Join TexasGunTalk

Trying to buy a house in Dallas SUCKS!!

Discussion in 'Dallas & Fort Worth' started by supermilano, Mar 3, 2017.

1. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    This is my dilemma. I can sell my free & clear Austin house for a bundle, but where would I move to? I wouldn't mind farther west in small town in the Hill Country but where? Everywhere, is seems has gotten really expensive. Other than that, it would be out of state, probably a mountain state.

At my age it seems just easier to tough it out here in Austin and keep riding the RE appreciation higher and higher as my living expenses are minimal with the exception of Austin RE taxes. I long as I don't lose my SALT deductions in the tax redo I am better off financially by sitting tight even though I like it here less and less every day.

Davetex likes this.
  2. Tex62

Tex62 Member

Jan 21, 2014
    I am in the same boat here in Dallas. My previous manager was ok with working remotely, so I started looking at some small towns around Cleburne, Godley and Keene. I was finding more house with acreage than I have here in Carrollton, but then we reorg'ed and the new boss is anti work from home.

It is starting to suck in North Dallas.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

3. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I recently changed jobs and went from driving from Lewisville to 6 miles south of Dallas (40 mile commute through down town) to a location 10 minutes from my house.

My wife works 1 mile from our house.

Kids are married and gone.

We won’t be moving any time soon!

4. Tex62

Tex62 Member

Jan 21, 2014
    I might have been able to tolerate the massive influx of H1B visa holders and the crowds, but the damned city decided to put in a splash park across the street and now I have screaming children from 9am to 8pm April through October. The crowds on the weekends are insane for a 2000 sqft splash pad. One weekend, you couldn't drive down my street and there was no parking available for a quarter mile.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

5. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban Staff Member Admin

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    Re-zone.
    Open a bar.

6. RadioHack

RadioHack New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I guess I must live in one of the most desirable Zip Codes, every day in the mailbox there's some letter from a realtor wanting me to list the house. But if I sold, where would we live when everything is so expensive? Even make a $160,000 profit on this house, there's nothing close that would be worth it.

supermilano likes this.
  7. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Yep, same "problem" I have.

supermilano and RadioHack like this.
  8. supermilano

supermilano New Member

Dec 20, 2016
    N. Dallas
    I won't be buying a house in DFW anymore we will be relocating to Oklahoma come March, I am fortunate enough to work remote. I can take my current salary and it will go a lot further in Oklahoma. I will just have to spend 1 week every 2 months in Dallas, TX which is going to SUCK with the traveling and ect. But I'm ready to own a home and get out of this ridiculous rent rates/home prices that's going on down here. To all the future home buyers in DFW Good LUCK!

9. supermilano

supermilano New Member

Dec 20, 2016
    N. Dallas
    Yeah don't sell if Amazon does pick this city you'll see appreciation sky rocket even more. Or sell it and live in your car and bet your 160k on Crypto lol

RadioHack likes this.
  10. busykngt

busykngt TGT Addict

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Undoubtedly your income will go further when it comes to purchasing real estate in Oklahoma AND no doubt, paying property taxes (basic law of ‘supply & demand’). However you will also get to pay 5.25% state income tax (verses Texas = 0% state income tax). You’re lucky in that you have a job that will {mostly} allow you to ‘telecommute’... many people are not so fortunate.

supermilano likes this.