Join TexasGunTalk

Truck lock box and discrete "Dewalt" box

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by JColumbus, May 14, 2020.

1. JColumbus

JColumbus Well-Known

Jun 28, 2012
    Hey guys, if you're going to comment, please read the post. I give details in the post that may answer curiosities you may have. It's 2 for 2 so far, so yea just read it so you don't post something that I've already addressed and have to reiterate.

This pistol is such a fun build. It inspires the tinkering and creation of things none of my other firearms really inspire.

Anyway, I've carried an AR pistol wherever I go for about 2 years now. My biggest issue was always leaving it in the car. I've always tried to secure it as best I could, but it was never good enough. This purpose was the original thing that led me toward looking for compact, takedown builds.

I think takedown ARs are awesome and fun, but the only practical use I have for it, IS to be able to lock it up in the truck. Otherwise I probably wouldn't had been as interested. I wouldn't lock it up to go get gas, or go in a corner store, or a restaurant if I can see my car, or any other quick trips. It would be for those long, I can't see my car and I'm not around it, trips.

Every other aspect is just the cool factor. So SINCE I can do "cool" stuff with it, I decided that it's home, when carrying it to the range, or wherever else, would be a discrete package. I decided to go with an old Dewalt case I had sitting around.

I still need to buy the foam, and the other rail inside is for a 10.5" 5.56 QRB setup, so I can easily switch between 300AAC (the 7.5" current setup), and the 10.5.

As for the lockbox, it will be bolted to the truck, on a slide out system, under a seat. Once locked in, it would take someone hours to figure out a way to get it.

Last, as to the "you'll be dead before you can get to it" thoughts; It'd be a RARE thing to have it in this box, but IF I were ever getting into my SUV and the boogeyman came at me, I would default to the cary pistol. That would almost always be the case, even if the AR is ready to go. Having an AR pistol and using it for defense will almost always be in a situation where you have reaction time. When split seconds count, while you're out and about, it's gonna be what's on the hip.

IMG_3180.jpg IMG_3181.jpg IMG_3182.jpg IMG_3184.jpg IMG_3188.jpg

Anyway, nothing is set in stone but these are the ideas, so far.

Thanks for checking out my nonsense and God bless.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  2. Big Green

Big Green Pew Pew TGT Supporter

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Looks like a nice little firearm and I really like the idea of having it hidden somewhere.

Having said that, this seems like the other conversation about not having a round in the chamber. What’s the point of having it in the truck at all if it is that disassembled? Even the optic has been removed. As small as that package is I would think you could do something similar that allows the weapon to be stored more put together. Even the lower with a mag inserted and the upper with optic still attached would be better.

3. JColumbus

JColumbus Well-Known

Jun 28, 2012
    Funny, I just responded to that thread.

But no, it's not like that at all cause I have a pistol on my hip, with a round in the chamber.

Also, I get what you're saying but with the rarity I stated in the post, not sure if you read it, it would rarely be in the lock box. For the rare times I've been away from the car long enough to be worried about it, each time, I thought "damn it, if only I can lock it up in a bolted down safe or something".

So yea, there'd be no point if it was broken down even sometimes. But as the post states, it's a rare occasion.

4. Big Green

Big Green Pew Pew TGT Supporter

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I read and re-read and saw you mentioned how rarely it may occur before I posted originally. Just seems like too much trouble taken apart like that.

5. JColumbus

JColumbus Well-Known

Jun 28, 2012
    It's actually really easy. I know that there's the whole stress factor and all of that, but I had the wife time me and in a calm state, it only took 37 seconds to put back together.

Wait till I buy my concealed carry pocket box. I'm going to break it down to every last part, springs, detents and all. Then when a "perp" walks up to me, I'll take out my tactical time out whistle and bedazzle him with how fast I can put every piece back together, and right when he's hypnotized and dazed, I'll sneak my money into his back pocket and run. He'll THINK I tricked him and got away. Only to realize when he gets home, that he tricked ME into giving him my money... None of this makes sense... Anyway... RARE.

Sasquatch likes this.
  6. busykngt

busykngt TGT Addict

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Wouldn’t a box marked DeWalt be just as attractive to a thief? I mean, after all, they’re after stuff they can pawn. .

I would think any box that’s visible would get their attention whether it’s marked or unmarked. Unless it’s secured with something they can’t readily overcome with some tin snips, I’d say you’re likely to be subject to a “smash & grab” type vehicle break in.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    F350-6, Bozz10mm, toddnjoyce and 3 others like this.
  7. JColumbus

JColumbus Well-Known

Jun 28, 2012
    Whaaaa.....?

Why would I leave my firearm in a Dewalt box, in my vehicle?

Did you read the post? That's what the lock box is for. The Dewalt box is just a fun project to cary it to and from the range, or to a friend's house. I TYPED that...

8. Byrd666

Byrd666 Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere TGT Supporter

Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Will read through at a later time

9. BuzzinSATX

BuzzinSATX Active Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Outside San Antonio
    I think you have a very creative and non threatening (visually) way of transporting and keeping your AR pistol available. And ultimately, it’s pretty much child and novice proof and most people wouldn’t be able to make it go bang without a lot of time and likely trial and error.

If you see value in it, I think it’s a good thing. I can clearly see how this is a pretty smart idea. Not for everyone, but definitely for some folks.

thanks for sharing...take care,

10. BuzzinSATX

BuzzinSATX Active Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Outside San Antonio
    Question.

I understand that it’s not an immediate action tool and “some assembly required”. Got all that and this is just a technical question...I am curious...assuming good light and working area conditions, how long to get the gun from “pieces to pee pew”? And are tools needed?

Clearly it’s like anything where practice would speed assembly times, but on average...when you are trying to move with a purpose...

take care.

Thanks!

JColumbus likes this.