APOD Firearms

Training someone who lives with a felon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Have a lady at work who wants some handgun training but she mentioned her husband is a convicted felon. She also mentioned she wants the handgun training to protect herself from her husband (warning bells going off in my head of course). What say you?

big_bad_kitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Denton, TX
    Because of my chosen profession, I am faced with this on a regular basis. I never hesitate to use the opportunity to educate and promote the training from the NRA and from the CHL viewpoints. God knows this lady need some help and guidance. We use some one on one training for their knowledge of ineligible persons to own or possess firearms and also the requirements that firearms to be secured and not accessible to ineligible persons. I probably go overboard with the emphasis on keeping firearms away from ineligible persons because this is the area I fear the most of coming back to haunt me later! I am also interested in others responses to this question because I think the question of liability to the instructor is increased in this area!

Great question DCAV!!!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    It is unlawful for a felon to posses a firearm. It is not unlawful to teach a felon's wife how to shoot.

Ethically, this situation woukd require further inquiry for me. Why is she wanting protection from her husband? Do they live together?

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    yes they do live together, i didnt dig too much more into it, figured I would query you all first. This section is definetly useful for this kind of stuff!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    yes they do live together, i didnt dig too much more into it, figured I would query you all first. This section is definetly useful for this kind of stuff!

Boy, I would hate to train her and then find out she murdered the guy, but at the same time, if she was DEFENDING herself..........

I don't know. Maybe talk to her more?

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Boy, I would hate to train her and then find out she murdered the guy, but at the same time, if she was DEFENDING herself..........

I don't know. Maybe talk to her more?
    My thoughts exactly. Apparently he is smacking her around. I did tell her how easy it is to take a gun away from an intrained person. Gonna think some more on this.

Top Bottom