Trigger question

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Badcast, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Badcast

Badcast New Member

Feb 25, 2009
    St. Clair MO.
    What carry size guns come from the factory that dont require a trigger job. Is there any in the $600-800 range.

Thanks
    Randy

2. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    There are tons of guns that don't require a trigger job. The only firearm I have ever gotten a trigger job done on was an XD-9, and while it helped, it still wasn't what I was looking for.

After my first 1911, I've never looked back. In that price range you can pick up a decent Kimber, Springfield Armory or Colt 1911 and possibly still have some left over for a nice holster.

Anything in particular you are looking for in a carry gun?

P.S. If you trust Massad Ayoob, whom I don't necessarily agree with on this one, he has made it widely known that he does not recommend trigger jobs on carry pieces. He feels it might give a DA or prosecutor additional ammo, so to speak. He thinks anything other than factory could give the impression to a jury that you were looking for a 'better killing machine'. I don't agree necessarily agree with him, and I don't think it is an issue in Texas, but just figured I would throw it out there as some added info.

3. Badcast

Badcast New Member

Feb 25, 2009
    St. Clair MO.
    I looking for a 9mm, somthing my wife can shoot also. I have med. size hands so hi cap is out. I'm kind of overwhelmed from all the info I've read and don't want to get something I'll be trading in a month. Most of my shooting will be behind my house. This will be my primary carry. I had know idea a trigger job would give a DA a little ammo.

Randy

4. Army 1911

Army 1911 Well-Known

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    STI Trojan in 9mm should do ya. But not a $600. you do get what you pay for.

5. Vellcrow

Vellcrow Active Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    A Kahr K9 would suit you well.

6. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Pretty much any stock da/sa Sig has a real nice single action trigger pull. Usually their DA pulls are on the heavy side. Most Sig's sa pulls are usually only 4.5lbs, are smooth, and break very cleanly. For something more carry-sized, from Sig there is the P228, P229, P239, P230/232, P245/220 Compact, P220 Carry (a bit on the larger size), and Sig Pro series.

The H&K P7 is quite possibly the world's greatest carry gun, ever. Though, due to their unique manual of arms, it is sort of a love it or hate it thing. If you like them and can deal with the squeeze cocking design, they have a very nice trigger, minimal muzzle flip due to the low bore axis, and are very accurate, plus they are the safest handgun ever made.

7. Jimlakeside

Jimlakeside New Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Pottsboro, Texas
    In my personal opinion, while trigger pull is important, it should not the deciding factor in which gun to buy. First should be reliability, then how the gun fits your hand, and then trigger pull. Most triggers can be adjusted or with practice you can get use to them. That said shoot as many guns as you can and then decide.

8. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Do such modifications come up in trial very often?

9. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    I am unaware of it ever coming up in trial. On defensivecarry.com, Massad occasionally posts, and we have asked for examples of cases, but we never got them. He does have case evidence of DA's calling Hollow Point bullets 'specially designed to kill', so who knows what a DA will say.

I guess it doesn't really matter what the truth is, or even if a defense attorney objects. It pretty much comes down to what the jury thinks, and I could see his point that a lightened trigger could look bad. Especially, if in the aftermath of the shooting you accidentally mutter, 'I didn't want to shoot him'.

While I would never want to shoot somebody, I could see how a modified trigger and that statement could turn a justified shoot into negligent homicide.

I'm not exactly superstitious, but the only mods I have made to any of my carry pieces are night sights and changing the grips.

FWIW, I believe he also objects to laser grips. He knows a lot more than I do, but he is also speaking nationally. I don't think we have the same problems here in Texas that somebody in say, New York, would have.

If you haven't had the chance, read some of his books or his articles. While I don't always agree with everything he says, he knows what he's talking about, and a lot can be learned from him.

10. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    ;)