• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Just scored a "broken" 22" Traeger for $75. I'm out of town right now, so i won't pick it up until Sunday.

Description says it doesn't make noise or heat up.

My research tells me it's probably the $30 auger motor. Even the $20 igniter rod would be an inexpensive maintenance part.

Really want to get a HUGE one in the future. If I can get this working it'll be a nice test run and maybe flip it later towards an upgrade.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    DK Firearms

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Call Traeger for parts. They used to be pretty helpful over the phone.

If you like the turd burners then take a long hard look at a Rec-Tec. I had a Traeger for years. Gave it to my buddy when I left Portland. Purchased a Rec-Tec when I got here. It's a far superior grill.

Also make sure it's not plugged into a GFI outlet. Due to the way the ignitor rod works they don't play well with a GFI circuit.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Call Traeger for parts. They used to be pretty helpful over the phone.

If you like the turd burners then take a long hard look at a Rec-Tec. I had a Traeger for years. Gave it to my buddy when I left Portland. Purchased a Rec-Tec when I got here. It's a far superior grill.

Also make sure it's not plugged into a GFI outlet. Due to the way the ignitor rod works they don't play well with a GFI circuit.
    I have been looking at Rec Tec for a few years. When I do upgrade, I plan to do something built into stone. I'll figure it out when I get to that point.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Well damn. Finally took a look at the Traeger.

First thing to check was the fuse. Pulled the main thermostat (the actual control board) and fuse was good.... then I discovered that something had shorted, there was a huge burn mark on the front and melted thingies (resistors, capacitors, whatever) on the back.

Looks like I'm rebuilding the whole damn thing. $60-70 for the thermostat, $30 for the auger motor, $25 for an upgraded hot rod, $20 for an induction fan... $10 for a couple cans of BBQ paint.

Still, $230ish ain't bad for a fresh build. I could try to keep some of the electronics, but why not start fresh I guess.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    I just use charcoal and an old cast aluminum grill. :green:
    I ditched my propane grill a few years ago and picked up a Weber charcoal grill. One of the best things I ever did.

The Traegers are supposed to be pretty awesome... should be nice to toss a brisket in there and come back 12 hours later without checking on it.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Traeger is a ok pellet grill. There are much better ones available. I had a Traeger for years. I now have a Rec Tec. It's a far superior grill with a much better controller. It will automatically relight where the Traeger won't. The design of the pellet hopper is much better on the RT than the Traeger. It's just a lot of little things that add up.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Traeger is a ok pellet grill. There are much better ones available. I had a Traeger for years. I now have a Rec Tec. It's a far superior grill with a much better controller. It will automatically relight where the Traeger won't. The design of the pellet hopper is much better on the RT than the Traeger. It's just a lot of little things that add up.
    I do eventually plan to upgrade and do a built-in setup along with a propane grill and maybe a griddle... I dunno.

Everything I've read about rec-tec is far superior, especially now that they make them in black.

I just ordered up an upgraded controller, igniter, and auger motor for mine. Also have to pick up some scrap metal since the little v-channel the drip tray sits in broke when I breathed on it lol.

Gonna take some work, but once I done it should be pretty nice. Should be able to flip it for some cash when I upgrade.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Soooo.....what's the follow up on this?

I had a big Traeger that I got for a song at Costco when the traveling Traeger guy was having a bad day. Loved it, but sold it (almost even) when we moved into a townhouse.

Bought a real house again in January, and mamma spotted a big RecTec in a Facebook group for $800.....its NICE. Takes a full 30 pound bag of Traeger pellets, has the fold out front stainless steel table, and the cold smoker ok the side. Never appreciated smoked cheeses until I did my own.

Before my better half found the RecTec, I was looking for any decent to high end pellet grill/smoker that had fried and someone had given up on to upgrade all the components. They make some bad azz kits to upgrade or retrofit just about anything.

Long story short, love my pellet grill.....the RecTec I love a lot more than the Traeger because it auto-relights. I had to emergency rescue a couple briskets off the Traeger after I thought it'd been smoking all night. The RT has been a beast.

Until I learned about sous vide, this was my favorite steak.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Maiden Voyage!

going with the 3-2-1 method. Never tried that before. 50/50 Hickory and Apple/Cherry/Maple

Upgraded controller/temp probe w/ smoke control
    New motor, upgraded hot rod.

Needs some repair on the inside. Got it bubba'd right now (grease drain).

I also learned a few things:
    I suck ass at welding
    Welding sheet metal fucking sucks
    You can't "burn through" rust with a mig.

After building a new grease drain, I need to wire brush the whole exterior and hit it with hi-temp paint.
    32c70363465cfa0d1c4c46ddefb3ae5d.jpg

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom