Texas SOT

Try to wrap your mind around this one...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    This is crazy enough to make Jon Stewart's show. It's a couple of days old...and it didn't. Why am I not surprised?

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Seems like they are trying to set a precedent. An "emotionally disturbed" person who was literally playing in traffic is an easy target to intimidate. If they can find him guilty, then the next time NYPD cops accidentally hit some bystanders it won't be their fault.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    So now officers not only can fire a gun in a crowded situation at an unarmed man, but now they also can do so without anyone to answer to afterwards? Absolute bullshit.

Whatever happened to tazers or mace?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So now officers not only can fire a gun in a crowded situation at an unarmed man, but now they also can do so without anyone to answer to afterwards? Absolute bullshit.

Whatever happened to tazers or mace?

They did use a taser......after they shot 2 people.

I'm not actually all that upset about them shooting, I don't know what all the guy was doing or if he might have been making threats. I'm just upset they are tryin to pin him for shooting two people when he didn't have a gun.

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    The way liberals think never cease to amaze me, just when you think you have heard it all, they come up with more crap.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    It has been common practice in this country to charge a person who, through their actions, forced a poorly-executed reaction which harms another person, with whatever crimes considered appropriate for the circumstance. I know that sentence is a little hard to digest, so here's an example from real life:

Two dudes rob a convenience store; both have guns. Shopkeeper pulls a gun and shoots one; both suspects flee. Shot suspect dies shortly later, but not before ratting out his partner. Police find and arrest his partner and charge him with manslaughter. Why? Because his reckless actions lead to the death of another person, even if it was not supposed to happen. Like it or not people get charged this way all the time.

Biggest thing to get upset about here is NYPD has once again shown it needs to be issued rubber guns.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    It has been common practice in this country to charge a person who, through their actions, forced a poorly-executed reaction which harms another person, with whatever crimes considered appropriate for the circumstance. I know that sentence is a little hard to digest, so here's an example from real life:

Two dudes rob a convenience store; both have guns. Shopkeeper pulls a gun and shoots one; both suspects flee. Shot suspect dies shortly later, but not before ratting out his partner. Police find and arrest his partner and charge him with manslaughter. Why? Because his reckless actions lead to the death of another person, even if it was not supposed to happen. Like it or not people get charged this way all the time.

Biggest thing to get upset about here is NYPD has once again shown it needs to be issued rubber guns.

I could understand if they charged the man with attempted manslaughter (based on this precedent, not agreeing with it at all), but how did he in any way assault these women? And yes they should issue NYPD airsoft guns, I don't even trust them with rubber bullets, they have time and time again proved to be worse shots than a lowly 10 month gun newb like me (still have yet to hit anything but BGs in the IDPA matches I've been in).

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Two dudes rob a convenience store; both have guns. Shopkeeper pulls a gun and shoots one; both suspects flee. Shot suspect dies shortly later, but not before ratting out his partner. Police find and arrest his partner and charge him with murder. Why? Because his reckless actions lead to the death of another person, even if it was not supposed to happen. Like it or not people get charged this way all the time.

FIFY.

In Texas, it has to be a felony being committed. Texas Penal Code - Section 7.02. Criminal Responsibility For Conduct Of Another - Texas Attorney Resources - Texas Laws

IIRC, Texas' version of the Felony Murder Rule allows for the application of capital punishment.

But yes, NYPD needs to have their real guns taken away already. They aren't going to teach the officers how to shoot, they're going to put shittier and shittier triggers in the guns, and the NYPD is just going to keep missing intended targets and hitting bystanders.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

That's pure stupidity. Asshat number one chose to be an asshat. Asshat number two didn't shoot him and didn't cause him to get shot, asshat number one made that choice.

By the logic in NY, if I draw my CC weapon and miss hitting a bystander during an otherwise legal shoot I am innocent, correct? Not something I would bet my life on, nor is it reasonable IMO.

To be clear, I was referring to this method of prosecution as pure stupidity, not your comment.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Just reminds me of the burglar who successfully sued a homeowner after falling through his skylight onto knives. Homeowner obviously should have realized how tempting that skylight was to break in to and should have never thought about leaving knives out in his own home ><

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    That's pure stupidity. Asshat number one chose to be an asshat. Asshat number two didn't shoot him and didn't cause him to get shot, asshat number one made that choice.

By the logic in NY, if I draw my CC weapon and miss hitting a bystander during an otherwise legal shoot I am innocent, correct? Not something I would bet my life on, nor is it reasonable IMO.

To be clear, I was referring to this method of prosecution as pure stupidity, not your comment.

The felony murder thing goes back a long way, it's rooted in Common Law. I'm sure one of the premises is that scumbags prefer to attack in groups, so if scumbag A doesn't go along with scumbag B, then the robbery or whatever wouldn't have happened. Probably... either way, scumbag A is just as at fault for the bad situation as B, so if shit goes wrong and he's the only one of the pair left to blame it all on, he inherits it.

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX

No, since your a civilian you shouldnt have guns, let alone let the idea of shooting another person cross your mind.... Thats an automatic 25yrs

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Wait....what??

First off, you should NEVER draw unless you see a weapon and second, ALWAYS check your background and surroundings. They shouldn't have opened fire in the first place but they missed? And they blamed it on an unarmed man? Thank God I live in Texas where stupid chit like this doesn't happen like in NY. Goodness.

And to think they were trying to purchase Barrett .50s for the department last year which was intelligently denied by Barrett. Imbeciles.

-TXG

Last edited:

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Here is a question for the LEO's.....
    What is the protocol at your dept for engaging a suspect with your firearm?
    I believe several of the APD shootings have centered around.....I thought he was going for a gun......
    Is there a set rule that you bave to see a weapon? Or if a person reaches, is that enough? Or does the entire situation get looked at as a whole?

Top Bottom