• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schmellba99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio
    Thieves should have fingers or hands chopped off sans anestesia when they get caught.

Woke up this morning and walked out the hotel door to discover my truck had been broken into. Bastages got my M1991A1 .45 that I stupidly left in the console overnight. I rarely leave it in the truck, and almost never when I'm not at home, but I did last night and just learned a very expensive and hard to swallow lesson.
    That was the first gun I ever bought with my own money, my favorite CC firearm, and generally my favorite pistol. And now it's gone. I called the cops and filed a report, but deep down I know that the odds of me ever seeing it, the 2 holsters or 3 mags they got ever again are somewhere south of .001%.

I know there is a Saxet Gun Show this weekend in San Antonio - unfortunately I won't be able to go see if somebody is trying to pawn it off. If anybody is planning on going, keep an eye out for this:

Colts Officer's M1991A1 .45 ACP
    3" Barrel
    Trijicon night sights
    Hogue overmolded grip
    Ambidextrous safety
    Extended beavertail
    Wilson Combat brushed aluminum adjustable trigger
    Serial Number CP25239

1991A1Pic1.gif
    Target Sports

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    That sucks.

I also doubt you'll ever see it again... but we can hope. Leaving it in the truck was not a smooth move (yeah, I know... but I had to say it).

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Wow, sorry about your loss, man... that really sucks. I'd like to say "I'll keep an eye out for it" but I don't think I'll see it cross my path out here in the middle east. :(

B17-FE

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    SE TEXAS
    Hopefully they'll try to pawn it and the serial # will alert the PD.
    I've had a few things recovered just because I had the serial # and picture of the item.
    Sorry for the loss and good luck.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I'll keep an eye out for it at the show, but I honestly don't think anyone would be so stupid as to try and sell it at that venue. I suspect it's in some low-life's house right now.

As asked, were you in or around SA when it was stolen?

pawncop

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    I am also so sorry to hear of this. I will add this to my watch list and forward the serial number to local gun shops and pawn shop in the area. What city were you in?

schmellba99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio
    I should have stated that I'm in San Antonio right now. Staying at one of the hotels over by the airport, which apparently (and not very surprisingly) not exactly what one would define as a "low crime" area.

I just got done driving around the general vicinity - probably 15 apartment complexes within easy walking distance, and this particular hotel does not have anything resembling a security fence or any other "keep out" type devices.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    No security cameras in the parking lot? I travel extensively, and never leave it in the vehicle. Main reason is if I need it, I'm in the room - not the truck!<G>

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I should have stated that I'm in San Antonio right now. Staying at one of the hotels over by the airport, which apparently (and not very surprisingly) not exactly what one would define as a "low crime" area.

I just got done driving around the general vicinity - probably 15 apartment complexes within easy walking distance, and this particular hotel does not have anything resembling a security fence or any other "keep out" type devices.
    Which is WHY nothing of value should have been left in your vehicle overnight. Everybody knows motel parking lots are hot places for car breakins.

schmellba99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio
    I know I screwed up leaving it in the truck, no need to keep pointing it out. We've all made mistakes in our time - in this case, I fell asleep way earlier than normal and never finished getting things out of the vehicle.

That's maybe the 3rd time in 5 years I've left it in the vehicle overnight. And, obviously, the last time.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    That sucks for sure. Hotel parking lots are the worst for break ins. At 2 am thugs know everyone's sleeping and there is a good likely-hood that something of value is in those parked cars. Since that was in your console, they probably had no idea it was in there unless they observed you put it there. No doubt just looking for lap tops, GPS electronics and the like that are easy to pawn. They may not even know the value of that gun, and just sell it on the street for $100 or so. Or it could be on it's way to Mexico. But maybe you'll get lucky. Isn't it required that pawn shops check with LE on firearms brought in?

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I know I screwed up leaving it in the truck, no need to keep pointing it out. We've all made mistakes in our time - in this case, I fell asleep way earlier than normal and never finished getting things out of the vehicle.

That's maybe the 3rd time in 5 years I've left it in the vehicle overnight. And, obviously, the last time.
    Yeah. Sorry bout that. Didn't mean to beat you up... just pointing out the obvious for the rest of the crowd. It truly does suck that you can't leave your own property in your own locked vehicle and have it be safe.

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I know it's already been stated, but that really sucks! I know you shouldn't have left it in your vehicle, but at the same time... it was your vehicle and the sh*t bags should have left it alone in the first place! I doubt the thieves would try to sell it at the gunshow or a pawn shop because it is worth more on the street.... but I've been wrong before...

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009

Man, I'm in the extended stay hotel business and have to deal with this issue often & everytime I ask "why did you leave something valuble in your vehicle"? And I was getting ready to say to you how sorry I am that it happened to you & lecture you a little about how you are making it easy for them to make a living on hotel parking lots..... I'm traveling now and just realized...My Kahr is in my center console...in the parking lot...Gotta go.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    How can anyone but the thief carry the blame here? No one has the right to take what isn't theirs.

Sorry for your loss. Scum of the earth thieves should all be drawn and quartered. OP did nothing wrong. You leave something that's yours somewhere and it doesn't belong to anyone else automatically. Don't lecture honest people who get burned by evil. Guns get lifted from gunshow tables. Same loss, same type of scum.

Top Bottom