• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    I was looking into getting my LTC for a while now. I know they say you have to have training for it. Would any know a good place around the Waco, or McGregor area that offers training for the LTC?
    I took some basic training before but I think the training was not good enough. it was more about how too, but not enough range time. I go out myself to practice but I rather get more training to make sure I'm doing it correctly or fix any issue they see wrong.

Any kind of help would be awesome.

Thank you,
    Venture Surplus ad

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    LTC testing is mainly legal with a range proficiency test, not training in firearms. Many LTC instructors also do firearm training. I am sure that others will suggest people in your area.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Unless you cannot hit a target at 15 yards do not worry about it. True you should practice but the proficiency part is rather easy. I took the class and the legal stuff was harder than the shooting part. At lest that was my experience, and I am not the greatest marksman. You have more time that you think in the shooting part. I do not recall exactly the round count but I think it is 15 rounds at 5 yards, 15 at 10 and 20 at 15, a total of 50 rounds.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    It’s not just about passing a test IMHO

Honestly, if you don’t feel proficient with your gun, then my reco is to train until you’re confident with it.

An LTC holder who isn’t confident in his gun, or in his abilities to use it, isn’t doing anyone any favors, you and the wife included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    It’s not just about passing a test IMHO

Honestly, if you don’t feel proficient with your gun, then my reco is to train until you’re confident with it.

An LTC holder who isn’t confident in his gun, or in his abilities to use it, isn’t doing anyone any favors, you and the wife included.

You are sooo correct about that. I think that's why I need to get more training. I know I could get on paper 15 feet but they won't be in groups. I guess I just need to focus first on getting train before doing anything regarding the LTC. That doesn't include pulling the weapon out and not pulling the trigger by accident. Thank you for all the great advice guy I really do appreciate it.

Dead Roman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    Pearland
    Hit the range on the reg. Make safety the priority and always have the highest standard of safety possible. If you meet someone who has a higher standard than you, learn, and adopt that. Dont just shoot paper or steel, mix things up. Shoot unknown distances and unusual situations. Train jam clearing and reloads. Learn how your gun works and how to fully disassemble it. Own all the tools required to work on all of your guns.

Wallace Dunn

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2020
    Odessa, TX
    Unless you cannot hit a target at 15 yards do not worry about it. True you should practice but the proficiency part is rather easy. I took the class and the legal stuff was harder than the shooting part. At lest that was my experience, and I am not the greatest marksman. You have more time that you think in the shooting part. I do not recall exactly the round count but I think it is 15 rounds at 5 yards, 15 at 10 and 20 at 15, a total of 50 rounds.
    LTC Range Proficiency is 20 rounds at 3 yards, 20 rounds at 7 yards, and 10 rounds at 15 yards. With 35 in the 8 ring you have a passing score of 175, so most people pass at the 7 yard range.

MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    LTC Range Proficiency is 20 rounds at 3 yards, 20 rounds at 7 yards, and 10 rounds at 15 yards. With 35 in the 8 ring you have a passing score of 175, so most people pass at the 7 yard range.
    Awesome info!!! I will for sure remember that. Just need to write it down once I start hitting the range. Hopefully, in the next, I will head out and check out some ranges.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Paper can get misplaced or lost.

Much like herpes, posts on TGT last forever

Save this thread so you can come back to it later

In all seriousness, you’ll find it a lot easier to track the wealth of great info that people post.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    You are sooo correct about that. I think that's why I need to get more training. I know I could get on paper 15 feet but they won't be in groups. I guess I just need to focus first on getting train before doing anything regarding the LTC. That doesn't include pulling the weapon out and not pulling the trigger by accident. Thank you for all the great advice guy I really do appreciate it.
    I would find an instructor to work with you on handling your firearm and once you master that it will be a piece of cake. The class part is nothing more than knowing what's legal. Study the state gun laws before you take the class and you will ace the test.

MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    My goal this weekend is to head out to a range down the road. O
    One more question. Which do you guys recommend a holster for MP Shield 9mm a hip one or the one by your stomach. Don't know the name of that one. Since I'm stomach is that a place for someone that has a belly?

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I'm in Temple and go to either Webbers in Troy or Hicksville in Gatesville. If you head this way, shoot me a pm. I'll show you some grip techniques, trigger finger tips etc to help tighten up those groups.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    After watching the shooting part of the test - get some ammo and lots of range time!! LTC CLASS will teach you what you need to know for LTC - just a decent memory required to pass. Once you get good at 15 yd (7 yds a good start place) either hand/eye shooting consider carrying and possibly the LTC. You pick up the gun from the bench, shoot one or two, replace gun. Most ranges will NOT allow holster draw, you are on your own then. Paid training after you are good at the basics.

Cjohnston

Certified Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Fort Worth TX
    I'd be happy to give you some training if you want to come up to DFW. I can also hook you up with NRA online basic pistol training if you're interested. I usually include free range time for folks who buy those classes from me

edgrissom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    NE Texas
    I did a YouTube search for videos about the range proficiency test. It was interesting to see the process and routine you must go through. I can see how it would help to practice going through the routine just as much as practicing the actual shooting part.

MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    Thank you guys for all the good help. Well to my surprise my wife signed me up for the course a couple of weeks back. She got me up and said "Dropping you off at the range" lol... from the exam I missed 1 question overthinking it, and from shooting I got 195.

All my groups were to the left. The range master said I'm moving the gun to the left before pulling the trigger. He told me all I have to move is my finger and that's it. I bought 1000 rounds of 9mm for 300 something. I plan on going to the range more plus getting more training.

Thank you guy once again for all the good feedback.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Thank you guys for all the good help. Well to my surprise my wife signed me up for the course a couple of weeks back. She got me up and said "Dropping you off at the range" lol... from the exam I missed 1 question overthinking it, and from shooting I got 195.

All my groups were to the left. The range master said I'm moving the gun to the left before pulling the trigger. He told me all I have to move is my finger and that's it. I bought 1000 rounds of 9mm for 300 something. I plan on going to the range more plus getting more training.

Thank you guy once again for all the good feedback.
    Go for it. DryFire at home helps too

Top Bottom