Traffic speeds in TX

oldag

TGT Addict
Feb 19, 2015
Pretty sure it's folks takin' umbrage from bein' told "In California, we..."

I don't GAF how they do it in CA - or anywhere else, for that matter.
So now we are getting triggered by microaggressions??

oldag

TGT Addict
Feb 19, 2015
See that also in other rural states. Scares the hell out of me, no telling what they will hit on the shoulder that will cause them to veer back on the road.
Been a tradition in rural Texas since cars first came. Never had a problem with it. Seen DPS pull over on the shoulder to let folks by. The folks pulling over are able to see ahead, if there is an obstruction, they simply don't pull over right then.

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
See that also in other rural states. Scares the hell out of me, no telling what they will hit on the shoulder that will cause them to veer back on the road. Also think of the guy that pulled across the road then abruptly turned right in front of vehicles behind. "Well everybody knows I live here".
So you don’t like that people move over to let you pass? I do it, and I wave to anyone nice enough to let me by.

Pretty easy to look ahead on the shoulder. Most don’t do it topping hills and such where it’s blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozzman

Aug 17, 2015
El Paso, Texas
Triangle lane?? Do you mean the HOV lane?

Also, the SPEED LIMIT is just that... the "LIMIT". Anything beyond that limit is subject to a moving violation. No one is stopping you from going over it, but if you get pulled over for 61 in a 60 it is technically speeding and you can get a ticket especially if the cop is having a bad day.

Posted speeds are partly based on the roadway's design speed of curve lengths and sight distances. It is a CYA baseline for the state so that when you tear yourself up into pieces exceeding this limit; it's on you, not them. Texas highways are typically designed for 75 mph speeds, thus to be extra careful we sign it down to 60 or 70 mph on the high end. Take a curve at 90 mph in a 60 mph zone, you are asking for a date with the ditch fairy.

Brains

Hey! Relax!
Apr 9, 2013
Spring
I've been here a long ass time, and the #1 thing that messed up the driving here more than ANYTHING, is mobile phones. Which, realistically, is just a symptom of a much larger problem in that people seem to have this "need" to be constantly entertained or they lose their minds.

oldag

TGT Addict
Feb 19, 2015
Triangle lane?? Do you mean the HOV lane?

Also, the SPEED LIMIT is just that... the "LIMIT". Anything beyond that limit is subject to a moving violation. No one is stopping you from going over it, but if you get pulled over for 61 in a 60 it is technically speeding and you can get a ticket especially if the cop is having a bad day.

Posted speeds are partly based on the roadway's design speed of curve lengths and sight distances. It is a CYA baseline for the state so that when you tear yourself up into pieces exceeding this limit; it's on you, not them. Texas highways are typically designed for 75 mph speeds, thus to be extra careful we sign it down to 60 or 70 mph on the high end. Take a curve at 90 mph in a 60 mph zone, you are asking for a date with the ditch fairy.
Naw. Posted speed limits are merely suggestions for the extremely elderly or inexperienced.

And as far as the speed limits being necessary to safely negotiate a curve, the posted speed limits are typically ridiculously conservative.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Forum statistics

Threads