• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Good for Saxet.....they are always welcome up here in Wilco, granted we don't have too many places for them but I would love to see TWO different gun shows at CPC.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    need some place with free parking. the show door fee is one thing but then having to pay for parking on that is just twisting the knife. roumours were floating around that SAXET was going to stop doing austin shows even before this fiasco, but who knows because SAXET continued to show Austin dates on their home page right up to the end.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    How is that NOT a violation of Texas Local Government Code §229.001 on Preemption, which states a municipality may NOT adopt regulations relating to the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, ammunition, or firearm supplies?!?

I hope someone is suing...

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    How is that NOT a violation of Texas Local Government Code §229.001 on Preemption, which states a municipality may NOT adopt regulations relating to the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, ammunition, or firearm supplies?!?

I hope someone is suing...

Well, since there's no regulation regarding prohibition on transfer at a county level, I'd say that's pretty much not a violation.

The issue at hand is a civil contract matter. The county offered a contract with terms the promoter didn't agree too, so the promoter refused the contract. Same could be said for noise, safety regulations (ambulances on standby) at BMX/Motocross events, etc. They're contract terms.

If Travis County came out with a County Ordinance prohibiting transfers in-county without a background check (anywhere in county, even in your residence), that'd be a different matter - there'd be a regulation and violation.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Is a board not voting a regulation? I mean yes there lack of action causes a de facto regulation.

Except when it doesn't.

The larger issue that people seem to be ignoring is the continued improper 30.06 posting on a government facility. THAT should get struck down first.

Also remember that the current Place 3 Commissioner is appointed to fill a vacant term, not elected by the public. Even so, it was only one person with a motion and no second. Not even the balls to vote it down, the lot of them.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Well, since there's no regulation regarding prohibition on transfer at a county level, I'd say that's pretty much not a violation.

The issue at hand is a civil contract matter. The county offered a contract with terms the promoter didn't agree too, so the promoter refused the contract. Same could be said for noise, safety regulations (ambulances on standby) at BMX/Motocross events, etc. They're contract terms.

If Travis County came out with a County Ordinance prohibiting transfers in-county without a background check (anywhere in county, even in your residence), that'd be a different matter - there'd be a regulation and violation.

A government entity does not get to pick and choose which groups it allows to use publicly owned facilities. They can set terms only to the extent the law allows that particular governmental unit authority over those terms. Counties/cities have the autority to dictate noise levels and safety requirements at events. They expressly do not have the authority to require background checks on private sales of firearms between Texas residents. And they most certainly do not have the authority to arbitrarily make up restrictions designed to exclude groups that they do not favor politically.

To expand on an example I raised in the other thread, what if someone wanting to rent a county park for a Gay Pride Festival was denied? You think hell wouldn't be raised? What if instead of being "denied", the commissioners said "well, we'll approve your application but you have to agree not to allow men to kiss each other during the festival, since that would be offensive to this group over here". The ACLU would be in the courtroom by the end of the day, if not the hour.

This is a civil rights issue, not a gun issue. Those who say "come to Williamson County" or "well, at least there's a show in San Antonio" miss the point. It's rank discrimination that no government official would ever dare pull against a liberal sacred cow.

Last edited:

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Except when it doesn't.

The larger issue that people seem to be ignoring is the continued improper 30.06 posting on a government facility. THAT should get struck down first.

I agree that that is an issue, but not that it's a larger issue. And it's separate from this.

Top Bottom