• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Honest question, why would she choose the left lane?

One of the behaviors I see that's quite common, but I can't wrap my head around why, is people who enter the freeway and make a very deliberate and hasty transition to the left lane. Why is that? My hunch is they feel like they don't have to pay as much attention to the road, and can forego having to worry about the traffic transitions from cars merging at the ramps. What's worse, is many who love to camp the left lane also lack the courtesy for drivers around them, and won't move over when a car approaches from behind.

No idea why she was in that lane. Maybe a car had previously been in front of her in the right lane and she changed lanes to pass and saw no point in moving back. Maybe it was smoother. Doubt there was much merging going on around the Itasca area.

Hell, on empty highways with no traffic I’ve been known to drive right down the line.

As far as traffic coming in from ramps, there are times it makes a lot more sense to stay out of the right lane because it will just cause more problems for the people trying to merge in an out of it, and you may end up stuck there as well with a line of cars on your left, slow car in front, car on your bumper, and some poor bastard trying to merge with no where to go. Traffic just isn’t a 1 or 0 question and rules of thumb don’t always work out that well.

Personally, I prefer the center lane if 3 are available since I’m not speeding, merging, or exiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    One of the behaviors I see that's quite common, but I can't wrap my head around why, is people who enter the freeway and make a very deliberate and hasty transition to the left lane. Why is that? My hunch is they feel like they don't have to pay as much attention to the road, and can forego having to worry about the traffic transitions from cars merging at the ramps. What's worse, is many who love to camp the left lane also lack the courtesy for drivers around them, and won't move over when a car approaches from behind.
    I won't defend left-lane camping. I don't do it and don't like it when other people do. However, where does it stop?

What I mean is, not that long ago I watched a long and passionate YT video about how the problem on American freeways was that everyone drove in the second-from-the-left lane. Seriously, the guy was all upset about it and advocated that if there were at least three lanes, no one should use the left two lanes for anything but passing.

It's not a defense of left-lane camping but I live too close to Houston to get too upset about it. Traffic density is often so high that much of the time there's no real "left lane"; there're just "all the lanes headed that-a-way."

And the folks that want to leave TWO left lanes clear? Nope. That's going too far.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I skipped 10 pages. Dunno WTF that guy's smoking "half the drivers don't drive the speed limit" - implying they're going slow? I encounter the occasional slow poke, but it seems everywhere else I've been in this wonderful state, 10 over the limit is average, and if you're doing the speed limit you better be in something safe, because you might be getting run over. Only people consistently driving anywhere near the speed limit on most roads are old people and Prius drivers. Old folks get a pass, they earned it for surviving so long, there's no excuse to drive a Prius. Ever.

Some of us also have company vehicles with GPS that sends out alerts to half the damn company if you go too fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    To me there's one over-arching rule everyone should follow, with everything in their life. Not just driving.
    Do unto others as you'd have done unto you.

Lane rules, traffic laws, whatever. We can argue that for days. Drive with kind intent, drive with courtesy, and drive collaboratively.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I remember a thing called highway etiquette, but then I also remember "end of speed limit" signs and police enforcing the passing lane laws.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    I drive the speed limit most of the time in town or no more than five over depending on the traffic. Works well in the small towns of Kerrville, Fredericksburg, Harper, Ingram, etc.
    Agree.

The Highway Patrol between Sonora and Ozona will write you a ticket for doing 83 in the 80. My ex-GF got one like that back in our UT Austin days (early 2000's). They know that you are just passing through, and any ticket they give you is just more $$ in their pocket because they know you are sure as heck not going to drive back out to the middle of Nowhere TX to talk to a judge. Send them a check and be done with it.

Funny how this post brought back this little nostalgia... F_ _ K that chick, and good riddance.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    When I was an AP at the high school years ago, I had the parking lot duty morning and afternoon. Once they got used to me being there, the problems seemed to fade away. If I had to warn them more than once, they were not allowed to park on school property for a while (and if they did, they would be towed! :green: The almighty school board made that rule and I loved it. When (if) parents complained, I told them they needed to check with the school board!

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I'm just wondering if all these offensive commentors are actually the people who are going slower than the speed limit in the speed lane. I see it all the time.
    I don't mean to be offensive to anyone. It's what I observe. It's like me seeing people driving off the freeway onto the frontage roads when traffic backs up and somebody complains that you need to have an SUV or truck to be able to do that.
    I thought the speed limit applied to all the lanes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom