Trimming Tree Limbs

cowboy45

May 1, 2008
mexia texas
I saw a video the other day of a guy using his HD shotgun with dove loads to trim tree limbs around his deer stand. These were fairly small libs 2-3 inch dia. Looked like they were 10-12 ft off the ground. Anyone ever seen or tried it? I have the area to do it safely and and a large pile of cheap shells. Might just try it. Thoughts?

Reverendbiker

Nov 14, 2008
Central Texas
That falls under the category of "why didn't I think of that?" Having spent way too much time hacking at cedars with a bow saw I can appreciate this new automated method! Just load up and trim

cowboy45

May 1, 2008
mexia texas
I can find the link. I found a couple on youtube that had a bunch of rednecks (of which I am proudly a member) in them. This one I watched was almost professionally done. The guy had eye protection, ear muffs and was very careful of the downrange direction he was pointing towards. We are getting rain this a.m. so I may have to wait till this p.m. I guess I need to let the two widow ladies on either side of me what I am doing so they wont think I'm any crazier than normal. HAHAHA! One of them even offered to buy me more .22 when the grackles were migrating. She didnt like them pooping all over her shrubs,roses, car etc.
So I'll let you know how it goes when I get to trimming.

UPDATE: Found it on you tube, Tree Trimming 101. originally found it thehighroad.com.

thorkyl

Oct 13, 2008
Brazoria County
I have done it, its not the shot that trims the tree its the wad.

I did find you have be close, within 6 foot, for it to work.

A waster of ammo in todays prices and availability.

cowboy45

May 1, 2008
mexia texas
Just got through with a box of 71/2s and 5 mins and a tender shoulder and have enough limbs for an hour with a chain saw in the morning. Cut them better than a saw and no ladder needed.
What a blast(no pun), some took two rounds to go down but I got in some nice trigger time in a few minutes.
If you have the place, and safely able to do it, I highly recomend it.
I may start a new business. COWBOY45 tree trimming. No limb is safe from me.

Primary

TexasGunTalk Assistant
Here are some related products that TexasGunTalk members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TexasGunTalk’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TexasGunTalk discussions about these products.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads