• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BABBALOU1956

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2021
    Lewisville
    A few years ago I thought of getting a truck gun. Got a small safe to bolt onto the floor under the seat. Hadn't installed it yet when someone broke into my truck. If the alarm went off I wasn't home. Console & glove box were open. Door was ajar. Papers on the floor but there was nothing to steal. Then someone at work broke out my window but nothing in it to steal. Then some broke into my car at work & just stole my garage door opener. At this point I'm rethinking keeping a gun in my truck. Then on my neighborhood watch (next-door.com) people started reporting their cars getting broken into & one had a new pistol stolen. Ok, no truck gun. I won't even leave my gun in the truck 20 minutes to stop in a place I can't carry. I'll take it home. Maybe newer vehicles are harder to break into, I've got a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT. I don't like the idea of arming criminals with my guns. Just my personal preference.
    Target Sports

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I think before you leave a weapon in your vehicle overnight, you should consider all of the things you mentioned. However... if you have your weapon in the vehicle and it is out of site and some POS breaks in and steals it.. you didn't arm them. They committed a crime
    my "truck" gun is in side my Go Bag which comes inside the garage at night.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I’ve got a steel console safe in our trucks...but I don’t leave guns or anything valuable in them overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I dont carry a truck gun, but always carry my EDC. I've considered a truck gun when we lived closer to the city. Now that we're way out in the stix, i dont worry about the inner city BS like i used to. I figure the extra mag i carry gives me 31 rnds. to get me out of trouble if needed.

Im wondering what makes the OP's truck a target .... 3 different times. What is it about a Ford Ranger that screams...please break in?

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I dont carry a truck gun, but always carry my EDC. I've considered a truck gun when we lived closer to the city. Now that we're way out in the stix, i dont worry about the inner city BS like i used to. I figure the extra mag i carry gives me 31 rnds. to get me out of trouble if needed.

Im wondering what makes the OP's truck a target .... 3 different times. What is it about a Ford Ranger that screams...please break in?
    Probably hoods looking for work tools to pawn

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I always keep a long gun of some sort in my trucks. Something cheap that works.

It's never in an easy place to find but also not real hard to get to.

I worry more about being in a situation where I need more firepower than my CC than I do about losing a $300 rifle or shotgun.

I also think the police are going to take a stolen firearm complaint more seriously than if they just got your change and radio. Keep the serial number and some pictures handy in case it does get taken.

But to each their own. Being prepared is a high priority to me.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The only truck gun I have is the one I carry whenever I leave the house. I can think of no reason to store a gun in a vehicle over night.
    Those are two completely different statements.

Assuming the gun you carry is your CC that is probably the worst possible firearm to use in a firefight. In the right hands using good tactics it's an amazing tool for sure. But you're probably going to be outgunned in any serious situation.

My vehicle in my driveway is probably the safest place I will be parked. I don't feel the need to load and unload a long gun every time I get home or leave.

But the long gun will be in my vehicle if I need it.

Yes, if there's trouble and I get to my vehicle I could probably just drive away. I like to have other options though.

I like to plan for the worst possible scenario.

Not arguing by any means either. Just offering a different viewpoint.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    The only place I dont carry is a dr office or outpatient center. Still take a gun but more discreetly, if I'm being sedated I usually leave it at home. If stored in the car it's in a Disabled spot by the front door.

Never leave your gun in your car at home. Kids trying car doors at night is literally an epidemic in cities now. Almost a nightly occurrence regardless of the neighborhood.

JGW006

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2021
    McKinney
    When I travel I keep an AR 15 in the back (suv) in addition to my edc. I used to keep an SKS in each of our vehicles at all times. The SKS was so cheap it wouldn’t matter if it was bounced around, scratched up, etc.

JGW

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    The only place I dont carry is a dr office or outpatient center. Still take a gun but more discreetly, if I'm being sedated I usually leave it at home. If stored in the car it's in a Disabled spot by the front door.

Never leave your gun in your car at home. Kids trying car doors at night is literally an epidemic in cities now. Almost a nightly occurrence regardless of the neighborhood.

Not just the cities, it happens in rural areas too... Of course it is funny when 3 large dogs show up at the fence and start barking and the perps drop everything and run.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I have a Toyota Corolla trunk gun. I stuck my Henry survival rifle in the trunk over a year ago. If I ever break down, miles from nowhere, I wil have a rifle to shoot dinner. If it is ever stolen, well there goes the only gun for which my wife bought me a gun store gift certificate.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I have a gun safe mounted under my back seat with a cheap pistol as a full time resident. There’s usually a long gun of some sort stashed away in my truck too, although it changes frequently. It could be a PCC, an AR, or sometimes its a lever action.

Reactions: gll
    Top Bottom