• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasRose

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    I am new to the site. I have been raised around guns, I just don't have my own yet. I want to get a hand gun. My parents would rather me get a revolver so I was thinking about the Ruger-SP101-KSP with laser grips. But I also like the Kimber stainless ultra carry 2. Any suggestions would be very helpful! Thank you! :1zhelp:
    Target Sports

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Welcome aboard! Your choice will depend on the purpose and ultimately your preference. You have made two fine choices and can't go wrong with either. If the budget allows, just buy both that way you have the beginnings of a "collection."

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I'm a BIG Ruger fan and thats a nice gun
    I own several Rugers and have never had any problem with one. One in particular I'm surprised at how well it's held up with over max 44mag loads.
    It's a Super Blackhawk with a 10.5 bull barrel. Owned it near 25 years and never a problem and as accurate as it was new.
    Can't speak on the Kimber - sorry!

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I am new to the site. I have been raised around guns, I just don't have my own yet. I want to get a hand gun. My parents would rather me get a revolver so I was thinking about the Ruger-SP101-KSP with laser grips. But I also like the Kimber stainless ultra carry 2. Any suggestions would be very helpful! Thank you! :1zhelp:

Kinda like trying to decide if you want a soda or a milkshake....two very extreme differences.

But, welcome to the board....

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Those would be two excellent choices. My recommendation would be to try and find a shooting range near you that does rentals and that has at least one of those guns or something similar. Also, you might post a thread in the handguns section and see if there is someone near you that has one or both of these guns and would be willing to let you try them out. It really helps to shoot a gun you are interested in, before purchasing, if at all possible. While a gun may feel comfortable in the hand when just handling it, sometimes certain guns can feel completely different when actually shooting them.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

Go to a store and handle both. Make sure on the Kimber you can operate the slide, alot of people have difficulty with new Kimbers because they are so tight and the smaller ones are heavily sprung.

Your parents are suggesting a revolver because they are simply point and pull trigger kinda guns. There's no jamming or magazine changes. It's popular for women, and men both, because of that reason.

The revolver is forgiving, a short barrel 1911 is not.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    For a young person's first handgun, in the interest of safety and learning, I vote for the Ruger. It is indeed one of the best revolvers out there.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I just want to disagree with TXSUT. Don't get a revolver just because it is your first. Automatics are not complicated.

I'm not saying not to get a revolver, just don't get one cause you think you have to.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Beleive it or not, parents usually give good advice A good revolver like a Ruger or S&W is dependable and will last a lifetime if it's taken care of. They never go out of style.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I just want to disagree with TXSUT. Don't get a revolver just because it is your first.

I did not say to get a revolver just because it is his first. Safety and learning come easier with a revolver than a 1911, and nobody can argue that point.

Top Bottom