• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TZ_46

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Which vendors do you recommended for training a new handgun owner who lives in the north Dallas area?

I attended the "Introduction to Handguns" at The Academy a while back and it was terrible. VERY rushed and uninformative, including perhaps all 5 seconds of gun safety. I got practically nothing out of that class. The best thing to do is attend another one somewhere else.

Cost of the training does not matter at all. My preference is for a group session, but either group or individual training is fine. I would like to attend a session where the instructor can also tell me something about the onsite range or others in the DFW area so I can begin shooting there regularly. (The Academy instructor knew nothing about this subject!)

So far I am considering two vendors: Bullet Trap and Elm Fork. Which of these would you suggest? Also, if there are others I should consider, I would be glad to hear about them.

Thanks.

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Paul Gomez, taught an Intro. To Defensive Pistol 101 on Sat. in Bastrop.
    That would have been a great class for you. He has a lot of solo drills that you can do to keep your skills up.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Go online or Call DFW Gun Range. DFW Gun Range - Training Center and Retail Firearms Store - Dallas, TX or 214-630-4866

During the week they have a one-on-one intro to handgun course that is two hours. The instructor is Jeff Tuerman, who recently retired from the Dallas Sheriff's office as their academy firearms instructor. Jeff is VERY good, and I have seen his first timers out-shoot "experts" When they take the CHL class. Jeff covers all aspects including safety. I think the cost is $115?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    That's where I went. DFW Gun Range, aka "The Academy". My instructor wasn't Jeff Tuerman. The guy who taught the session wasn't very good. I am not going back there again. It was a complete waste of time and money.

The Academy Overview | DFW Gun Range

Please email the owner. They cannot correct problems when they are not aware of them. Or email me, and I will forward it. I know the owner personally.

TZ_46

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I don't want any involvement with internal disputes. It's none of my affair. DFW Gun Range threw away several thousand dollars in revenue from me with their shortsightedness. I will never go back there. If they want to use consultants as a cheap way to conduct training, then that's their way of doing business.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I don't want any involvement with internal disputes. It's none of my affair. DFW Gun Range threw away several thousand dollars in revenue from me with their shortsightedness. I will never go back there. If they want to use consultants as a cheap way to conduct training, then that's their way of doing business.

To what "internal dispute" are you referring? Consultants?

I was going to offer you my services, but I have changed my mind.

TZ_46

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Well this discussion sure took a wrong turn. I asked for training recommendations and instead the focus is on deficiencies at DFW GR!

I'm done with this thread. If you want to keep talking about DFW GR, then you go right ahead. I already made up my mind where to seek training next.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I think all TI was saying is that if you felt you didn't get the training you paid for, the normal route is to register a complaint (respectfully) with the owners/mangers of the establishment. Maybe nothing comes of it, but at least the seed is planted, and maybe they refund your money, or offer a redo with a different instructor.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Exactly! Texasinvestigator is or was trying to help. He might have even helped you get your money back and fix an actual problem. But It seems that that was a waste of time.

Top Bottom