• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I have a rimfire revolver that has been misfiring (as in failing to fire) on some rounds. My first guess as to why this might have been happening was dirty chambers in which the rounds were maybe not seating fully and thus when struck by the firing pin were pushed forward a tiny bit instead of being dented by the firing pin. So, I cleaned the chambers thoroughly with Gunzilla, and then cleaned them again, For the second cleaning, I used copper solvent. Then I cleaned them a third time, Gunzilla again and also used a regular wire ore brush & also a tornado brush, to make sure they were clean as a whistle. The problem persisted.

After that I thought maybe the firing pin was chipped, gave it a good look and it looks fine. Then I figured it may be the main spring was starting to give out so I changed that with an OEM heavy duty main spring. The problem remained.

Then I took a good look at the transfer bar, thinking maybe it was getting stuck from gunk but it was clean and moving freely. I examined the star extractor as well, thinking maybe it was somehow bent and not seating properly but it too looks good. I am leaning toward thinking maybe it is the firing pin even though it looked okay and am thinking of trying to change it but before I do something as complicated as that, I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone has had a similar problem and what you did to correct it.

As far as I am aware, it happens on random cylinders - not always the same ones although I need to double check that next time I bring it to the range. The rounds that have failed to fire do get it by the firing pin but only have shallow dents.

Any help, from someone who has experience solving a similar problem, would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Venture Surplus ad

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 7, 2015
    Have the springs been changed or the tension screw backed out. I swapped springs in my 617 to lighten the pull and I experienced similar issues.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 7, 2015
    Also if the tension screw is screwed in , make sure it's the proper length and not filed down or replaced with a shorter one

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 7, 2015
    My bad I glossed over your spring comment. Is it the same in double and single action?

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Sep 5, 2019
    Have the springs been changed or the tension screw backed out. I swapped springs in my 617 to lighten the pull and I experienced similar issues.

Not a S&W. No such part on the Pathfinder as far as I am aware, then again when I looked up "tension spring" on a S&W 617 parts diagram, I could not find a part by that name. Did you mean the strain screw

As for changed springs, as far as I am aware, only the main spring has been changed but - I replaced the original with a new OEM heavy duty main spring to try to correct the problem but to no avail. That by the way is a coil spring.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I would mark the misfiring cylinders. My buddies dad has an old HR double action that does that but always on the same few cylinders. I pretty sure it has imperfect concentricity about the cylinder pin. Hits several hard and a gap opens up on the others. I'd measure the cylinder gap wherever you consistently can on the hammer side as you rotate the cylinder.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    If your revolver has a frame mounted firing pin carefully disassemble the pin from the frame. Thoroughly clean the parts. Check the thru hole for any crud or burrs that might impede pin travel. There may be extra length pins available. Yours could he peened down just enough to cause short stroking.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    If your revolver has a frame mounted firing pin carefully disassemble the pin from the frame. Thoroughly clean the parts. Check the thru hole for any crud or burrs that might impede pin travel. There may be extra length pins available. Yours could he peened down just enough to cause short stroking.
    Wondering if it would help to see a few FTF cases, as well as some fired ones? Wondering if there's a visible difference in the primer strikes?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Clean the firing pin channel and replace the firing pin if that doesn't work. It could be bent just enough to drag or be worn down a little.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 7, 2015
    Not a S&W. No such part on the Pathfinder as far as I am aware, then again when I looked up "tension spring" on a S&W 617 parts diagram, I could not find a part by that name. Did you mean the strain screw

As for changed springs, as far as I am aware, only the main spring has been changed but - I replaced the original with a new OEM heavy duty main spring to try to correct the problem but to no avail. That by the way is a coil spring.
    Strain screw. Yup that's it. I had a brain fart trying to remember what it's called.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Rimfire ammo needs quite a whack from the hammer on a revolver. It sounds like you've already covered most of the things that need checking. I'd give Charter Arms a call and they will fix it for you. They have excellent customer service.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Sep 5, 2019
    Rimfire ammo needs quite a whack from the hammer on a revolver. It sounds like you've already covered most of the things that need checking. I'd give Charter Arms a call and they will fix it for you. They have excellent customer service.
    I will try them but since this was not made by the current company, I have little hope they will fix it or tell me how to fix it.

Top Bottom