Transporting Firearms Through Canada

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Gutshot, Aug 15, 2009.

  1. Gutshot

    Gutshot Member

    Aug 10, 2009
    Justin, Texas
    I am planing a trip This September to Ketchikan Alaska and will be driving through Canada on the way there. Has anyone had any experiences good or bad doing this or similar to it. I download the forms necessary off the Canadian gov. web site but could not find anything on other web sites pertaining to personal encounters. Any info will be helpful. I plan on carrying a Rem 870 20 ga. shot gun and 00 buck and slugs as ammo. Of course I will not have it loaded when travelling through Canada.


  2. M. Sage

    M. Sage TGT Addict

    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm not sure, but Canada's firearms laws are getting more and more strict. To be safe, I'd probably just ship them to myself. You don't need an FFL to ship to yourself, even across state lines. Before you leave, just send them to yourself @ the address where you'll be (or somewhere where they won't get stolen/monkeyed with), making sure to address them to you.
  3. DCortez

    DCortez TGT Addict

    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

  4. TriggerTime

    TriggerTime Member

    Jun 28, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    The export of firearms from the U.S. is governed by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All firearms, firearms parts, and ammunition (except for some shotguns) require a license or license exception to take out of the U.S. even if on the way to Alaska via Canada -- the second they cross the border, that's an export. There is an exception in the ITAR for exports for firearms and ammo for personal use. You are limited to 3 weapons and 1000 rounds of ammo. The exception is set out at 22 Code of Federal Regulations 123.17. I would suggest that you check with U.S. Customs to verify what they need to know for the export. Also, check with Canadian Customs for the Canadian import and subsequent Canadian export when you enter Alaska. And then the process would be reversed on the way back home.

    Or, FedEx them to yourself in Alaska and let them take care of the paper work.

    Good luck.
  5. Army 1911

    Army 1911 Well-Known

    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    The candian authorities will confiscate your firearms at the border. A guy on the 1911 forum lost a new Wilson that way recently. Ship it to yourself in Alaska and ship it back.
  6. robocop10mm

    robocop10mm Active Member

    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Don't even think about trying to hide it from them. If you have Texas plates, they will assume you have guns and do a complete search of your vehicle.

    A friend of mine (veteran Cop) rode his Gold Wing into Canada. He left his handgun with the US border agents and crossed the border. The Canadians asked for his receipt from the US border guards. He told them he did not need one, he trusted them to give it back to him as they were "fellow cops". The Canucks tore everything out of his bike and trailer looking for the gun. I choose to not travel to such an unfriendly country.

    Hell, South Africa is far more friendly than that. You can get a 6 month conceled carry permit with nothing more than a US passport for about $35. They just want to make sure you leave with it at the end of your trip.
  7. thorkyl

    thorkyl Active Member

    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Ship it to yourself.

    I went to Alaska a few years back, I called the local PD where I was going told them I would like to ship myself a firearm since I was going via Canada and did they have any sugestions.

    They gave me the name of the local hunting outfitter, he charged me $5.00 to receive and store it till I got there or $30 and he would bring it to the hotel I was at. I paid the $30 so I did not have to go out without it.

    I love gun friendly States.

Share This Page