• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    I moved from Round Rock to San Antonio. The cops here (at least the ones I have dealt with) are lazy. I had my aircraft gps stolen from my motor vehicle. I filled a report and was given a case #. I found the gps on craigslist a month later. Contacted the PD and they said to call back on Monday since they don't handle property crime cases on the weekend. Knowing full well it would be gone by then, I scheduled a meet up at HEB to buy the gps. The odds looked good so I confronted the three crooks and reclaimed my gps. I gave the cops everything that night. License plates on two vehicles, names of all three plus physical descriptions, and even their cell numbers. These guys were pros, one stalked/interviewed me for 30 minutes before calling in the other two which then brought the gps. They had numerous ads on CL with other property like ipods and cell phones. The cops could of taken out or at least looked at a crime ring in my neighborhood. Want to know what happened? NOTHING! Sorry to hijack your story but my point is nobody is going to look out for your stuff but you. Put it away or do a better job protecting it. I got lucky and got my stuff back.
    Guns International

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    That lakadaisical attitude by the SA cops is sad but in the future do not leave anything of any value in sight in your motor vehicles whether parked in your own driveway or elsewhere. We always remove the GPS from sight before exiting the vehicle. Back as early as 1937 I remember in El Paso that leaving anything in a car even if locked ended in a broken window and the theft of whatever, even a shirt or jacket on a hanger...

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Man, sorry to hear of your misfortune. About three months ago we were getting just plain torn up with BMV's (Burglary of a Motor Vehicle). We finally developed information and put away two (2) crews that were giving us so much grief. We went for about six (6) weeks and they started to slowly creep up again.

I can certainly relate to the hassle of replacement and the sense of violation you must feel. BMV's have really increased since the legislature decided to make it a Class A Misdemeanor. I understand their rational to some degree but now we have career punk's breaking into five, six, seven cars a night and they know as far as court goes, it is no big deal. We will continue to have this situation until we find a way to truly make them pay for the cost and trouble they cause.

It probably will not happen but I can wish.

Thanks... What area was that happening in? I ask because they hit all three of my vehicles in Nov, as well as 20 or 25 other cars that night in our area. They caught them a week or so later.. So does it matter the dollar amount of damage that is done? I can imagine based on the damage to our 3 it had to be up wards of $60 to $70 K total for all involved... Our system blows goats, plain and simple.. I know my frustration, and can only imagine yours and the others that have to deal with this day in and day out..

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I moved from Round Rock to San Antonio. The cops here (at least the ones I have dealt with) are lazy. I had my aircraft gps stolen from my motor vehicle. I filled a report and was given a case #. I found the gps on craigslist a month later. Contacted the PD and they said to call back on Monday since they don't handle property crime cases on the weekend. Knowing full well it would be gone by then, I scheduled a meet up at HEB to buy the gps. The odds looked good so I confronted the three crooks and reclaimed my gps. I gave the cops everything that night. License plates on two vehicles, names of all three plus physical descriptions, and even their cell numbers. These guys were pros, one stalked/interviewed me for 30 minutes before calling in the other two which then brought the gps. They had numerous ads on CL with other property like ipods and cell phones. The cops could of taken out or at least looked at a crime ring in my neighborhood. Want to know what happened? NOTHING! Sorry to hijack your story but my point is nobody is going to look out for your stuff but you. Put it away or do a better job protecting it. I got lucky and got my stuff back.

No worries.. Similar thing happened when some punk ass illegals stole my sons phone at school, I did all of the work tracking the phone documenting calls, even went to the location and took pictures...at least the the officer followed up and we ended up getting the phone back, which he admits never happens..
    It's lack of man power, and hours.. If I can do it without any formal training, then imagine what they should be able to do. Alas, it's a phone and not on a list of priorities, which I get, but at the same time...today it's a phone, next week a car, then god forbid there kicking in your door..

yes, at least you got your stuff back... I will never see this gps again, not that it is a big deal, but it was mine...nuff said..

ryantx23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    North TX
    Cops shouldn't have the blame thrown on them when this kind of thing happens. The crooks are the ones to blame. Speaking as a LEO, I think we do our jobs well. But the CJ system lets us down time and time again. I know from personal experience, having arrested TONS of dirt bags only to see them out time and time again because of weak prosecution and them being paroled right back out on the streets. If anyone in the CJ system should have a finger pointed at them it should be the prosecutors, judges and defense attorneys who are all hand in hand with each other doing favors because they went to the same law school together, take each other to lunch several times a week and donate graciously to those who hold public office's campaign funds. And people talk about dirty cops.... In any case, stay safe out there guys and remain vigilant. We all have to do our part.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Cops shouldn't have the blame thrown on them when this kind of thing happens. The crooks are the ones to blame. Speaking as a LEO, I think we do our jobs well. But the CJ system lets us down time and time again. I know from personal experience, having arrested TONS of dirt bags only to see them out time and time again because of weak prosecution and them being paroled right back out on the streets. If anyone in the CJ system should have a finger pointed at them it should be the prosecutors, judges and defense attorneys who are all hand in hand with each other doing favors because they went to the same law school together, take each other to lunch several times a week and donate graciously to those who hold public office's campaign funds. And people talk about dirty cops.... In any case, stay safe out there guys and remain vigilant. We all have to do our part.

That's exactly what I am talking about...By System, I mean the courts, attorneys, etc... I can almost understand a second chance to someone that committed a petty crime, first time around...But it's the 2ND, 3RD, 12Th etc... that peeve me off to no end... lock um up, deport um, fry um, which ever category they belong...just don't subject the lawful, tax paying citizen to there misguided scene...

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    My condolences on your losses Randman. As many times as your cars have been broken into, it would probably be worth it to install your own CCTV camera on a recorder. Sounds like the work of a local crack-head or some young punks. Worst thing out in Leander to happen in recent years was the idiot kids who were pushing in peoples doorbells til' they stuck right at 3 am for 3 nights in a row. By the fourth night, I was waiting for them myself. That night the local PD was cruisin' down the street right at 3 am. The bell never rung at night after that. It was nice to see my tax dollars actually at work. Of course, I think I would have preferred to drag their asses back home to mom and dad and hold in their god-damn door bell til' their parents woke up, that would have been some sweet justice. In Austin, we had a guy buy a scooter on a stolen cc. When we saw him riding it around days later, I was disturbed by the lack of effort made to arrest him(Was reported immediately and called in day after day with his location and direction reported). One morning my co-worker followed him up to the mall and parked by the scooter as he went in. Several calls to the PD and a few hours later, he was finally arrested. Sadly, It took us pursuing him to a location, waiting for him to come out, and literally telling the officer, "that's the guy" for them to finally arrest him. Even when we spotted him in the area day after day, the local pd could not catch this elusive criminal. Kinda tells you how hard they really try. Not to badmouth police but if it's property and not a person their efforts seem minimal at best.

Top Bottom