Lynx Defense

Tropical Distrurbance? New to Houston, what does that mean?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikebandw186

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2014
    Hey Guys. As a new resident to Houston, I was somewhat surprised by the flooding a few weeks ago.

Having paid better attention to the news lately, I was wondering if there was anything I need to do to prepare for this coming "tropical disturbance". I live in an apartment, and didn't see much flooding here. But some of the other residents have talked about losing electricity and water (possibly). Does that happen all that often here?

Living in Colorado, I know how to get ready for a blizzard, heavy wet snow, and other winter weather related incidents. But heavy rain and wind is completely new to me.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
    Texas SOT

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Google up Tropical Storm Allison for some history of what a storm can do.

Prep is basically getting supplies you'll need to live for a couple of days to a week+.
    Cash(in small bills) enough for your needs for a month.
    Meds - keep extra medications on hand. Tell your Doctor to write you extra 'scripts for hurricane prep reasons.
    Food, water, don't forget the pets. Food for a few days. LOTS of bottled water. It'll be summer and hot.
    Light - lanterns, flashlights,etc.
    Generator - fuel
    Vehicle - if the storm is really bad the power will be out, possibly for many days. No way to pump gas. Fill vehicle, keep it filled, Have extra gas cans. Make sure the vehicle is in good repair and capable of long travel. Google up highway traffic jams during the evacuation for Hurricane Rita to understand the need for having extra fuel on hand.
    Firearms - always good idea to have something around. Looters WILL be around.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Doesn't look like this will be a hurricane, but much of the following, which is applicable to Harris Co, applies to tropical storms as well.

http://www.hcoem.org/Documents/HurricanePreparednessChecklist.pdf

Basically what we will see with this storm, it if does as advertised, is more high water, possibly worse than two weeks back due to the saturation of the ground and rivers and creeks feeding already saturated flood plains.

Take the above checklist to heart, but most important thing is do not drive into any high water, regardless of time of day, but particularly in the darkness.

And a pitcher, or five, of Margaritas is always advised ...

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Like I tell new to Houston residents when the power fails after a storm & it's unbearably hot & humid and your sleeping naked with the doors & windows open you need more the Deep Woods Off for protection.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Like I tell new to Houston residents when the power fails after a storm & it's unbearably hot & humid and your sleeping naked with the doors & windows open you need more the Deep Woods Off for protection.

That's where my generator & portable AC unit comes in handy.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    all of the above. it's a good idea to get your preps done by June 1st, the start of Hurricane Season. I keep 20 gallons of stabilized fuel along with the vehicles being topped off. extra bag of dog food for the canines. 10 gallons of drinking water. bathtubs full when it looks like things look like they are gonna get bumpy. also have lots of batteries and a battery powered fan.

ray22

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Jewett
    It's a weak tropical depression, it will blow through in less than 24 hrs. Houston might get 4-6 rain. Having supplies handy is a smart thing but don't sweat this one to much.

Govern wisely and as little as possible~Sam Houston

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    You'll want water for flushing. I keep a 55gal drum for that. Bathtub works too.
    Yeah, the guest bathroom's tub gets a shower curtain lining (because the drain leaks), and then gets filled up with water for flushing and hygiene purposes. I've got several 5gal Scepter cans to keep potable water for drinking purposes.

Stock up on easy things like SPAM® or other favored canned goods. If you've already done your homework, you've got some MREs stashed back for emergency rations, right?

Others have touched on fuel and cash. I just finished loading up a mess of MP5 mags, VP9 mags, and USP45 mags. IRready.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    It's a weak tropical depression, it will blow through in less than 24 hrs. Houston might get 4-6 rain. Having supplies handy is a smart thing but don't sweat this one to much.

/this\ But I love loading mags, so what can I say? ;)

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Google up Tropical Storm Allison for some history of what a storm can do.

Prep is basically getting supplies you'll need to live for a couple of days to a week+.
    Cash(in small bills) enough for your needs for a month.
    Meds - keep extra medications on hand. Tell your Doctor to write you extra 'scripts for hurricane prep reasons.
    Food, water, don't forget the pets. Food for a few days. LOTS of bottled water. It'll be summer and hot.
    Light - lanterns, flashlights,etc.
    Generator - fuel
    Vehicle - if the storm is really bad the power will be out, possibly for many days. No way to pump gas. Fill vehicle, keep it filled, Have extra gas cans. Make sure the vehicle is in good repair and capable of long travel. Google up highway traffic jams during the evacuation for Hurricane Rita to understand the need for having extra fuel on hand.
    Firearms - always good idea to have something around. Looters WILL be around.

Allison was a wimp.

For rainfall, google "Tropical Storm Claudette".

For a real hurricane, search for "Hurricane Carla". Carla was the last strong hurricane to hit the Houston area.

If a hurricane is on the way, get out. And leave early.

Good advice above.

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013

But the ground is already heavily saturated. Places will likely flood that normally wouldn't due to a saturated ground and ponds and lakes at or near capacity. There isn't much capacity left to absorb the rainfall so small amounts could still have the possibility to cause devastating floods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Carla was bad. Alicia was bad in certain areas.
    Claudette dropped a lot of rain but it was so long ago the entire area has gone under concrete since then. Allison showed how bad flooding can get.
    Ike was devastating due to the storm surge.
    Each storm is unique.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Allison was a wimp.

For rainfall, google "Tropical Storm Claudette".

For a real hurricane, search for "Hurricane Carla". Carla was the last strong hurricane to hit the Houston area.

If a hurricane is on the way, get out. And leave early.

Good advice above.
    Allison: $5.5B in damages, 70K+ flooded and 2700 destroyed homes, and the 55 who died would disagree with your assessment.

With the exception of get out for a hurricane, your post is based on feelings, not facts. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom