Travis County Commissioners Court to Vote on Tuesday on Future of Saxet Gun Shows

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I understand they are going to do what they going to do either way, but is it posted or is their a local ordinance that firearm sales are prohibited on the property.

What sucks is it will take someone or a few to actually test it out and be arrested in order for any of this to be stopped.

Well, Saxet didn't agree to this so we're talking in hypotheticals here. I was just trying to understand what an LEO would do about two private individuals legally selling a firearm. I can't see any scenario where they would be justified to take any action.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Living in Austin, this has been one of my greatest concerns for a number of years. I can see the soon to be elected new 10-member city council trying to ban hicaps or even more.

I think the 10-member council will be at least a marginal improvement. It certainly can't get any worse. At least we will have a fighting chance of electing maybe one or two council members who aren't stark raving central Austin radical leftist lunatics.

Interesting you bring up a ban on hicaps. That's exactly the type of thing I'd expect our city council to try, even though it's beyond clear that they don't have that authority. But neither did Biscoe, and if he gets away with this, watch out.

What's very frustrating to me is that last year, in the wake of Sandy Hook, the city council discussed banning gun shows in the city limits, and there wasn't even a gun show in the city at the time, and certainly no one was leasing or attempting to lease a city owned building (I believe Premier had already made the move to Cedar Park, and Saxet has always been in a county facility). It didn't stop Abbott from publicly threatening a "double barrel lawsuit" if they did that. But now that something is really at stake, he's been silent. I don't like it.

I will be contacting his campaign and will pass on anything I find out.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I did the same....and started following you! Lets turn up the heat!

sent from the duck blind!

Ill follow back. I am concerned to push the issue too much. It may be something he is unwilling/unable to touch right now due to the election. The upside of him tackling it may be getting a few more pro gun voters but the potential backlash and benefit for the dems is probably better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I am concerned to push the issue too much. It may be something he is unwilling/unable to touch right now due to the election.
    I've donated to his campaign and sincerely hope he's successful, but he's currently still the Attorney General. Saying he's too busy with the up coming election to focus on his current duties kinda reminds me of our campaigner in chief.

I think it was one of Perry's faults, too. Perry is obviously a huge gun enthusiast, but he was never really outspoken about 2A liberties because he was too concerned about looking good in the next election. I'm sick of the status quo; even from politicians I generally like.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    I've donated to his campaign and sincerely hope he's successful, but he's currently still the Attorney General. Saying he's too busy with the up coming election to focus on his current duties kinda reminds me of our campaigner in chief.

I think it was one of Perry's faults, too. Perry is obviously a huge gun enthusiast, but he was never really outspoken about 2A liberties because he was too concerned about looking good in the next election. I'm sick of the status quo; even from politicians I generally like.

This....you took the words from my mouth! We live in an age of "cookie cutter" politicians who are too busy trying to fit a mold to actually stand up and stick to their beliefs. I do not want to vote for someone "just because they fit" i want to vote for someone because they broke the mold and stood their ground.

I understand that a large group of the population just wants cookie cutter but if we are gonna get back to being a world power, we need politicians who are willing to make tough decisions because they are the right thing to do not just because they want votes.

sent from the duck blind!

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Is it possible that they didn't break any laws so he's not pandering by going after a political entity purely to satisfy a group of voters (us).

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis

I'm starting to get to that point. I'm often left apologizing for the GOP losing battles to win the war but then they give up the war too. We need some real fighters out there. Hopefully Patterson can be that guy if Abbott isn't or won't be.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I'm torn between TheDan's point and breakingcontact's point. I understand that in the grand scheme of things, it is far, far more important that Wendy Davis be kept from the Governor's Mansion than it is that Saxet has a show in Travis County. But I also see what Travis County just did as the proverbial camel's nose in the tent, and unless you slap it and slap it hard, the rest of that camel will be in your lap real soon.

And I'm also damned tired of "my" side getting the raw end of these kinds of things. I used the analogy on another board of a gay rights group being denied access to a public facility unless they agreed to prohibit two men from kissing. That kind of nonsense would never be allowed to stand - every liberal advocacy group in the country would have a lawsuit filed by the end of the day. This is no different. Where is the ACLU and all the other so-called Bill of Rights defenders when the 2nd Amendment and the civil rights of gun enthusiasts are being trampled on? Nowhere, because they only care about certain "rights" and even then only when it serves a higher leftist purpose.

Texas voters have gone to almost unprecedented lengths to entrench conservative Republicans in power statewide. I personally don't really expect them to do much besides keep the size of government reasonably in check, which for the most part they've done, but I do expect them to defend conservative values against creeping liberalism when they can. This is an area where I think Abbott can. I don't think it will hurt him in the upcoming election. Nobody is going to be shocked that he took a pro-2nd Amendment stand, and nobody whose main concern is to be able to kill babies after 20 weeks was going to vote for him anyway. I don't see the risk and besides, he can easily couch this as a civil rights/equal protection issue (which it is) if he thinks he needs to insulate himself from anti-gun hysteria.

Last edited:

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Is it possible that they didn't break any laws so he's not pandering by going after a political entity purely to satisfy a group of voters (us).

Well, when the City of Austin threatened to do something similar a year ago, Abbott warned them that if they did, they'd face a "double barrel lawsuit". What's changed between now and then other than Abbott is now officially running for governor?

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    Well, when the City of Austin threatened to do something similar a year ago, Abbott warned them that if they did, they'd face a "double barrel lawsuit". What's changed between now and then other than Abbott is now officially running for governor?

Abrogating/canceling a valid, existing contract versus setting an additional requirement for a completely new contract.

Which is not to say that the new requirement is legal. That is something that I, for one, don't know.

Last edited:

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    And I'm also damned tired of "my" side getting the raw end of these kinds of things. I used the analogy on another board of a gay rights group being denied access to a public facility unless they agreed to prohibit two men from kissing. That kind of nonsense would never be allowed to stand - every liberal advocacy group in the country would have a lawsuit filed by the end of the day. This is no different. Where is the ACLU and all the other so-called Bill of Rights defenders when the 2nd Amendment and the civil rights of gun enthusiasts are being trampled on? Nowhere, because they only care about certain "rights" and even then only when it serves a higher leftist purpose.

I don't know if that is completely true. I know that the ACLU isn't generally in the practice of searching things like this out first of all. Yes, when something is in the news or whatever they will appear, but if we want action or attention we are going to have to somehow bring it about ourselves. I know the news has somewhat picked this up, but at the moment this is a battle of "gun owners" vs "local government". We would need for people to understand Dash's point which is this is as much a civil rights matter as any other "civil rights" infringement. Freedom is not a one way street, on any matter, and restricting one freedom restricts all freedom, therefore this is not a battle just for "gun owner rights", but for everyones basic right to choose what to spend their money on.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Yeah, it's possible that they haven't done anything to violate the law, but the law might not necesarily be just. A suit needs to be raised so that this can be worked out in court.

We need some real fighters out there. Hopefully Patterson can be that guy...
    I'm pretty sure Patterson is that guy.

Top Bottom