• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I'm looking to buy several mags ... so ... Tripp or Wilson mags ftw? (For The Win for you non-gaming noobs).

I have several Wilson Combat mags, the $30-$35 variety, think they are okay but not great. Am I missing something?

Did a search, blah blah blah ....
    Hurley's Gold

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I have no experience with Tripp mags, but have heard nothing but good things about them. I have plenty of experience with Wilson 47D magazines, and have nothing but good things to say about them.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I think Wilson, while good mags, better than the average, are over rated. I think the Wilson name carries them. That said, they seem to stand behind the mags and fix or replace them easily.

Tripp however, seems to be the 1 mag that people use without question for duty, when they have to count on a mag.

I think the key is Virgil's follower and springs. I've got several Tripp kits in other mag tubes they they work flawlessly. Wilson's follower is similar but with all plastic and no metal to lock. Wilson's springs are know to sometimes be weak, even out of the package. They replace them, but shouldn't have to.

To go a step further, I know a few people, including a certain high end, very experienced custom builder that swear by CMC Power Mags with Tripp kits. It's felt that the CMC tubes and Tripp innerds are bullet-proof and will last forever.

BTW, Tripp is also incredible when it comes to help with his mags. Just call.

That said, I don't have any Wilson mags and don't think I ever will. Tripp and Tripp kits in other tubes have been 100% reliable for me.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    If Kimber puts their name on it, it should be worthy, and they are not. Kind of like putting an 8-track in a new corvette.

Anyway ... I'll try a few tripps and report back. The Wilsons seemed okay, but I didn't hear the cat's meow.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I hate to run off track here, but isn't that line of thinking a bit counter to your defense of crappy mags supplied by Kimber?

Not at all.

Kimber makes, markets and sells 1911's and tosses a magazine in with. Most of the time the mag. works fine. Like tires on new cars. I usually buy new/good tires as soon as I take delivery. OEM tires aren't the same as what you buy on the street; sometimes they're fine, sometimes their crap.

Wilson on the other hand, makes, markets and sells magazines they claim to be superior to everything else as well as contain parts (follower) designed and made by them for their mags. You should not buy a premium magazine for $30+ and have to have them replace it or send a new spring for it before it works. It's not a complex piece of equipment. But it happens a lot. You don't hear that about Tripp, or even CMC.

BTW, the CMC Powermags come with the split followers which work fine for most people. I don't care for them, and with some, the follower to tilt forward which in some alum. frame guns makes a mess of the frame.

It's not cheap to buy a Powermags ($25 - $28 or so I think) then the Tripp kit ($9 each) but people swear by them. A guy on another board just sold off some her built up from new parts, then had the tubes finished in (can't recall) so he had about $45 in each mag, but they never failed. For duty maybe, but that's a little overboard I think.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I just tried to order some Tripp mags. The check out is either bugged or there is no longer a quantity discount. "Contact Us" portion of the site, formmail.com, times out immediately.

Oh well....

EDIT: almost bought Kimber tac-mags but couldn't bring myself to click through ... I'll call Tripp tomorrow ... LOL

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I just tried to order some Tripp mags. The check out is either bugged or there is no longer a quantity discount. "Contact Us" portion of the site, formmail.com, times out immediately.

Oh well....

EDIT: almost bought Kimber tac-mags but couldn't bring myself to click through ... I'll call Tripp tomorrow ... LOL

Ya I'd try again later or call. It's a pretty basic plain-Jane site but has always worked fine for me.

And I like buying from fellow Texan's.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Okie doke, just unpacked my new mags, filled em with lead, and have to say ... Me Likey! They have a nice quality feel to them. Will post "after the range" thoughts later.

Now ... do I take the old Kimber mags to the scrap yard, donate em to a poor window washer under the freeway, or sell em???

longtooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Lufkin, Texas
    I have always given mine to some new shooter for range mags to save their good ones. Load about 6 & most of them will run pretty good.
    Give practice at mal function drills on occasion too.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I'll be under the 290/1960 overpass this weekend, make the u-turn slowly and toss them to me.

I just ordered a few Tripp mags in Govt and Officers sizes to give them a whirl.

Pete, next time be sure & park the Hummer a little further away....

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Okie doke, just unpacked my new mags, filled em with lead, and have to say ... Me Likey! They have a nice quality feel to them. Will post "after the range" thoughts later.

Now ... do I take the old Kimber mags to the scrap yard, donate em to a poor window washer under the freeway, or sell em???

Put Tripp Super 7 kits in them.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    I have no experience with the Tripp mags, although I would like to try some. The Kimber factory mags are crap, no doubt about it. Their pro mags are better, but I am a fan of Wilson. I love the followers and the springs have never been weak in the ones I own.

Top Bottom