• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I am thinking about picking up this ball and running with it. I would like to have at least one class per week and go over everything from the 10 commandants and safety procedures all the way up to eventually tactical shoot and move drills (if i can find a place that will let us use the land). I'm looking at handgun training, tactical rifle, long distance rifle, shooting from cover, CLASSROOM instruction on force on force, etc. anyone know of a place with land that will let use do the more advanced stuff let me know, but for the basic range time i was thinking about Lone Star. I would like to start something as soon as the 13th of Feb even. You know what i am going to start on the 13th of Feb. I would like for people to meet with me at my Apartment complex we can use the club house to meet up. This would just be a meet and greet so we can figure out who we will be training with, who has what experience and start a schedule and calender of training and shooting get togethers. anyone that is interested respond in this tread and lets get a headcount going.
    Military Camp

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'd be down for it. Feb 13th I have to work as F'in usual (damn I HATE this schedule), but I'd be glad to participate in some events like this. Even if it's as simple as practicing malfunction drills or other simple drills like that at the range, that's better than nothing and at least keeps us working so the skills don't diminish. Just let me know if you need help setting anything up James. Something like this was kind of my intent behind attempting to create this "training group", however several people pointed out to me the issues of insurance because of "instruction", liability, etc and enough discouraging things that I decided I really can't afford to risk it right now especially not while I'm trying to get my life back together financially.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I have been looking at the past post on this topic and some of the thing i saw there i agree with 100% I do intend on having events that are wounded shooter, first aid, etc. I am looking at to start basics of handgun, rifle, and shotgun and as we progress i will set up advanced classes and shooting meets. I am medically retired military and i whole heartedly believe in the crawl walk run method of firearm instruction and that is how i plan to structure the course. I'm sure we will have LEO and other military guys in this group and that will be great, they can share things they know and are strong in and i will most definitely need others to help in instruction during the practical parts ie the shooting section.

Disclaimer: I do not hold any civilian recognized marksmanship or firearms instructors licenses nor do i claim to. I am just a Vet that loves firearms and shooting proficiency and love to pass the skills and knowledge on to others as long as their bullets are flying the same direction as mine.

pwrincross

May 24, 2009
    Pflugerville,TX
    I would love to be involved. My problem is that I read every post for a couple of weeks straight and then due to work or family I miss a few weeks. I missed the time where the 13th was discussed as an initial meeting time. The Austin Rifle Club is holding IDPA shootings on some Saturdays. I was told one may be coming up on Feb 27th but I dont know. That makes for a great way to learn some skills.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    The 13th didnt happen because i didnt get enough interest in time. Im in Houston right now doing some training for a friends and looking for a house for my move back down in April. I should be back up in Austin this weekend or early next week and will be planning a get together then ill post it when i figure it out. I will give more warning for the next one. It will be a get together to figure out what people do and odnt know and to plan an agenda.

palirwin

Aug 22, 2010
    Cedar Park, Tx
    I am not going to offer any training, because I wouldn't know all that stuff anyway, but I am proposing a "Meet at the range day" for all the online gun nuts we can round up. Let me know if you would be interested in that.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I am not going to offer any training, because I wouldn't know all that stuff anyway, but I am proposing a "Meet at the range day" for all the online gun nuts we can round up. Let me know if you would be interested in that.
    Count me in... I recommend Lonestar in Lockhart. It's worth the drive. I think it'd be great if we could set up something regular. Like the third Sunday of every month or something like that.

Top Bottom