• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Out of state drivers suck. This morning alone, one guy blatantly blows a stop sign, at speed, and crosses all lanes of traffic coming off a side street. Then a bit later decides it prudent to ignore the school zone 25mph limit, with kids present. Goes ~45 ish by eyeball estimation instead. Still ends up behind me by choosing his lanes poorly. Oregon plate.

That shit pisses me off. Once upon a time, I was a school bus driver. Every. Damn. Day - some jackass would blow past my red lights because they're just too in a hurry to worry about the kids that are getting on or off the bus. We would get plates and forward to the local police for follow up, but at one point after requesting a police presence (traffic units) at a specific stop due to the flagrant violations that occurred daily (talking typically 3-4 cars blowing the red lights and speeding) the chief of police wrote us to say his officers were "too busy" for such details. This was a small town, not a big city. His motor cops were too busy ogling the Starbucks girls to do their jobs.

Literally the worst thing that can happen as a bus driver is having one (or more) of your kids killed - either by someone else, or God forbid, you don't see 'em and run them over yourself. You can't control what other people do, you can only try to instill in the kids that they have to stop and look at you and WAIT until you give them the signal to cross before they shoot across the road. Even then, random assholes can appear from nowhere.

While driving into Spring the other day on 2920 thru Tomball, I watched half a dozen cars blow the red lights of a bus that was stopped to unload kids. I guess those people were either special, or they didn't think that the red lights mean anything on a multi-lane road. Tomball PD could've made bank had they had some cops there, because it was also in a school zone.

I drive fast - but not in residential areas, and not in heavy traffic. There's a time & place for everything - school zones, neighborhoods and places with spazzy drivers sure ain't the time or place for being a speed demon.
    ARJ Defense ad

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    While driving into Spring the other day on 2920 thru Tomball, I watched half a dozen cars blow the red lights of a bus that was stopped to unload kids.
    A schoolbus was unloading kids on 2920? In the best of circumstances that seems dangerous to me. I mean, that road is so wide, so busy, and so fast that the potential for the red lights on the bus to create a speed differential in approaching cars sufficient to cause a crash seems way too high for me to be comfortable. And once cars start bumping into each other, who knows where they'll go and what or who they'll hit?

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    A schoolbus was unloading kids on 2920? In the best of circumstances that seems dangerous to me. I mean, that road is so wide, so busy, and so fast that the potential for the red lights on the bus to create a speed differential in approaching cars sufficient to cause a crash seems way too high for me to be comfortable. And once cars start bumping into each other, who knows where they'll go and what or who they'll hit?

Yep - couple businesses up from the Texaco. I agree in general its a terrible place for a bus stop, and its begging for some sort of accident / incident there. If it were a divided roadway, and they were only stopping the two lanes traveling the same direction, it wouldn't be bad. Sometimes you have to wonder about the person making the routes, but sometimes you're stuck with a crappy spot for a stop. There isn't a wide enough shoulder there to do an off-road stop (pulling off like a city transit bus would) which wouldn't use the student load lights.

pfflyer55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2022
    Texas
    Just ingested a 5 lb. bag of stale popcorn and was totally entertained for about the first half. The way I see it here in Texas is play at your own risk and move over to the right when necessary, and No Brake Check! If you do then expect an accurately placed "Red Dot" on your forehead! LOL #@$%

I'm a transplant from the I.E. near Redlands CA. luckily I have learned early not to press my luck.

Lazyfaire

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2021
    New Braunfels
    Drivers suck all over. No state is more special than another. Failure to yield is against the law everywhere. If it doesn't get enforced then that's the place to complain to. It drives me nuts also. If people are passing you on the right then that's where YOU should be. Let them speed by, its really not a race in which you win a trophy.

Semis speeding? Not for it at all. Many semi combinations are not in good mechanical health anyway. None should ever be in the left lane. My 2 cents

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Just ingested a 5 lb. bag of stale popcorn and was totally entertained for about the first half. The way I see it here in Texas is play at your own risk and move over to the right when necessary, and No Brake Check! If you do then expect an accurately placed "Red Dot" on your forehead! LOL #@$%

I'm a transplant from the I.E. near Redlands CA. luckily I have learned early not to press my luck.

Pretty much!

Watch out for lifted trucks doing 25+ over the limit

Watch out of riced out shitbox Hondas with 10% tinting and script scrawled across the windows doing 25+ over the limit

Watch out for farm implements when you leave the city

The police will pass your slow ass if you're only doing 10 over, except in town where speed limits are 35 or less, then they'll pull you over for doing 10 over

If you don't get flipped off at least once per trip, are you even trying?

Once you acclimate, driving isn't so bad. If you come from a place with bad drivers generally, you'll probably adapt quicker.

And half of the bad drivers on the roads around here are probably foreign transplants anyway. If they're driving the speed limit or less, they're probably goddamned Oregonians who still haven't adapted. Watch out for little green tree stickers, subarus, or licence plates with a tree in the middle... :laughing:

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Be glad you're not in No VA, around DC. BUT... it was just awesome watching some foreigner TRY to take a corner on yellow at 45 with an inch of snow.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Be glad you're not in No VA, around DC. BUT... it was just awesome watching some foreigner TRY to take a corner on yellow at 45 with an inch of snow.
    Almost as much fun as seeing a Yankee, after bragging how northerners know how to drive on ice and snow, meet Texas black ice and wind up in the pasture after going through a ditch and barbwire fence.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    That shit pisses me off. Once upon a time, I was a school bus driver. Every. Damn. Day - some jackass would blow past my red lights because they're just too in a hurry to worry about the kids that are getting on or off the bus. We would get plates and forward to the local police for follow up, but at one point after requesting a police presence (traffic units) at a specific stop due to the flagrant violations that occurred daily (talking typically 3-4 cars blowing the red lights and speeding) the chief of police wrote us to say his officers were "too busy" for such details. This was a small town, not a big city. His motor cops were too busy ogling the Starbucks girls to do their jobs.

Literally the worst thing that can happen as a bus driver is having one (or more) of your kids killed - either by someone else, or God forbid, you don't see 'em and run them over yourself. You can't control what other people do, you can only try to instill in the kids that they have to stop and look at you and WAIT until you give them the signal to cross before they shoot across the road. Even then, random assholes can appear from nowhere.

While driving into Spring the other day on 2920 thru Tomball, I watched half a dozen cars blow the red lights of a bus that was stopped to unload kids. I guess those people were either special, or they didn't think that the red lights mean anything on a multi-lane road. Tomball PD could've made bank had they had some cops there, because it was also in a school zone.

I drive fast - but not in residential areas, and not in heavy traffic. There's a time & place for everything - school zones, neighborhoods and places with spazzy drivers sure ain't the time or place for being a speed demon.

I was about 10 when a little girl was killed by a guy who blew past a school bus unloading right in front of my grandparents house when they lived on the highway. She lived right across the highway from them with her grandparents. It was the last day of school. Her grandmother was killed years later by a drunk driver in almost the same spot.

Ingramite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Hill Country
    Not of any importance but how I spent my July 4th was especially relevant to the matter at hand here.

I had the pleasure of driving from Marshall to Ingram in a 1959 VW bug. Using every one of the 39 horses under my right foot netted me 63mph if going downhill with a tailwind.

First off, I went to 4 different gas stations in Marshall and was unable to buy a paper road map. See, I wanted to plan a route that kept me off the interstate. Why? Because I care.

I'm not new to operating a rolling roadblock. Way back when my kids were little we toured all over Texas in a VW bus. It was the only vehicle that I could afford to keep on the road that had seating capacity for 5 kids and 6 dogs. Air Cooled don't even begin to explain how cozy it was in there, like mid August in Big Bend.

Anyway, my new bug has tail lights about the diameter of a quarter, two of em. Headlights are outshined by a Zippo lighter held out the window. Oh yeah, 6 volts and I got my whip out after all damn 6 of em.

Being realistic about lighting, I lit out at 7am with a plan of keeping my foot to the floor and the left door closed. That plan would roll me through the front gate well before dark.

The first thing that I noted right off was that in 1959 VW bugs were not equipped with a gas gage. I'm not sure but I'm thinking that I have a 10 gallon tank but time will tell. Since I have no idea how many miles per gallon I'm going to enjoy is just magnified by the fact that the odometer isn't working anyway.

It did seem almost sacrilege to fire up my cellphone and use Google Maps..a concession to the 21st century I guess..

My phone routed me down Hwy 79 then the loop around Berkley on the Colorado. I don't care to try that loop again in a VW....ever. Once I got out the other side on Hwy 290 I could relax again.

I dusted off an old VW operator skill, Cessation of Worry. No a/c means the windows are down with both wing windows kicked in for maximum air flow. No radio. Plenty of time to enjoy the beautiful Texas highways that we are blessed with.

I kept one eye in the tiny rear view mirrors and spent as many miles on the shoulder letting folks pass as I did out left of the fog line.

It was a Love Fest.
    The whole trip just bolstered my general sunny disposition. Almost every vehicle that whizzed by me flipped their taillights in appreciation for me taking to the shoulder. I lost track of all the peace signs flashed and thumbs up I received.

I arrived in Ingram 10 hours later. After a shower I slept like a baby for another 10 hours.

Touring in an old air cooled VW. Whew, it really puts things in perspective. I'm sure glad that I've reconnected with a joy I'd forgotten about.

Then I noticed that I am replying to a thread that's over a year old.....right on time for me.

Top Bottom