• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheTexasTom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Lost the tripod I had for the past 30 years. Any recommendations for a good value on a sturdy full size tripod to use for a spotting scope?
    Guns International

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Stands are best used by competitors who need both low and high scope placement. OP specified a tripod so I assumed he didn't need to replace a stand.

If that's incorrect, I hope the OP will clarify.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    B&H is a place I can give the highest recommendation. If they have what the OP needs, they're one of the 2 or 3 places I'd suggest to get it.

For a bench-top mount of a scope with an angled eyepiece, Really Right Stuff has had some wonderful items, though they seem to have discontinued the particular desktop mount I'd buy.

For a stand-behind-it tripod set up, I generally prefer 2-section legs. They tend to be sturdier though often too short. That's not as true as it once was but I don't care; I'm so old I still like wooden tripods.

I'm not going to make specific recommendations; tripod and head selection is way too personal a task to take advice from anyone. I firmly believe that people need hands-on experience to make a satisfactory choice.

TheTexasTom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    For use off a bench or standing up? Straight eyepiece or angled?

I would like like to find a standing up tripod. Have a decent table top tripod. Spotting scope is angled, so don't need a tripod over 60 inches. Really just looking for something to mount the spotting scope, and new to using one so open to experienced suggestions.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

dubbleA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Another vote for a Manfrotto. Add a pistol grip ball head and you're in business.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Really just looking for something to mount the spotting scope...

Add a pistol grip ball head...
    Good ball heads are expensive. If the only job of the tripod is to hold a spotting scope, the OP doesn't even need a 3-way head. A 2-way will work fine and be sturdier and of higher quality for less money.

2-way heads are a bit hard to find these days but for this application it would be worth the effort to look.

Top Bottom