Transporting hunting guns on airlines?

Discussion in 'Texas Hunting & Fishing' started by boycan, Aug 14, 2009.

1. boycan

boycan Active Member

Mar 6, 2009
    North Dallas
    I plan to fly to Michigan the week before Thanksgiving and would like to take my shotgun and my 45 S&W, does anyone have any post 911 experience traveling with guns? I know they can't be carry on naturally.

1. Is it even cost effective anymore since I could use the brother-in-laws guns but would love to play with mine.

2. Would/do you insure them and if so I assume you do that thru the airlines?

3. I know you have to use an airline approved gun case and the ammo has to be seperate but haven't seen ammo cases boasting airline approved. Have I missed that?

Any first hand experiences and advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. fuelfather

fuelfather Well-Known

Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    go to the website of your preferred airline and look there. I know some people have posted that they shipped the ammo in the gun case with the firearm unloaded. But airline specifics will be on the airline or TSA specifics

3. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Don't worry about it, they deal with this all the time. I've not had any issue with it. It should be unloaded (obviously), you need a TSA lock, and the ammo must be seperate from the firearm. Call your airline & ask for any suggestions. It's reall not a big deal.

4. MuddyWaterMan

MuddyWaterMan Active Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Actually you don't NEED a TSA lock, but it IS better.

5. MuddyWaterMan

MuddyWaterMan Active Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Oh! The ammo only has to be seperate for certain airlines, others it can be in the same case. Just check with your airline.

6. Gutshot

Gutshot Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Justin, Texas
    Unloaded and in a secure lockable container. As said some airlines will let you carry in same container as gun. I carry my ammo separtly. When I carry a bolt action rifle, I place bolt in separate bag. If some aairline bag smasher was to try to steal it it would be worthless with out it. I worked for a major airline. Get a good case. I have seen them drive over cased rifles before. They just don't give a f***. They are in an union and the company will not go after them. Hey that is what insurance is for! I would self insure. It is hell to get them to pay and don't exspect them to pay full price on your Weatherby if you don't insure it. I haven't had any bad experiences while traveling with mine. A word of advice...don't try to carry through England with one. They are very anti-gun, hunting, and American overall and will deliberly try to destroy you gun.

Gutshot

7. kerryp

kerryp Active Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    Your best bet is to go to the TSA and Airline websites to research what is needed, below is an excerpt from TSA's web page about TSA locks:

"We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft. TSA locks are not approved for securing firearms "

Here is the link to the TSA page on transporting firearms (you still need to go to research the airline you are flying in addition to this):

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

8. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.

Nice catch! We never used a TSA lock (don't even have one), but thought they required them now.

9. boycan

boycan Active Member

Mar 6, 2009
    North Dallas
    Thanks everyone!

10. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    I fly all the time with them. Its really pretty painless. Both Continental and Southwest require the ammo in a different bag. As was said earlier, buy a good, lockable gun case. TSA locks are not required, I use 2 small, keyed alike, masterlocks on my Browning travel vault and they work fine. Pack them with the bolts out, but in the case, show them they are unloaded, sign the little tag, and you are done.