• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Agreed that the thief is the one at fault....and the OP KNEW he'd git reamed for leaving it in the vehicle, but told us anyways, which took guts (or a certain masochistic style....) View attachment 4601 Either way, we know to look for it, and have a fresh reminder to take 'em outta the vehicles overnight.

I travel almost weekly on out of town overnighters, and while my vehicles have been broken into a coupla times, they never got much - my guns NEVER stay in overnight at hotels because I BET they're gonna get in.
    Military Camp

512Ram

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Central Texas
    Thats one of my worst fears. Which reminds me i need to buy one of these In Car Gun Safe
    I also try to avoid hilton hotels because they have 30.06 posted, but i still take it in the hotel, but not carrying, i put in my suitcase because I'm pretty sure its safer in my room then in the car

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I've been thinking about getting one of these small car safes as well. Just wondered how sturdy secure some of these small safes are. Could a dirtbag with a screwdriver get in pretty easy???

512Ram

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Central Texas
    I've been thinking about getting one of these small car safes as well. Just wondered how sturdy secure some of these small safes are. Could a dirtbag with a screwdriver get in pretty easy???

well the rig i got right now is just a plastic taurus case with a barrel lock through the key hole. if the dirty thief has a good knife like i do (kershaw) he'd be able to get through it in a heart beat cuz that thing goes through plastic like butter!
    but what i keep thinking is that he'd be spending to much time on it and just let it go, but then again its a hood rat getting a hand gun and he'd probably spend all the time he has to get it.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    It would be great if the auto manufactures would make a decent hard box for cars in the location of the glove box or center console. It'd be nice if rental car agencies offered the car safe for rentals also.

schmellba99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio
    I'm glad my misfortune at least reminded a couple of people to run back to their car real fast. Something good came out of it.

I have a console vault (www.consolevault.com) on order as we speak. Will it stop a really determined theif? No, but it will stop the snatch and grab types. No safe is burglar proof, but at least it will be something else they have to deal with, and hopefully next time (I'm betting there is a next time) they'll just go onto something easier.

The funny thing is that they left my gps, which was displayed prominently on the dash, and while rummaging through my console they left my Superchips. Those two combined are worth a good $400 or $500 easy - and nobody is going to trace them or anything like that.

I'm guessing my gun is either in some chollo gangbanger's hand, or somewhere in Mexico. My only solace is that hopefully the gun and the handloaded rounds that were stolen with it are put to good use against other chollo gangbangers. At least that thought helps me sleep at night anyway.

I'd love to get a hold of the prick(s) that did this though. I guarantee that they would regret their decision because they would spend the rest of their life eating through a tube in their stomach. I am not a forgiving or nice person in situations like this.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I'm glad my misfortune at least reminded a couple of people to run back to their car real fast. Something good came out of it.

I have a console vault (www.consolevault.com) on order as we speak. Will it stop a really determined theif? No, but it will stop the snatch and grab types. No safe is burglar proof, but at least it will be something else they have to deal with, and hopefully next time (I'm betting there is a next time) they'll just go onto something easier.

The funny thing is that they left my gps, which was displayed prominently on the dash, and while rummaging through my console they left my Superchips. Those two combined are worth a good $400 or $500 easy - and nobody is going to trace them or anything like that.

I'm guessing my gun is either in some chollo gangbanger's hand, or somewhere in Mexico. My only solace is that hopefully the gun and the handloaded rounds that were stolen with it are put to good use against other chollo gangbangers. At least that thought helps me sleep at night anyway.

I'd love to get a hold of the prick(s) that did this though. I guarantee that they would regret their decision because they would spend the rest of their life eating through a tube in their stomach. I am not a forgiving or nice person in situations like this.

It happened and everyone screws up.. we are just glad it wasn't worse... Unfortunately it's probably a few blocks South or East of where it was taken and the scum who has it hasn't a clue at what he or she got. Just know that every thief and murderer gets what is coming to them.. sometimes sooner then latter???

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas

You'd have the voluntary help of many people on this forum, I'm sure. I'm certainly in.

Duncan.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    houston
    I just got one of my colt 1911s back that was stolen out of my truck ten years ago.

Long story posted on here somewhere

Of course it was used in a robbery and likely a murder but they didn't scratch the new parkerized finish and it still shoots with surgical accuracy so I am happy as I can be.

I have never left a gun in my truck since, not even to run in the store, back in the house, not for five seconds. I bet you won't ever do it again either and with a little luck and a lot of prayers you may get yours back too.

I doubt it will ever see a gun show honestly.

About those safes I own a shop in Houston we do a lot of custom work and the console vault is the worst one in my opinion. They screw in to plastic so aside from the fact you can open it with a chisel and hammer in about 4 seconds you can literally tear it out of the console or yank the whole console out in a few seconds and open it when you get home or to your drug den.

Buy a gun vault at least it can be bolted to your metal floor and if secured properly in the right spot can be made very dificult or nearly impossible to open in the vehicle. They're cheap too

Or even buy the small cheap safe that bolts under the seat or to any metal floor board in trunk etc is better but can still be opened with a screw driver or hammer and chisel.

If you really want a small safe to secure to your car eurovault and fortress make one that is a REAL safe that can not be opened with hand tools while in the car but they cost over a grand. You usually get what you pay for.

The console vault was real popular a few months back until I had half my customers coming back with them ripped from their consoles or their whole console gone. Plus it is made from metal about the thickness of a filing cabinet just doubled at the lock.

the console vault is a cool idea but I wouldn't trust it to keep my sons diaper bag safe. Sorry to jack your thread I just hate to see people waste money on something that can potentially lead to the loss of much more.

Hope you get lucky like me and they recover your gun if it took a few lives don't sweat it as long as they didn't beat it up. jk but good luck.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I kept an eye out at the SAXET show this morning, but obviously couldn't have looked at every pistol in the place. I focused on the personal sales tables and not the big dealers, but I didn't see a single M1991A1 in the place. I even showed the pic to my 13-yr-old son, as he has a good eye for spotting things, but nothing from him either. I suspect you may be right as to the current location of your stolen Colt, but with any luck not only will it be used to take out another drug/gang member, maybe it will draw fire from some LE agent and get the thief full of holes as well.

Sorry for your loss, some lessons in life are very expensive...

Cheers! M2

dieselmech

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    dfw
    you may want to do a little looking at jimmy jammers. they work great. the only issue is the amout of damage a bone head can do before giving up.

schmellba99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio
    So far I think the little console vault will do just fine. I never expected it to be Ft. Knox or anything remotely close. It doesn't bolt to plastic though - it does bolt to the floor of the truck cab. A determined theif with a little time would figure out how to get in relatively easy, but those types are also going to be able to get into pretty much anything you can put in a vehicle and still have quick and easy access to it.

I will never leave a firearm in my truck again though, unless I'm carrying and can't carry into a particular place for one reason or another, which is the purpose of the console vault - temporary short term storage that at least makes it difficult for the bastage to get into.

The only good thing to come out of this is that it gave me a good reason to break down and take my 1945 vintage military contract 1911 and get it restored. Hopefully another week and I'll have that one back to finally take to the range. It's sad that I bought a handgun 6 months ago and have still yet to put a single round downrange.

schmellba99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio
    No update on my stolen pistol, but my vehicle was broken into again about 2 months after the Colt was lifted. This time the assholes got my work computer, briefcase, company phone and my external hard drive with 5 years worth of work and other miscellaneous crap on it.

The console vault did it's job though - you could tell they tried to get into it but gave up real quick. Doesn't get my other stuff back. Made for a bad couple of weeks at work waiting on replacement equipment.

I really hate San Antonio. That freaking place is full of thieves. The last go around they hit my truck up while I was eating lunch. On the way to a meeting. That I missed waiting for over 45 minutes for SAPD to show up to file my report.

Again - until we decide that theives need to suffer severe punishment for being thieves, I don't see anything changing. I generally disagree with anything that comes out of the middle east in terms of social policy, but I could easily get on board with the practice of chopping off hands as a punishment for stealing.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I imagine that if more of them were blown away while trying to jack stuff, more of them would think twice before committing the act.. I could be wrong.. Crime is getting, has been, way out of control.. We need to put more pressure on our representatives to come up with stiffer penalties from criminals..

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    I had a buddy of mine have everything stolen out of his truck during the day at an outback steakhouse in San antonio, the couldn't steal the truck (they tried and destroyed the ignition) but they took thousands of dollars worth of equipment he just picked up. It is time some examples are made of these thieves if you catch my drift.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    No update on my stolen pistol, but my vehicle was broken into again about 2 months after the Colt was lifted. This time the assholes got my work computer, briefcase, company phone and my external hard drive with 5 years worth of work and other miscellaneous crap on it.

The console vault did it's job though - you could tell they tried to get into it but gave up real quick. Doesn't get my other stuff back. Made for a bad couple of weeks at work waiting on replacement equipment.

Thanks for the update. These threads are 100x more valuable with this type of information.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hmmm....

if ya are gonna elave it in your car, leave a loaded mag in it - loaded with RDX isntead of gunpowder.

they would only shoot it once!

Top Bottom