing" to "application completed" has gotten their card in around a week. Seems reasonable. Sure, they could have other steps in the middle but hey...

That's good to hear! It's likely due to the fact that awhile back the DPS hired around 20-30 temps to help them with the backlog so they very well may be caught up by now. Like I said I applied and acquired mine during the prime of the backlog which is why mine and a few others I know of didn't have much of an online update to look at. Personally mine was updated with about 3-4 different status updates during the entire four month timeframe. "Packet mailed to applicant; processing; and license completed/mailed." Might've been 1-2 other updates during that time but I don't remember exactly.

A DPS employee working in the CHL processing in Austin said that they were working seven days a week to play catch up with 20-30 new employees. This was months ago so I'm unsure if it is still like this or not. He also stated that sometimes the online status check may not be exact due to the fact that your application is tossed around to several different areas. Not surprisingly the initial stage is the department that receives and processes the money and no application is even started until this portion is processed. Additional departments or teams do the background checks and various other portions of the license. And in the final steps, for example, the stage of physically making the license is contracted out to a company who does the work for them.

Good luck guys. It's tough waiting, I know. I still remember the day I received my license. I was leaving to run errands and checked my mailbox the minute it arrived, as I had daily for months awaiting my license. I went back inside, grabbed my piece, and was on my way. It's weird how one day it'd be illegal to carry concealed and the next you receive your license, throw it in your wallet, and you're legal.

Jeff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008

Yeah, I received my license the day after the online status said completed. In fact I believe it was postmarked before the online status was updated. So as soon as it was mailed it was updated online. The thing is, if you have your license in hand the online status no longer means a damn thing.

blazer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    San Antonio
    Hello Y'all. I'm new so be gentle.
    I took my Class back in Feb, but wanted to scrounge up the 140 before I sent it in. I mailed it around Nov 10th. They took my money out of my checking account about 7 days later. Today, Dec 12th, I got a letter with my PIN #. I checked it online and it now says "Application Processing". How long do you think it will take to say "completed".
    Also, I have home owners taxes that I'm making payments on and working with an accountant still to file 2008 Fed taxes. (long story, my wife was sick and it got complicated). Anyone know what kind of hickeys they are looking for in background check? I have no criminal record or even recent speeding tickets. Just taxes that I've had to work out.

perchjerk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Blazer, after they recieved my papers it took app. 4.5 months for it to change to "application completed". after it changed i recieved my plastic 1 week later. there are reports of ppl getting the plastic within the 60 day mark now. sound like they are getting caught up on things. i would say u will get it in 2-3 months.

Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    My application was completed and certificate authorized this last week... Thursday. It was "complete" 37 days after the state received it... and it took 15 days to go from "packet mailed" to "processing" from date of receipt. Another individual with whom I'm familiar had his packet show up at the state the same day as mine, and both of us went to "processing" on the same day, and both of us went to "complete" on the same day. He lives in Tarrant county and I in Denton. I think that the county you live in makes a big difference. The DFW Metro area counties seem to be VERY good at turn around.

blazer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    San Antonio
    Thanks for the info. I'll keep you posted on what happens with mine. I'm hoping for the best. I'm in Bexar County (San Antonio) but moving to Houston. I work in industrial sales and have to travel alot, so I'm hoping to be a bona fide cHL holder by the time I get settled there.

Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    And both myself and the guy I mentioned above got our plastic today. 39 days from the day the state got my packet until I got my card. Off to go walk around in public with a legally concealed handgun......

Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    My first day of walking around in public was a big no-issue. Nobody knew. My WIFE who KNEW I got my plastic in yesterday morning didn't know, and I just had a tshirt on for cover.

blazer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    San Antonio
    I knew a guy who used to wear a fishing vest almost 24/7 just so he could hide his 357 mag Taurus revolver in a shoulder holster. Haven't decided how I will conceal yet. Might need a new gun. Mine is a llama 9mm that is same size as 1911. It is HEAVY.

Jeff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    I knew a guy who used to wear a fishing vest almost 24/7 just so he could hide his 357 mag Taurus revolver in a shoulder holster. Haven't decided how I will conceal yet. Might need a new gun. Mine is a llama 9mm that is same size as 1911. It is HEAVY.

Glock, IMO. I carry a G27 on a daily basis. Combined with my IWB holster I often forget it's even there. As in, I don't notice the feel of it all that much.

That's not to say you can't conceal a 1911 or similar size weapon, I just choose not to attempt to do so.

I also know a guy who always wears a vest and can therefore always wears a 1911 inside of a shoulder holster w/ two spare mags.

blazer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    San Antonio
    Sent an e-mail to DPS asking how long it is taking these days. The short answer was "we recieved your application on 11/12, It can take 60 days."

We'll see if it gets done before Jan 12.

Anyone ever hear of someone Carrying concealed with single action revolver? I read an article (can't remember where). This columnist for a gun mag said that he knew several other columnist who regularly carry Single action revolvers as their concealed weapon. I like lots of ammo, but am most accurate with single action revolver.

perchjerk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    congrats Zilla! it seems the wait is getting shorter and shorter so i know thats good news to all those who are still waiting!

Top Bottom