Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    the #1 thing that messed up the driving here more than ANYTHING, is mobile phones. Which, realistically, is just a symptom of a much larger problem in that people seem to have this "need" to be constantly entertained...
    I see this three ways.
    • I'd never attempt to be entertained while driving. That's such an obvious distraction that it never occurred to me until I saw it in your post. Actually, I'm not even sure I read you correctly.
    • I've tried to text while driving, iirc, two times. That was enough for me to know I can't safely multitask like that. I'm not without some skills yet it was utterly impossible for me. I don't believe anyone can do it safely.
    • Talking on the phone while driving isn't so bad. Before cellphones, I often drove with one hand. I've always talked to my passengers while driving. I don't see the problem with merging those behaviors as long as I'm still as attentive to the road as I was 40 years ago.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Naw. Posted speed limits are merely suggestions for the extremely elderly or inexperienced.

And as far as the speed limits being necessary to safely negotiate a curve, the posted speed limits are typically ridiculously conservative.
    Nope. You have not idea what you are talking about, but that's ok; you do you.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If you are always in such a hurry then
    leave earlier.

Can't leave earlier.

If you had spent as much time behind the windshield as I have, you might drive a little faster too.

All joking aside, I generally keep it within five mph or so of the limit. But it irks me no end when slow traffic is in the left lane creating rolling roadblocks.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Anybody besides me ever seen two 18 wheelers with Cali tags drag racing up Ranger Hill at 45 mph?
    Or I30 headed through Ar? Same deal. Only there are 50 of them in a line, both lanes.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Nope. You have not idea what you are talking about, but that's ok; you do you.
    Well, I have taken many a curve well above the curve warning sign limit, typically about 20 mph higher sometimes more. For more decades than some on this board have been alive. Haven't ended up in a ditch yet.

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    9Fvmwqu.gif

I can always tell a California driver: I'm doing the speed limit (or better) on an open road. A California driver will speed up, pass me, then pull in front of me leaving a car length or two between us, then slow down, forcing me to hit my brakes.

They're terrible, careless drivers, who can't parallel park.

DShooter is a typical Cal-tard.

**** up California, then move some place better and complain about your new home. Soon, they'll vote for the same slate of ass-hats who fucked up California (and Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, New Mexico, etc.).

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I am not sure that being "marked" as such is required.
    I've been wrong plenty of times before though...

Back years ago when I worked out of state, it seemed most of the highways and interstates were marked with signs. Then not long after, I started noticing that more highways and interstates here in Texas were getting marked the same. Exactly when, I don't remember.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    I am not sure that being "marked" as such is required.
    I've been wrong plenty of times before though...

If it IS marked (with a white regulation sign) and you are lollygagging in the lane it is punishable up to a $200 fine in Texas.
    It is NOT marked, then it is common courtesy that the left lane is reserved for passing or and faster-moving traffic.
    Sadly, not many people are courteous anymore but oh well.

Top Bottom