TrackingPoint...Cheating, or simply applying modern technology to an age old challeng

Discussion in 'Guns Over Texas Radio Show' started by gcmj45acp, Oct 25, 2013.

1. gcmj45acp

gcmj45acp Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    I got a chance to spend a couple hours with the folks at TrackingPoint this week. $27,500 is a lot of money to burn on a rifle but, for a small (really small) segment of the market, I can see value in the concept and this particular system. What do you guys think of this technology for hunting or law enforcement applications?

2. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 TGT Addict

Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I think its cool. Just not 27K cool.

3. gcmj45acp

gcmj45acp Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    Can't blame you there. I'm not in that tax-bracket either. But, in an apples to apples comparison vs conventional glass, I can see the value for their ideal client.

4. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Is there such a thing as cheating? I mean, really?

If this is cheating, then what about the good ballistic calculators out there that will do pretty much the same thing? And then you've got products like BORS from Barrett.

Just an evolution. It's ridiculously expensive right now, and I don't see it being any better than a ballistic calculator app at this point, but it's pushing the ball forward in an interesting direction.

5. Das Jared

Das Jared TGT Addict

Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    It would be a good way to introduce someone who has never shot before, IF you have the money. It makes it seriously easy to shoot, then you bump them over to other stuff so they can learn the fundamentals, and not start out bummed out because they cant hit anything

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

6. T-FAST

T-FAST Well-Known

Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    You still have to do the hardest part.... Make wind calls, not really cheating, it just puts the ballistic calculator in the scope. You are getting an $8000 dollar rifle with it though.

7. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    TrackingPoint...Cheating, or simply applying modern technology to an age old ...

Is this like the other system that gathers all the weather data and tracks the target, you just hold the trigger and the gun fires when you're on.

If so, I agree that it removes marksmanship from the equation but I could see some military application.

8. gcmj45acp

gcmj45acp Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    As far as I know, this is THE system that does that. I've seen other ballistic calculators but, none that provided a persistent tag on the intended point of impact and could track it other than TrackingPoint.

T-Fast, you're right. You must still make the wind call and that's the hardest part of long range shooting. You also have to hold steady enough to tag the intended point of impact for tagging to begin with and then of course bring the rifle onto target to allow the system to fire. As I see it, the shooter is still very much involved.

9. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Moderator Moderator

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX

10. treiz

treiz New Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    If you don't have an unfair advantage you are doing it wrong.