• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I saw a video the other day of a guy using his HD shotgun with dove loads to trim tree limbs around his deer stand. These were fairly small libs 2-3 inch dia. Looked like they were 10-12 ft off the ground. Anyone ever seen or tried it? I have the area to do it safely and and a large pile of cheap shells. Might just try it. Thoughts?
    Texas SOT

Reverendbiker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    That falls under the category of "why didn't I think of that?" Having spent way too much time hacking at cedars with a bow saw I can appreciate this new automated method! Just load up and trim

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I can find the link. I found a couple on youtube that had a bunch of rednecks (of which I am proudly a member) in them. This one I watched was almost professionally done. The guy had eye protection, ear muffs and was very careful of the downrange direction he was pointing towards. We are getting rain this a.m. so I may have to wait till this p.m. I guess I need to let the two widow ladies on either side of me what I am doing so they wont think I'm any crazier than normal. HAHAHA! One of them even offered to buy me more .22 when the grackles were migrating. She didnt like them pooping all over her shrubs,roses, car etc.
    So I'll let you know how it goes when I get to trimming.

UPDATE: Found it on you tube, Tree Trimming 101. originally found it thehighroad.com.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    I have done it, its not the shot that trims the tree its the wad.

I did find you have be close, within 6 foot, for it to work.

A waster of ammo in todays prices and availability.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    Just got through with a box of 71/2s and 5 mins and a tender shoulder and have enough limbs for an hour with a chain saw in the morning. Cut them better than a saw and no ladder needed.
    What a blast(no pun), some took two rounds to go down but I got in some nice trigger time in a few minutes.
    If you have the place, and safely able to do it, I highly recomend it.
    I may start a new business. COWBOY45 tree trimming. No limb is safe from me.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    In a point blank shot the wad will contain the shot, thus in effect your shooting a loose package of shot. Almost like a slug.
    The wad has a basic function of keeping the powder in place. It does not contain the shot. The choke and distance from the barrel have everything to do with the pattern.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    The wad goes with the shot

If you point blank (6 foot) a 4 inch limb you will find the wad embedded in the limb and a bunch of shot damage.

I think that the wad does as much damage as the shot only its bigger than the shot.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    The wad goes with the shot

If you point blank (6 foot) a 4 inch limb you will find the wad embedded in the limb and a bunch of shot damage.

I think that the wad does as much damage as the shot only its bigger than the shot.

I've shot 12 gauge wads, no shot, at sheetrock from a distance of less than 6 feet. By the results, I have to disagree with your thinking. I think that if a wad did get embedded in the limb, that is more a product of the shot opening a hole for the wad, rather than the energy of the wad causing it to embed. I have shot many limbs, although most of them were hardwoods, and anytime the wad remained in the wood, it was much shallower into the wood than the shot.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I am quite sure it would, but you are going to have to find one hell of a pedicurist to finish that project up. If you have a toenail problem like that, I would recommend a chainsaw.

id have to recomend a dremel kit!

rgriffin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Dallas
    We used to use our HD shotguns when we would get bored cutting mesquite trees. Breaks up the monotony and a heck of a lot more fun than using a machete

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Guys, just think about Oak Wilt before you go blasting limbs on an oak tree with your freaking shotguns

There actually is a reason they sell the pruning paint.

Top Bottom