DK Firearms

Tropical Distrurbance? New to Houston, what does that mean?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fast Frank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Houston (Woodlands)
    Yeah, that's all you could wish for with no power. Think I'm gonna get it.
    I have a small unit like this-

Sears.com

The trick is to think about how much power you have available from your Gen. A larger AC unit might use enough power to limit how much else the generator can do at one time.

I have a 3K Honda inverter gen, and it's able to run my refrigerator, and this window unit, and a couple lights around the house on extension cords. It burns six gallons of gas a day doing that.

It can also run the microwave, but I have to power down the AC for that. Not enough power to do both at the same time.

That little AC unit does a fine job of making one room livable. As long as there's no kids (They absolutely cannot leave a door closed) it's a comfortable place to hang out and wait for normalcy to return.

With a running refrigerator, a microwave to use, and a cool room with a bed in it, it's not so bad.

We did two weeks after Ike without power, and I survived without killing anybody. Good enough for me!

Last edited:

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    I have a small unit like this-

Sears.com

The trick is to think about how much power you have available from your Gen. A larger AC unit might use enough power to limit how much else the generator can do at one time.

I have a 3K Honda inverter gen, and it's able to run my refrigerator, and this window unit, and a couple lights around the house on extension cords. It burns six gallons of gas a day doing that.

It can also run the microwave, but I have to power down the AC for that. Not enough power to do both at the same time.

That little AC unit does a fine job of making one room livable. As long as there's no kids (They absolutely cannot leave a door closed) it's a comfortable place to hang out and wait for normalcy to return.

With a running refrigerator, a microwave to use, and a cool room with a bed in it, it's not so bad.

We did two weeks after Ike without power, and I survived without killing anybody. Good enough for me!

Thanks, good info.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    I lived in ALvin in 1979 when Claudette hit. We had 40 inches of rain at the house, it was something. I was a letter carrier then and my whole route flooded nearly every home was under water, not just water in them, but water over the roof peaks. Never want to see anything like that again.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Thus far reminds me of being on the clean side of Rita.
    Gas prices rose .10/gal in the last two days.
    Not enough rain so far to trip the lawn sprinkler auto shut off.
    Government and media doesn't react when it needs to.
    And overreacts when it doesn't ...

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Like I tell new to Houston residents when the power fails after a storm & it's unbearably hot & humid and your sleeping naked with the doors & windows open you need more the Deep Woods Off for protection.

We were out of power for thirteen days after Ike. Luckily, the weather was very pleasant so windows open was adequate. But we learned our lesson and got a diesel generator installed. They're much more efficient and quieter than an idling F550 pickemup truck with a PTO generator in the backyard. :D

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    IMG_4309.JPG

Top Bottom