• ...and so much more!
  • jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    When we travel between Dallas and anywhere east of Terrell, we always jump off the interstate and take the old Hwy 80 and go thru all the old towns the interstate bypassed. At one time there were still a few old motels that had signs saying "Refrigerated Air". The drive takes a little longer but sure is more peaceful with the tall pines and no traffic and a DQ along the way to boot.
    I love it too

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    No.

57e6147d6695a7cedc09c37a17351a52.jpg
    This looks like the route that I have to drive to buy and sell guns with you guys. :)

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    I've been here a long ass time, and the #1 thing that messed up the driving here more than ANYTHING, is mobile phones. Which, realistically, is just a symptom of a much larger problem in that people seem to have this "need" to be constantly entertained or they lose their minds.
    Preach on brother. It's scary watching all the people playing with the phone while driving

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I had the pleasure of driving from Marshall to Ingram in a 1959 VW bug. Using every one of the 39 horses under my right foot netted me 63mph if going downhill with a tailwind.

First off, I went to 4 different gas stations in Marshall and was unable to buy a paper road map. See, I wanted to plan a route that kept me off the interstate.
    Hey, I think I saw you on 79 between Taylor and Hutto! Very nice bug.

To avoid interstates, pull up the options in Google maps and click "avoid highways". It'll still put you on state highways, but will keep you off the big ones. Works for Waze, too. I usually use that option even when driving a modern car because I prefer the scenic route.

Next time you make that drive, take FM 908 from Rockdale, then FM 1331, and then Hwy 29 to go around Austin. Much more scenic and relaxing... You can take 29 all the way to 281, but I highly recommend taking 1869 from Liberty Hill, then 1174, and 1431 to Marble Falls. Although the bug might not like the hills on 1431 :laughing:

Ingramite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Hill Country
    Hey, I think I saw you on 79 between Taylor and Hutto! Very nice bug.

To avoid interstates, pull up the options in Google maps and click "avoid highways". It'll still put you on state highways, but will keep you off the big ones. Works for Waze, too. I usually use that option even when driving a modern car because I prefer the scenic route.

Next time you make that drive, take FM 908 from Rockdale, then FM 1331, and then Hwy 29 to go around Austin. Much more scenic and relaxing... You can take 29 all the way to 281, but I highly recommend taking 1869 from Liberty Hill, then 1174, and 1431 to Marble Falls. Although the bug might not like the hills on 1431 :laughing:
    Thanks for the kind words and route.

The VW looks pretty good from 20 yards. It gets scary up close though.

Lazyfaire

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2021
    New Braunfels
    Not of any importance but how I spent my July 4th was especially relevant to the matter at hand here.

I had the pleasure of driving from Marshall to Ingram in a 1959 VW bug. Using every one of the 39 horses under my right foot netted me 63mph if going downhill with a tailwind.

First off, I went to 4 different gas stations in Marshall and was unable to buy a paper road map. See, I wanted to plan a route that kept me off the interstate. Why? Because I care.

I'm not new to operating a rolling roadblock. Way back when my kids were little we toured all over Texas in a VW bus. It was the only vehicle that I could afford to keep on the road that had seating capacity for 5 kids and 6 dogs. Air Cooled don't even begin to explain how cozy it was in there, like mid August in Big Bend.

Anyway, my new bug has tail lights about the diameter of a quarter, two of em. Headlights are outshined by a Zippo lighter held out the window. Oh yeah, 6 volts and I got my whip out after all damn 6 of em.

Being realistic about lighting, I lit out at 7am with a plan of keeping my foot to the floor and the left door closed. That plan would roll me through the front gate well before dark.

The first thing that I noted right off was that in 1959 VW bugs were not equipped with a gas gage. I'm not sure but I'm thinking that I have a 10 gallon tank but time will tell. Since I have no idea how many miles per gallon I'm going to enjoy is just magnified by the fact that the odometer isn't working anyway.

It did seem almost sacrilege to fire up my cellphone and use Google Maps..a concession to the 21st century I guess..

My phone routed me down Hwy 79 then the loop around Berkley on the Colorado. I don't care to try that loop again in a VW....ever. Once I got out the other side on Hwy 290 I could relax again.

I dusted off an old VW operator skill, Cessation of Worry. No a/c means the windows are down with both wing windows kicked in for maximum air flow. No radio. Plenty of time to enjoy the beautiful Texas highways that we are blessed with.

I kept one eye in the tiny rear view mirrors and spent as many miles on the shoulder letting folks pass as I did out left of the fog line.

It was a Love Fest.
    The whole trip just bolstered my general sunny disposition. Almost every vehicle that whizzed by me flipped their taillights in appreciation for me taking to the shoulder. I lost track of all the peace signs flashed and thumbs up I received.

I arrived in Ingram 10 hours later. After a shower I slept like a baby for another 10 hours.

Touring in an old air cooled VW. Whew, it really puts things in perspective. I'm sure glad that I've reconnected with a joy I'd forgotten about.

Then I noticed that I am replying to a thread that's over a year old.....right on time for me.
    I can relate. Drove back and forth to college (Indy to Mich) 200 miles each way in a VW bus. In the days of 55mph (which was all it might do on a good day) we had a brick to throw down on the gas pedal. No A/C and heating was obviously an option the previous owner had decided was frivolous! Driver had to be swapped out bc their feet got too cold.

BTW-- I think your joy was realizing this wasn't going to be an everyday thing for you. (110 degrees with your only A/C being to go faster in a car that won't!).

Those were good times back then tho. I'm with ya!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    My wife lacks the ability to drive in large city traffic! She can't comprehend the points of compass, fails at reading a map, and can't seem to understand an read signs telling her where she needs to go.

Top Bottom