APOD Firearms

TrackingPoint...Cheating, or simply applying modern technology to an age old challeng

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gcmj45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    I got a chance to spend a couple hours with the folks at TrackingPoint this week. $27,500 is a lot of money to burn on a rifle but, for a small (really small) segment of the market, I can see value in the concept and this particular system. What do you guys think of this technology for hunting or law enforcement applications?
    Lynx Defense

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Is there such a thing as cheating? I mean, really?

If this is cheating, then what about the good ballistic calculators out there that will do pretty much the same thing? And then you've got products like BORS from Barrett.

Just an evolution. It's ridiculously expensive right now, and I don't see it being any better than a ballistic calculator app at this point, but it's pushing the ball forward in an interesting direction.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    It would be a good way to introduce someone who has never shot before, IF you have the money. It makes it seriously easy to shoot, then you bump them over to other stuff so they can learn the fundamentals, and not start out bummed out because they cant hit anything

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    You still have to do the hardest part.... Make wind calls, not really cheating, it just puts the ballistic calculator in the scope. You are getting an $8000 dollar rifle with it though.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    TrackingPoint...Cheating, or simply applying modern technology to an age old ...

Is this like the other system that gathers all the weather data and tracks the target, you just hold the trigger and the gun fires when you're on.

If so, I agree that it removes marksmanship from the equation but I could see some military application.

gcmj45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    Is this like the other system that gathers all the weather data and tracks the target, you just hold the trigger and the gun fires when you're on.

If so, I agree that it removes marksmanship from the equation but I could see some military application.
    As far as I know, this is THE system that does that. I've seen other ballistic calculators but, none that provided a persistent tag on the intended point of impact and could track it other than TrackingPoint.

T-Fast, you're right. You must still make the wind call and that's the hardest part of long range shooting. You also have to hold steady enough to tag the intended point of impact for tagging to begin with and then of course bring the rifle onto target to allow the system to fire. As I see it, the shooter is still very much involved.

preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    It's for killing people, not "fighting fair". It's no different in that regard than the fire control systems that have vastly improved the accuracy of artillery.

Top Bottom