• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amistad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2008
    San Antone
    Fellow gun enthusiasts, if I purchase a gun here in Texas and give it to a friend as a gift, what is then necessary to having the gun transferred to him? Thanks!

Amistad
    Gun Zone Deals

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    They covered this on THR, which isn't necessarily the best place for legal advice.

The posters finally decided that it was legal to purchase a gun and give it as a gift as long as: You receive NO consideration (money or whatever, straw purchase) for the gun AND the person would otherwise be LEGALLY able to purchase said gun themselves.

I bought my wife a pistol for Christmas one year.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    If you are gifting a friend in Texas, you wrap it in a box and give it to him/her. No gifts to out of state residents, please (it's not legal).

We don't have gun registration here. Once the initial purchaser fills out the 4473, a firearm is just another commodity (like a toaster) here. No paperwork legally required between individual sales (you just have to be reasonably sure the person is not a felon or otw unable to own a firearm), but some folks write out a bill of sale.

If you're worried your "friend" might go bank robbin' or sell the pistol on to a gangbanger, perhaps you should rethink your gift.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Fellow gun enthusiasts, if I purchase a gun here in Texas and give it to a friend as a gift, what is then necessary to having the gun transferred to him? Thanks!

Amistad

Freakin anti-gun super-regulatory attitude the hoplophobe system has created! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Wheew, ok, to the question. Give the gun one good cleaning, wrap it up real pretty, give to said friend. Viola.

As stated, no transfers across state lines. If your friend is a felon, don't give it to him. If he's going to do something crazy and illegal with it and you know it, don't give it to him.

Don't forget to sing him happy birthday of that is the gift giving occasion.

Bill of sale <-- a nice touch and I do that for FTF transfers

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Y'all gotta remember you're in Texas. You may not have lived here long which may explain some of these questions.

You have only 1 requirement when selling or giving a gun to someone. You need to reasonably sure they are not otherwise prohibited from buying or owning the gun. That's it.

Only dealers document anything, and that's only the 4473 for handguns (not sure what applies to long guns) which goes in their file and their file only. No registration.

Top Bottom